NCAA Basketball 2011-2012

Rhom

Tough, tough break for UNC today - Kendall Marshall broke the wrist of his non-shooting hand. On the halftime report where they were giving the news Kenny Smith (UNC alumnus) was distraught, because the same thing apparently happened to him and he doesn't think Marshall will be able to go at all. Marshall was fantastic today with 11 assists (of the team's 16) and 18 pts. Even if he can play (and he did get back in the game today), this is a big blow to UNC's chances.

Lehigh looks good so far.

... I'm really hating the late start for KU-Purdue. Will this game freaking start already!

I've been itching for another shot at IU all season. I think the outcome is going to be vastly different.

It will definitely be a different result this time. They're a different team without their 4 year starting point guard.

That unibrow is terrifying.

I was real pissed when I saw NCSt/GTown would be a 2nd-round game; I like both teams, and I'd have had them each winning two or three if they hadn't had to play one another. As it is, I picked GTown. Oops.

I picked Belmont; I've been burned too many times by picking Georgetown in the past. Apparently they've only made the Sweet 16 once in the past 16 years.

Tough, tough break for UNC today - Kendall Marshall broke the wrist of his non-shooting hand. On the halftime report where they were giving the news Kenny Smith (UNC alumnus) was distraught, because the same thing apparently happened to him and he doesn't think Marshall will be able to go at all. Marshall was fantastic today with 11 assists (of the team's 16) and 18 pts. Even if he can play (and he did get back in the game today), this is a big blow to UNC's chances.

After all the enjoyment I got from watching Duke lose the other night I'm having the direct opposite feeling hearing the news about Marshall. He is the most important player for the Heels. Without him the chances of the Heels winning a championship are slim.

There's the Tu HollowayXavier team I picked to make the Elite 8. Lehigh had me shitting myself in the first half.

ETA: What the suffering fuck are Kansas doing? I will be pissed if they get knocked out in this round.

Agreed, especially with Henson's weak wrist and Dexter Strickland out for the season. Marshall was definitely a strong play-maker for UNC.

ETA: What the suffering fuck are Kansas doing? I will be pissed if they get knocked out in this round.

Matt Painter is a great fucking coach, that's what happened. He game-planned T-Rob perfectly. Thomas never had fewer than two guys guarding him, and our outside shot was not falling. Hummel was amazing, much respect for him and all he's been through in his career. I hope he gets a chance in the pros (if he wants to pursue it).

Close game. Congratulations.

Oh, that was stressful. Nice win, REG.

30+ years from now I'm sure it will be a KU game that kills me.

Yeah, Purdue played really well, no question. That said, KU shot terribly from long range, and couldn't keep them honest, which was an issue.

Looks like being a stressful finish at Cincy/FSU. Man, I hate that stupid tomahawk chop/chant.

ETA: WOW, what a great steal. FSU coming apart here a little.

ETA2: This'll be the end of my bracket, unfortunately. Have FSU in the final four.

Yeah, Purdue played really well, no question. That said, KU shot terribly from long range, and couldn't keep them honest, which was an issue.

Looks like being a stressful finish at Cincy/FSU. Man, I hate that stupid tomahawk chop/chant.

We had at least four airballed threes.

Cincy is stepping up and FSU is falling apart here in the last two minutes.

Ugh on Kendall Marshall. Roy Williams looked really upset at the press conference. I agree that it's a tough blow.

Looks like he is going in for surgery today - but that he isn't 100% out of hte next round.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17890252/kendall-marshall-fractures-right-wrist-in-north-carolinas-win-sunday

Ohio has been playing well, but having the 13 seed next could be a slight break for UNC if he thinks he really does have a shot at playing again in the tourney. It's part of the game, but hate seeing players and teams hopes derailed from an injury - Kenyon Martin & Cincy come to mind. Without him on the floor after he had broken his leg they were no where near the same quality team

Looks like he is going in for surgery today - but that he isn't 100% out of hte next round.

Its his non-shooting hand... which would be okay if he was primarily a jump shooter; but he's a point guard. You kinda have to be able to dribble and pass effectively with both hands at this level. The altered proprioception alone will likely be enough to render him largely ineffective. Defenders can now cheat to his strong side knowing that he is unlikely to be able to drive to his weak side with any real effect.

I think it basically kills UNC's chances at a real title run.

That was a helluva comeback by Kansas last night. Purdue just didn't have the ability to hang on in the end. Hard fought game by both teams. I've been a big Hummel fan for the last few years after everything he's gone through. Tough break for the kid.

It will definitely be a different result this time. They're a different team without their 4 year starting point guard.

That... and the fact that Atlanta has practically become Lexington-South in recent years. There will be no crazy atmosphere of raucus IU fans. Anthony Davis played only 23 minutes in the loss because of foul trouble. And Kentucky was still learning to play together in December.

Want to know a crazy stat I saw on Davis this weekend? He averages 1.9 fouls per game. That's freaking amazing for someone with 150ish blocks on the year.

ETA: Forgot to add this awesome story from the game on Saturday.

Before the Murray State game, a pair of women in their 70's came down and sat next to my wife and asked if the seats next to her were taken. Kelly told them that they would likely be filled for the UK game, but that they would be empty for a while. The ladies were both decked out in blue and white, to the point that one even had a UK watch. She went on to tell my wife that she lives in Sweden with her husband, but she is originally from Louisville. She said she watches the Cats at 3 AM on the internet through most of the season, but comes back state-side from January to April every year just for March Madness. :lol:

Rhom: that's a fan! The secretary in the Music dept at my previous school of employment used to take vacation during the tourmament so she could watch all the games she could find on TV.

That's for sure! She was a cool old gal. She really knew her basketball too. She was genuinely asking questions about Murray State and their tendencies. Too bad the other guys showed up and they had to go back to the nose-bleeds.

Archived