Rickon is FIERCE

It took me an inordinate amount of time to figure out that Mance was the bard in Winterfell. I was embarassed when I talked to my wife about it, and she could of looked at me like I'm an idiot.

I missed this too. For some reason, I was thinking Tom o' Sevens.

And I'm still missing the significance of the Frey pie. :dunce:

Edit: never mind, got the Frey pie thing now, but I'll have to reread that chapter.

Most embarrassing miss for me: Not picking up on Manderley's "Frey Pies". I knew something was up there, but I didn't quite understand what, as it was very clear that Wyman was acting way too happy. Once I heard the theory and reread that scene, it's very clear that this is what was happening.

I also didn't catch the Jaqen= Alchemist reveal at first.

That Maggy the Frog who predicts Cersei's future when she was a child is Jeyne Westerling's grandmother.

Most of the others I had a suspicion about. Sometimes I was right. Sometimes I was wrong.

This one is news to me also. But then again, I have missed so much stuff in the books that I should no longer be surprised.

This thread has been fun because it has highlighted some others thinks that I missed going through the site.

Well, I knew Pate had been replaced, but I'm still not sure about it being Jaquen. You could identify something was fishy at the end of that book just from how the book ends with a guy saying his name is Pate. That's enough to make you say "What an odd ending. What does it matter that his name is Pate?" Which then jogs your memory about how Pate died in the prologue. So you're supposed to at least think "Aha! Magical invasion of the citadel!" Which isn't that big of a revelation, since the prologue already revealed this. I guess the ending helped to confirm it was a faceless man. I actually wanted more from this storyline than to just see Pate saying hi at the end.

And by now ALL SINGERS should be suspect. When you see any bard introduced, you should be asking yourself "Alright, who is this really." Plus you knew Mance was being sent on a mission to get Arya.

I got the Maggy the Frog ---> Jeyne Westerling connection, but what I failed to put together till just now is that Jeyne may have been trying to bring Maggy's prophecy true about how "another queen will come along to take it all away from you, Cercei." What's funny is this younger queen was supposed to be "prettier", right? And doesn't everybody comment on how Jeyne was kind of a plain looking choice for a queen? I didn't get the sense that Jeyne was involved in any kind of plot hatched long ago by Maggy. I think she was just swept away by destiny, ignorant of the prophecy yet moving towards its fulfillment. Weird. Maybe her witchy blood responded to some call within, like an echo of Maggy's powers, and that's part of why she ended up in Robb's recovery cot.

And when the 3 eyed crow gave us his name, I had no idea that was Bloodraven's name. (Even though I'd read the Dunc stories.) When someone has a nickname like Bloodraven, who remembers his real first name? Apparently everybody else does, because a bunch of people instantly made that connection. Oh well.

I have to agree.

Sometimes we, who frequent this amazing forum filled with great ideas, get confused with the fact and the fiction in the series.

Until it's in the books, I won't believe it's true. So I'm not buying this "Jojen paste" theory either, at least not until the next book proves it.

Then you are surely not going to like it when I tell you that I think the "pig" that Coldhands killed and fed to Jojen, Meera, Bran and Hodor in the village by the lake, was actually haunch of....black brother.

Reread the chapter and see if you don't agree with me. :devil:

Then you are surely not going to like it when I tell you that I think the "pig" that Coldhands killed and fed to Jojen, Meera, Bran and Hodor in the village by the lake, was actually haunch of....black brother.

Reread the chapter and see if you don't agree with me. :devil:

I agree with you.

Bran and co. didn't see any pigs in that freezing forest, so it's unlikely that Coldhands would be luckier in that aspect. In fact, it's unlikely there would be pigs in that place at all. At least not live ones.

And the timing is predominant. Coldhands had just killed some black brothers, and he comes back with a juicy pig? I don't think so...

But the leap required to ascertain if Jojen was being fed to Bran deserves a lot more information than we currently have.

I agree with you.

Bran and co. didn't see any pigs in that freezing forest, so it's unlikely that Coldhands would be luckier in that aspect. In fact, it's unlikely there would be pigs in that place at all. At least not live ones.

And the timing is predominant. Coldhands had just killed some black brothers, and he comes back with a juicy pig? I don't think so...

