NCAA Basketball 2011-2012

Rhom

I know I missed the news, but did I completely miss any discussion regarding U of Syracuse and U of Pittsburgh transferring their membership to the ACC?

I have not read or seen anything about that yet, but I am sure that once the Big East gets going there will be more about it. How some of these moves for football will change basketball with WVU going B12, how will A&M and Mizzu fare in the SEC, and Pitt and Orange going ACC. From what I have read, there will be more moves before it is all over.

And right after I'm told that GW has a decent team this year it gets demolished by California. Ah well, I'm just excited to see some basketball again; and hopefully between GW and Buffalo one of them will have a real good year.

The carrier game was a neat experience, but certainly is more of an "exhibition" than anything else. That said, I hope it continues.

Duke looked rough in their first game against Belmont, but looked great in the Sunday game. I have some trepidation about the Champion's Classic on Tuesday now that K is tied with Knight.

Duke v. Michigan State does not have the "sex appeal" that Kentucky v. Kansas has considering that the Spartans are a bit down right now. However, they play in the 7:00 game and the ranked match-up of Cats and Jayhawks is at 9:00. I am afraid that the entire broadcast will be spent talking about how awesome Coach K is and no real appreciation of a match-up of the two winningest programs in college basketball will be paid. (Kansas is still in front of UNC for number 2 aren't they?)

The carrier game was a neat experience, but certainly is more of an "exhibition" than anything else. That said, I hope it continues.

Duke looked rough in their first game against Belmont, but looked great in the Sunday game. I have some trepidation about the Champion's Classic on Tuesday now that K is tied with Knight.

Duke v. Michigan State does not have the "sex appeal" that Kentucky v. Kansas has considering that the Spartans are a bit down right now. However, they play in the 7:00 game and the ranked match-up of Cats and Jayhawks is at 9:00. I am afraid that the entire broadcast will be spent talking about how awesome Coach K is and no real appreciation of a match-up of the two winningest programs in college basketball will be paid. (Kansas is still in front of UNC for number 2 aren't they?)

Yeah, I still think it will be a good game, but not the brawl that it should be.

UK - 2052 - 647 .760

KU - 2038 -799 .718

UNC - 2033 -729 .736

Duke - 1944- 827 .702

'Cuse - 1810 -819 .688

While UK should have an excellent year, it's kinda interesting to see how a couple losing streaks here and there could change the top 3 in a relatively short amount of time.

While UK should have an excellent year, it's kinda interesting to see how a couple losing streaks here and there could change the top 3 in a relatively short amount of time.

I had to do a little digging to find this again, but since you mentioned it... Check out this page.

It pretty much shows you just how fluid it has been. UNC took the lead for a while in the late 80's and early 90's when Kentucky went on probation. Kentucky took the lead again under late Pitino/early Smith regimes and then expanded it when Doherty took over at UNC. It got really close again when Gillispie (UK) and Williams (UNC) were coaching and has widened a bit with Calipari at the helm with a few down Williams years of late. Meanwhile, Kansas has been a steady performer and has gradually closed ground on both.

I have not read or seen anything about that yet, but I am sure that once the Big East gets going there will be more about it. How some of these moves for football will change basketball with WVU going B12, how will A&M and Mizzu fare in the SEC, and Pitt and Orange going ACC. From what I have read, there will be more moves before it is all over.

I wonder if this is all a sign of things to come in regards to the Big East and the NCAA, in general. It seems as if bigger conferences divided into sub-divisions will be the future course of events.

I had to do a little digging to find this again, but since you mentioned it... Check out this page.

It pretty much shows you just how fluid it has been. UNC took the lead for a while in the late 80's and early 90's when Kentucky went on probation. Kentucky took the lead again under late Pitino/early Smith regimes and then expanded it when Doherty took over at UNC. It got really close again when Gillispie (UK) and Williams (UNC) were coaching and has widened a bit with Calipari at the helm with a few down Williams years of late. Meanwhile, Kansas has been a steady performer and has gradually closed ground on both.

These also happen to be my three favorite basketball programs, though I clearly have a preference for one those teams to lead. The number of UNC-Kansas connections throughout their years are fairly crazy.

I wonder if this is all a sign of things to come in regards to the Big East and the NCAA, in general. It seems as if bigger conferences divided into sub-divisions will be the future course of events.

These also happen to be my three favorite basketball programs, though I clearly have a preference for one those teams to lead. The number of UNC-Kansas connections throughout their years are fairly crazy.

While not as many as the UNC/Kansas connections; Adolph Rupp got his start as a player and assistant coach at Kansas as well.

