Does anybody else actually like Roose Bolton?

TheFlayedMan

He's absolutely one of my favorite!! One of the best villain ever and I want more of him!!

Bad guys are always more interesting and intriguing honestly.

:agree:

Also, this actor playing him is perfect, so far (season 2) he's been calm, but I've seen him in some movies where he is a real evil basterd.

That was good to know.. I was honestly worried because I don't know the actor and he's been so calm in season 2 and has very few scenes that I'm not sure if he can pull off Roose..

No, that's his son Ramsay. Roose is a playa, Joffreys a spoiled brat

Ramsay is not even like joffrey.. Joffrey likes making someone do the evil deed. Ramsay loves doing the evil deed himself and you can be sure it's not just some lame evil deed..

Ramsay is not even like joffrey.. Joffrey likes making someone do the evil deed. Ramsay loves doing the evil deed himself and you can be sure it's not just some lame evil deed..

True. And Ramsay isn't a little bitch, either - he's willing to throw down

The character is written great, incredibly cunning villain, I would say Roose Bolton is on top along side Tywin Lannister: cunning, cold, intelligent, nothing is sacred for them, both, being lords, have no honour per se, and they have no concerns for the fate of others, except for their family or their own. I respect all GRRM's characters and the way they are written, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like them be dead. Roose and his monster-son are on the top of that list now. To be honest, they deserve that. I don't see anything fascinating in this character (there is nothing interesting (at least for me) in a traitor, who betrayed because of his own ambition or benefit), I don't like him at all.

Roose is by far the more interesting of the Boltons. He is, after all, basically, the northern equivalent of Tywin (and Ramsay stands a better comparison with Joffrey). It's hardly surprising they make a deal: in fact I suspect Roose was planning for Bolton to replace Stark as lords of the north long before Robb made any of the so-called diplomatic blunders - probably as soon as he realised that the Freys' support for their supposed overlords, the Tullys, was far less than wholehearted (right back in A Game of Thrones, where they will not let the Starks pass without Robb's promise of marriage): after all, even before that, there is an existing Lannister/Frey marriage, Tywin's sister being married to Emmon Frey... and, to add to that, Roose Bolton married Fat Walda Frey (for her dowry) only shortly afterwards, halfway through A Clash of Kings.

Am I alone in seeing a Bolton / Frey / Lannister alliance taking shape even then, even before Stannis's defeat at Blackwater and Robb's marriage to Jeyne - even, in fact, while Tywin is throwing everything he has at Riverrun and the Neck, and being driven back in what looks like a crushing defeat while Robb is off storming The Crag and Oxcross?

But he has a weak spot, and that weak spot is, not surprisingly, Ramsay. The Bastard's crimes are now so numerous, and so brazen, that there is no way he will be able to command the support of the northern coalition that Roose was able to make...

Am I alone in seeing a Bolton / Frey / Lannister alliance taking shape even then, even before Stannis's defeat at Blackwater and Robb's marriage to Jeyne - even, in fact, while Tywin is throwing everything he has at Riverrun and the Neck, and being driven back in what looks like a crushing defeat while Robb is off storming The Crag and Oxcross?

Many people agree with you that Roose's intentions were treacherous from the start. I don't, preferring to think he was influenced by events and keeping his options open, but I see where the other side is coming from. But the Freys are much more clear cut - once the marriage pact was arranged, it seems they really were on Robb's side 100%. The heir to the Twins died fighting for Robb, Black Walder helped him kick ass at the Crag, etc. It's hard t see why Old Walder would agree to marry into the Starks if he was always on Tywin's side

• 3 weeks later...

He is high on the list, but just starting out on AFFC and I might find one I like better. I will enjoy his demise if it involves great pain, but not an arrow from afar during a battle, and as a result of his own arrogance. I'm CERTAIN we can trust GRRM to give us satisfaction in this regard :-)

Is there a kind soul out there who has the full " The Bear and The Lady Fair" song?

Christocakes did this a while back. Not sure if anyone has posted it yet but enjoy :P

:) now that we're on the same page, doesn't Areo Hotah remind you of Heimdall(of Thor that is).

Totally off topic, I know but I just had to. ;)

Haha, sorry, I've never seen it. But I expect him to have an extremely deep, baritone voice somewhat similar to James Earl Jones.

He is a great villain. Highly unpredictable and intelligent. I was quite impressed how was he had planned the treason against the Starks. And it certainly helps when he is played by an appropriate actor. I like Michael McElhatton he is believable and certainly has the looks. Also I am really happy with the Ramsey casting choice. Iwan Rheon will be an exquisite Bastard of Bolton with those unsettling, hollow eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tywin was definitely pragmatic but his irrational hatred of Tyrion and pious attitude is what makes him very different from Roose.

I never thought of him as pious, he never really made any references to the Seven or anything like that that I can remember. His hatred of Tyrion's whoring isn't a matter of religion, but that it's an embarrassment to him that his youngest and legal heir can't find anything better to do but spend good Lannister gold to bone women all the time.

I can see some kind of Godfather moment, when Rickon has a kill team at Bolton's, Frey's, Lannisters, who simultaneously take out the favorites here. Simultaneously? He sends ravens from a previously calculated point equidistant from each castle.

I never thought of him as pious, he never really made any references to the Seven or anything like that that I can remember. His hatred of Tyrion's whoring isn't a matter of religion, but that it's an embarrassment to him that his youngest and legal heir can't find anything better to do but spend good Lannister gold to bone women all the time.

What I meant with pious was:

a : marked by hypocrisy

b : marked by self-conscious virtue

Sorry, I agree that it wasn't the best term to describe him but apparently it makes sense...

I think he is self-righteous and sanctimonious with all his talk about legacy and family duty. Although he is aware he isn't virtuous or honorable he is so convinced of Lannister's superiority that he comes off (to me) as somewhat devotional and pious about the abstract notion of family.

His hatred of Tyrion's whoring isn't a matter of religion, but that it's an embarrassment to him that his youngest and legal heir can't find anything better to do but spend good Lannister gold to bone women all the time.

Tyrion doesn't have anything better to do because his father never gave him any responsibility, never trusted him with anything. When Tywin did trust Tyrion and nominated him Hand of the King Tyrion proved his worth but Tywin refused to acknowledge that preferring to throw insults at him out of nowhere. And before that Tyrion didn't spend all his time boning prostitutes: he is an extremely intelligent man in part because he was always reading. For all his faults Tyrion is a scholar, an inventor and a strategist which is much better than anything you can say about Jaime and Cersei. Jaime is a brilliant swordman. Period. Tywin's hatred for Tyrion IMO was irrational and stems from the moment he was born, much earlier from the time he started bedding prostitutes. That's how I view it.

Archived