Am I missing something about Mistborn? I'm really not seeing where all this praise is coming from...

Jaerid

I think Sanderson is doing a wonderful job with the Wheel of Time. I am a huge fan just for that.

His magic system in the Mistborn books is really neat. The writing and characters are so-so.

I would have dismissed him out of hand a long time ago if not for the Wheel of Time books... which, as I said, are wonderful.

I think A Way of Kings is a lot better than Mistborn

The problem I had with Mistborn is the characters. It really felt like they did not have a unique 'voice' of their own. That completely ruined the book for me because I mostly read for characters, and when every character reads pretty much the same way except for a few cliche and dull hobbies/quirks stuck on top of them like the OP mentioned I get bored real quickly. The characters simply dont feel dynamic or real.

Luckily, he gets better with that In A Way with Kings, but Mistborn? The magic system was cool, but nothing else did it for me. The plot seemed pretty basic and cliche as well

Archived