While not as many as the UNC/Kansas connections; Adolph Rupp got his start as a player and assistant coach at Kansas as well.
UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky have such rich basketball traditions. What is there not to love about these programs? (Apart from the occasional bit of drama.)

21 hours to go, Rhom! :box:

As long as Thomas Robinson doesn't get into early foul trouble, it should be a great game. If he does... it will be interesting to say the least. Great story on him here, and a surprising amount of new information with as much as came out about the situation as it was happening earlier this year.

Yeah, we're awesome.

I know it's bad but, I really hope that MSU beats Duke tomorrow. I just know that if Duke wins it will be a 2 hour knob-slob of coach K during the KU-UK game, and I do not want to listen to that (especially if Vitale is calling the game, but we may luck out since he no longer does back-to-back games and I'm sure he'd want to call the Duke game).

Random anecdote: One of my friends is a construction type/builder lead; he got to work on that carrier. They got to get a decent view of the game for a while, but they had to rip that thing down very shortly after the game ended.

You know what was weird? WTF would they have done with bad weather? Yeah, SoCal has notoriously agreeable weather, but San Diego and LA were both quite overcast for much of that day, and it does actually rain from time to time.

Man, I was sort pumped for Oregon when they got out to a good start @ #7 Vanderbilt. But then Vandy pulls away, but then proceeds to lose at home to Cleveland St. Ouch.

I read that they were building an extra court in the flight deck, but stopped after the weather reports told them that it would be ok.

I read that they were building an extra court in the flight deck, but stopped after the weather reports told them that it would be ok.

Yeah, they had cleared the space under the deck so that a 2nd court could be built if weather, etc would have interfered.

That's pretty freakin cool. Interesting that only two of the original are still in the top 10 - Kansas and Temple.

Since there's no real college hoops teams west of the Mississippi......what does the suspension of Nelson mean for UCLA? Do the Wear's have enough to fill in that spot?

I've been a Die-hard UNC fan all of my life :)

That being said... I thought UCLA was extremely over-ranked going in to the season and don't consider their loss an upset - just inevitability; with a majority of the "new-buzz" surrounding the program being unwarranted. They've picked up 3 of UNC's second hand players, both Wear twins and Larry Drew (who wont be eligible until next year) and all 3 players either fell drastically short of expectations, or earned the title of "not caring", or were benched (or all 3).

Since there's no real college hoops teams west of the Mississippi......what does the suspension of Nelson mean for UCLA? Do the Wear's have enough to fill in that spot?
Kansas? Or do you mean more in terms of the Pacific Coast?

This is the first time that I recall seeing your name and I already like you.

21 hours to go, Rhom! :box:

As long as Thomas Robinson doesn't get into early foul trouble, it should be a great game. If he does... it will be interesting to say the least. Great story on him here, and a surprising amount of new information with as much as came out about the situation as it was happening earlier this year.

Yeah, we're awesome.

:fencing:

Bring it Jayhawk boy! I'm tired of beating up on SJohn and Commodore with the occaisional aeu for a snack, I'm ready to take on the REG!

As you say, I think depth will tell the tale. If Kansas can stay out of foul trouble, they have more experience to go with their athleticism and allow them to stay in the game with the more talented freshmen at UK. I think Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones will be the difference in the game. Another thing to watch for will be the defensive intensity from Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, he can disrupt things across the backcourt.

Either way, I'm looking for a good game. I'm glad that they put this Champions Classic together and I will look forward to the Michigan State game next year and the Duke game the year after. (I think that's the order anyways.)

I know it's bad but, I really hope that MSU beats Duke tomorrow. I just know that if Duke wins it will be a 2 hour knob-slob of coach K during the KU-UK game, and I do not want to listen to that (especially if Vitale is calling the game, but we may luck out since he no longer does back-to-back games and I'm sure he'd want to call the Duke game).

In honor of Coach K likely breaking the all-time wins record, I feel that it is time once again to bring out

. :D

That's a shame, but welcome to the college basketball thread nonetheless! I look forward to having a more active and spirited discussion this year with no pro basketball going on.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! the part about Duke losing I mean, well and about Vitale...you can have him. please.

Kansas? Or do you mean more in terms of the Pacific Coast?

I think he was commenting more on ESPN's (and the media as a whole) lack of coverage of the vast majority of teams west of the mississippi.

More..."what is going to tweak Trisk into leaving the NFL thread"...though REG is right too, UCLA go through a timemachine, bring back Lew, Red & all their other all time greats and we'd hear 'UCLA may be able to make noise in the Tourney"..

In honor of Coach K likely breaking the all-time wins record, I feel that it is time once again to bring out

. :D

just mean.

Archived