Rickon is FIERCE

Yeh that and the monotony of the person's voice puts me to sleep so I have to replay many paragraphs, and it all washes over you and you don't remember details because the part of the brain that locks onto words and stores them as memories isn't as active when I'm just listening. Plus, how many tapes are we talking about for one of these books? 114?

--------

I still don't know whether Tysha is really a whore or not. Best guess: Apparently she was, but she also seems to have shared something legit with Tyrion. But he felt betrayed and angry, imagining it was just him with the feelings while she'd only been there for the pay. Then everyone banged her and he joined in to be one of the guys. Well there you have it, folks. The power of peer pressure. A cautionary tale. You will have lingering guilt over treating your girlfriend that way, as Tyrion shows us. A most informative episode. A teachable moment.

Yeh that and the monotony of the person's voice puts me to sleep so I have to replay many paragraphs, and it all washes over you and you don't remember details because the part of the brain that locks onto words and stores them as memories isn't as active when I'm just listening. Plus, how many tapes are we talking about for one of these books? 114?

--------

I still don't know whether Tysha is really a whore or not. Best guess: Apparently she was, but she also seems to have shared something legit with Tyrion. But he felt betrayed and angry, imagining it was just him with the feelings while she'd only been there for the pay. Then everyone banged her and he joined in to be one of the guys. Well there you have it, folks. The power of peer pressure. A cautionary tale. You will have lingering guilt over treating your girlfriend that way, as Tyrion shows us. A most informative episode. A teachable moment.

Roy Dotrice does the majority of the books and I feel he overall does an excellent job. It's just that GRRM goes into chapters with new POVs and characters almost as if he assumes the readers know the backhistory of Westeros as much as he does. So when names I didn't recognize were said I just blocked them out and focused on the characters I did know. And I don't use tapes. They were mp3s on my ipod. About 40+ hours each book except the fourth one that was a lot shorter.

I'm sorry, but what conversation between Tyrion and Joffrey.

I didn't post this, but I believe this is in reference to the conversation Tyrion has with Joffrey about the dagger used in the assassination attempt on Bran... it's where Tyrion figures out that Joffrey was behind the plot to kill Bran whilst he was comatose at Winterfell.

(Correction: not sure it was that dagger they were discussing, or the weapon Tywin had made for Joffrey from Ice, either way in this context it doesn't matter, what matters is what Tyrion discovered/confirmed in the course of the conversation.)

Was the morning of the wedding, when gifts were being exchanged. Joffrey gets his half of Ice and cuts up a rare volume about the history of Kings (gift from Tyrion). Tyrion then asks him if he'd have preferred a valyrian steel blade with a dragonbone hilt, instead? (obv the same dagger the assassin had when he tried killing Bran).

I didn't have a CLUE that R+L=J. Zero. My inclination went with either Jon's mother was a Baratheon or she was someone Robert had been smitten with at one point. I think somehow I was confusing the stories of Robert's love for Ned's sister and Ned's infidelity. Either way, the forum's got me leaning toward the connections now. Though, it may just be that I'm hoping for anything that keeps Jon in the books. :cool4:

I caught Mance being Abel. In fact, I'm proud to say I remembered Mance's story to Jon about almost exactly that and nailed that one about perfectly.

I never believed Davos was killed. Too easy. Too quick. But I confess to being very worried about him for a while there. :drunk:

Bran eating Jojen!? Consider me floored. Must do research.

Consider me a skeptic, but I didn't think Theon was killed. Too pat. Nor Sandor. I didn't catch the gravedigger part, but there was something about the way "cold-blooded-killer" Arya just left him and didn't give him death that I couldn't accept he was dead. I LOVE that he may be the Septon's champion. It would be epic. If it happens though, that's a mighty-fast timeline for the Septon to find him and declare him the champion of the faith. A bit of a stretch. Still....

Another one I missed was the basilisk's blood that was feed to Weese's dog. I might have gotten that on a reread (Arya bits her lip and asks about the dog. It's so obvious I'm suprised I missed that that was what she was thinking about) but I'll never know now.

Also, I had no idea why Edmure was so repulsed by Tom O' Sevens at the end of Feast.

