Rickon is FIERCE

1. That the Hound was the face-hiding gravedigger on the Quiet Isle. I suspected he was alive and kicking and had made some confession to the brother in the cave, but somehow missed that he was there in plain sight.

2. That LF was the Prime Mover in Sansa's escape. I don't know why I didn't think of it, since he was the Prime Mover in a whole lot of everything else and had the resources and connections to carry it off, and he clearly had a thing for her from the moment he saw her.

3. That Arstan Whitebeard was Barristan Selmy. Again, knew he'd be back, don't know why I didn't put "Barristan" and "Arstan" together (duh- like "Griff" and "Griffin's Roost").

4. Alleras=Sarella. This one's up for debate, but the theory sounds really good.

So that's my list of shame. What's yours? Join me and post if you're not afraid!

- The Frey Pie (are we really sure for this one ? If someone has a link or a quote... it would be nice).

- Sandor (although I was sure he was alive, after the monk's speech and Gregor's resurrection).

- Sarella (don't even know where she appears xD).

- The all Pate/Jaqen story.. Did'nt understand a shit until someone explained it to me.

- And many more I guess...

This website has been my Holy Grail of understanding on these books.

I didn't catch any of the stuff you mention until seeing it here and still need to go back to see about the Hound.

I thought Bran and Rickon were dead. Even now on a reread of Clash, I had to read the last paragraph of Theon's chapter where he is hunting down the boys to understand what Reek/Ramsay had in the bag. Also did not see the Reek/Ramsay reveal and betrayal of Theon coming or that Theon wasn't truly dead.

I still don't get how you all know that the man who kills Pate in the prologue of Feast is Jaquen. How is that connection made? I'm not saying I don't believe it. I'm just not sure how you get that conclusion.

I also thought Davos was dead and didn't even read his chapters at first in A Dance with Dragons because I thought it was pointless to read about a dead man. In fact, I've thought that most people who died were dead and not coming back.

On my first read (and before fan blogs), I thought Jon was surely the child of Eddard and Lyanna and their relationship paralleled Cersei and Jamie's sibling incest.

I knew immediately about the royal children being Jamie's bastards, but I really did believe that John Arryn was murdered by Ser Hugh and paid off by Cersei. The Littlefinger/Lysa reveal shocked me, but I did believe the hints in Clash that they had a relationship in their childhood.

I'm sure there are many, many more...

It took me an inordinate amount of time to figure out that Mance was the bard in Winterfell. I was embarassed when I talked to my wife about it, and she could of looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Oh, yes... me too... got it eventually, so I left it off the list due to that technicality :dunce:

I thought Bran and Rickon were dead. Even now on a reread of Clash, I had to read the last paragraph of Theon's chapter where he is hunting down the boys to understand what Reek/Ramsay had in the bag. Also did not see the Reek/Ramsay reveal.

I thought they were at first, too, but couldn't shake the idea that soooo much time had been spent on Bran and the three-eyed-crow that more had to be coming there. My suspicion was that Bran was going to live on as a face in a godswood tree somehow. Don't I feel kinda smart now? However my latest suspicion is that Bran may not tree-morph like the three-eyed-crow after all, but we'll see.

I would be very impressed indeed if anyone understood or predicted what "Reek" had in the bag and what he had planned upon the first read. Same with the Ramsay/Reek reveal. I didn't see them coming either, but I'm not ashamed to admit that, that's why I left them off my list :D

I did believe the hints in Clash that they [Lysa and Littlefinger] had a relationship in their childhood.

No doubt in my mind Lysa and Littlefinger got it on back in the day from the first moment it was mentioned.

1. That the Hound was the face-hiding gravedigger on the Quiet Isle. I suspected he was alive and kicking and had made some confession to the brother in the cave, but somehow missed that he was there in plain sight.

I have not done a reread yet, but I completely missed this until I read about it here.

This website has been my Holy Grail of understanding on these books.

I agree, there is so much stuff that I have read here on this site, that I completely missed reading the books.

The one that I did get was Pate/faceless men. I was not sure it was Jaqen though.