But the leap required to ascertain if Jojen was being fed to Bran deserves a lot more information than we currently have.

And I agree with you. The paste might be Jojen, but it might just be red sap - no way to know for sure yet.

I have only read the series once, ive pretty much missed everything! 1 or 2 things I have figured out but mostly its the whole subtlty of the series that I had no concept of until I came on this board (My excuse is reading it all in about 4 months mostly at night before I went to bed so it didnt sink in !). I am now waiting for my GOT to be returned to me so i can start a re-read which I am very excited about - i will be paying a lot more attention this time ! !

I am ashamed to admit that even now I have no real clue about:

What happened at the tower of Joy

I only figured out what BWB and PTWP stood for a couple of weeks ago and I still cant work out where the Baratheons Castle was pre KL !

Still its all part of the fun of the re-read.

I'm taking pity on you in reminding you that the Baratheon seat is Storm's End. Stannis has always been sore about the fact that Renly got Storm's End while he got Dragonstone.

I have missed a number of things but I knew immediately that Abel was Mance, so I'll cut my losses. The Alleras theory was news to me, but I'm excited about it, I'm fond of the Sphinx.

Well, I knew Pate had been replaced, but I'm still not sure about it being Jaquen. You could identify something was fishy at the end of that book just from how the book ends with a guy saying his name is Pate. That's enough to make you say "What an odd ending. What does it matter that his name is Pate?" Which then jogs your memory about how Pate died in the prologue. So you're supposed to at least think "Aha! Magical invasion of the citadel!" Which isn't that big of a revelation, since the prologue already revealed this. I guess the ending helped to confirm it was a faceless man. I actually wanted more from this storyline than to just see Pate saying hi at the end.

After reading this I just thought of something.

IRC

Pate was is killed by poison when he bites on the coin that was given to him as payment. Is that not the same way that Arya killed the money lender in Bravos? Could it be the Pate 2.0 is Arya

We know that the time frame of AFFC and ADWD overlap, could the prologue of AFFC actually happen after the events of ADDW. I know it is a real big leap there, but I thought it was interesting

I missed that the Mad Mouse (the hedge knight that had been travelling with Brienne and Pod in a AFFC who was looking for Sansa) eventually showed up in the Vale in the final Sansa chapter as one of Little Fingers new hedge knight henchmen. I bet he has a big role to play in the next novel

After reading this I just thought of something.

IRC

Pate was is killed by poison when he bites on the coin that was given to him as payment. Is that not the same way that Arya killed the money lender in Bravos? Could it be the Pate 2.0 is Arya

We know that the time frame of AFFC and ADWD overlap, could the prologue of AFFC actually happen after the events of ADDW. I know it is a real big leap there, but I thought it was interesting

I had that thought as well, but I think it seems highly unlikely, since she is a POV character in AFFC and she is still in Braavos. It's a very clean way to kill someone, and the faceless men are mercenaries, after all. But perhaps there is an important parallel there, regardless....

Is it sad I was proud of myself for catching it was Tom O'Sevens that the source for the Dondarrion Boys and why the Lannister/Freys had been so frustrated by them?

I didn't think Arya's assassination technique was all that special, but I loved the chapter nonetheless. We had been well-prepped for poison in many previous instances.

I recall now being surprised to learn about Tyrion/Joffrey and the poison. I forgot about Tyrion's "visit" to Pycelle's room early on. *facepalm*

It took me a few dozen hints before I caught on that Petyr Baelish, Littlefinger, was a bastard and from "The Fingers". Grrr...

Is it sad I was proud of myself for catching it was Tom O'Sevens that the source for the Dondarrion Boys and why the Lannister/Freys had been so frustrated by them?

Not at all...I was proud of myself, too :cool4:

I recall now being surprised to learn about Tyrion/Joffrey and the poison. I forgot about Tyrion's "visit" to Pycelle's room early on. *facepalm*

IIRC, the substance Tyrion "borrowed" he used to give Cersei the runs, at least that's how I read it... I don't remember him using any poison on Joffrey... The Queen of Thorns poisoned Joff (with Littlefinger's assistance)...

Archived