Bran eating Jojen!? Consider me floored. Must do research.

Where has this been discussed?

<p>I also didn't catch that Arstan was Barristan.And who the heck is Sarella?

That's a good point. Hadn't thought about Rickon... Now I'm even more convinced.

My theory is, as hated as it is by most, the Starks will all "go bad" over the course of the series, and certain villains, like Jaime Lannister in particular, will be redeemed as heroes.

Well, half their problems came from being too damn nice, and goody-goody. They needed to stop being played, stop trusting people - and for-God's-sake stick up for themselves, start caring more about their honour and less about playing by the rules. However....I don't see why they should go 'bad'. At this point, the Starks know that it's on, it's total war, their enemies are out in the open already, and if one of their wolves even looks funny at an 'ally' they must know by now to just kill them already. Does that make them bad? No, it's just that their enemies have put themselves beyond the pale so any dirty tricks go from now on.

And Jaime AFaIC stands condemned for the cold-blooded attempted murder of a minor. What's that you say, Jaime? Yes, it's a shame people misunderstand you because of Aerys. Now let me just strap you to this chair. Oh? You say it was Cersei all along who corrupted you and held you back? Yes, I expect you're right. Hold on while I tighten these straps. You always wanted to be a good knight? That's nice. Now I'm going to put this helmet on you. Last words? You could be a good commander of the Kingsguard. Ok. No more talk now. Bite down on this. 3,2,1 *pulls switch* ZZZZZZZAAAPPPPPP!!!!! You can put "redeemed as a hero" in his epitaph if you like.</p>

Here is a link to one discussion about Jojen: http://asoiaf.wester...-adwd-spoilers/

Thanks for the link. I don't buy it though. The weirwood paste was made from a weirwood. The red stuff in it was probably the sap. Besides, if they needed Jojen's blood why would they kill him entirely? It was only a small bowl if I recall. Surely they could've just slit his palm or something.

You can't say you didn't get a meaning when that meaning is not proven as fact yet. Like the Bran eating Jojen thing. That is so absurd that not picking that up in your first read is like saying you didn't pick up that Jon is actually Euron's son. You didn't pick it up, because he isn't, and neither did Martin make it ambiguous in the slightest.

You can't say you didn't get a meaning when that meaning is not proven as fact yet. Like the Bran eating Jojen thing. That is so absurd that not picking that up in your first read is like saying you didn't pick up that Jon is actually Euron's son. You didn't pick it up, because he isn't, and neither did Martin make it ambiguous in the slightest.

I have to agree.

Sometimes we, who frequent this amazing forum filled with great ideas, get confused with the fact and the fiction in the series.

Until it's in the books, I won't believe it's true. So I'm not buying this "Jojen paste" theory either, at least not until the next book proves it.

I have to agree.

Sometimes we, who frequent this amazing forum filled with great ideas, get confused with the fact and the fiction in the series.

Until it's in the books, I won't believe it's true. So I'm not buying this "Jojen paste" theory either, at least not until the next book proves it.

Your right, I don't believe this one until it is further explained in the books.

One that didn't click for me imediately was that Sam was Randyll Tarly's son. I knew in AGOT that Sam's dad was a hardass. Then later (I believe in ACOK) the badass battle commander of the Reach was introduced. It clicked for me later on in the series, though I don't recall how much later.

The reason that I am ashamed that I didn't realize this right off is because it is a plain fact. It is not like some of the other things that are on this board where you have to put together hidden clues. I think Sam even said that his dad was Randyll when he first talked to Jon.

I guess the reason that I didn't put it together is because their relationship has been non-existant in this series. And, since the Night's Watch give up all claims, it is easy to take forgranted a brother's background since they are all so far removed from the rest of the realm.

I missed the Mance-as-Abel and Hound-as-gravedigger ones as well and the whole Pate thing went WHOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHH way over my head.

I missed the Frey pies too until I found this forum. I thought maybe Manderly had poisoned the pies but that he'd been ingesting small-but-increasing amounts of the poison himself for weeks beforehand to build up a tolerance for it. But that wouldn't have worked as it would have been obvious he'd used poison anyway if his enemies started dropping dead after eating the pies.

Archived