The one think that really took me by surprise was Renly and Loras. I completely missed it in novels, and thought the series was taking way to many liberties with the characters in writing this in.

The one think that really took me by surprise was Renly and Loras. I completely missed it in novels, and thought the series was taking way to many liberties with the characters in writing this in.

I hinted at this one to my husband when he was reading the series (one book behind me) right before he read about Renly's death. A few minutes after he figured it out he said, "Ohhh...so when Renly asked Loras to stay behind the night before the battle with Stannis and "pray" with him they weren't really praying, were they..." :lmao:

I didn't figure out that Joff, Tommen, and Myrcella were all children of incest until Ned figured it out. Even though we knew Jaime and Cersei were lovers. Didn't see what Jon Arryn was driving at when he was checking out all Robert's bastards and looking at the descriptions of the Houses in that book.

I also didn't realise Mance was the bard in Winterfell.

And I missed the Frey pie thing completely. Will have to re-read.

I got the Hound = Gravedigger right away, but I think that's because I didn't want to believe he was dead and so was looking for any mention that even sounded like him.

Got Renley and Loras but the whole Pate/Jaquen thing is brand new to me from this thread -- now I'm definitely going to re-read those bits! I could tell something fishy was afoot when "Pate" introduced himself to Sam but had no clue what it was. Innnnteresting.

Frey Pie was another bit of awesomeness that was revealed to me in this Forum -- totally didn't catch it in the book.

Sometimes I feel like I must be missing something ... like the whole bit about Margaery and the Moon Tea. I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone else totally gets why the Maester would have been giving her that, and it's just me that missed something. I'm sure there's a whole thread on it somewhere!

I think the Renly/Loras relationship was pretty subtle in the books, but I guess the night of "prayer" combined with the Rainbow Guard and hints that Renly liked flamboyant dress were supposed to be enough.

There's also the passage of Jaime's where Loras threatens Brienne and Jaime tells Loras to sheathe his sword or Jaime will shove it up "someplace even Renly never found." :leer:

Reading the forum and Re-reading the books has been like watching The 6th Sense for the 2nd time for me. If I could use an excuse though, is that I like to read fast and absorb a lot of material. Anywho, here's what I can remember missing the first time.

- Renly and Lorass: My first impression was that Renly was a metro-sexual that enjoyed the finer things in life, and Lorass a Boy-Band type (though obviously physically skilled)... but after reading the forum it all came flashing back and I realized everything at once....I laugh every time I see mention of it now because it was the first thing that I realize I misunderstood in my first read.

- Frey Pie: My respect for Manderly grew ten fold when I realized the truth behind his gourmet delicacies.

- R + L = J : Is it true? Is it just a fan Theory? Only time will tell.... but the truth is whenever I first read it I thought it was a bunch of malarkey but before I finished reading the examples for the theory I couldn't imagine it anyway else...

- Barristan's Alternate Identity: Tricky, not majorly important, but did "get" me.

- Three Eyed Crow: I didn't get the relation that he was a Night's Watchman (crow/raven) that was also a greenseer (3 eyed)....I had originally thought he was aptly named because in Bran's dream he was literally a crow with 3 eyes..... :dunce:

1, 3, and 4.

For hound, I didn't suspect the gravedigger at all. I figured if it was the hound they surely would've mentioned his burned arm, face in the description somewhere.

Arstan, he obviously wasn't just a squire but I never picked up on him being Ser Barristan - hell even Jorah didn't know and he'd seen him before.

Alleras = Sarella - I'm horrible with Anagrams, even with ones as obvious as this. Though to be fair, Sarella is mentioned, what, like once in the text? Probably a lot of people missed that one.

Frey pie. I'm not sure I ever would've guessed this one. The rat cook thing came only at the end when he was leaving the room, and plus, he ate it himself...

Mance = Abel. Again, I'm horrible with Anagrams (Bael = Abel) and it didn't click for me until one of the spearwives said kneelers - "Of course he is" I thought when I finally got it.

I almost wish I didn't read the forums sometimes as I might have picked up a lot of this on a reread.

Archived