How big is too big? ...well it was THIS BIG. update pg 13!

quirksome

Without getting into how silly diamonds are in the first place (and being a hypocrite); I'd have to say it depends on the cut, but two carats is usually pushing it and 2.5+ is clownshoes,

Also, a free public service announcment: If your partner spends (or wants YOU to spend) three months pay on a stupid ring, run for the hills. At best their priorities are messed up and at worst they are a shallow, insecure, financially irresponsible, keep-up-with-the-Jonseser. Run.

Practically I'd rather have real estate but (sigh) my parents expect a flashy ring because he earns significantly more than me. Argh.

Ah...Asian parents? I knew early on that my parents would pull off something like this. So when I was 14, I told them never to expect that kind of shit from me (engagement parties, big white wedding, grandkids) and reminded them repeatedly over the years. So now, I don't worry about disappointing them anymore. I'm almost 30 and spend most my nights in front of the computer watching sitcom reruns and eating a bag of crisps. No pressure at all. Lovely.

Without getting into how silly diamonds are in the first place (and being a hypocrite); I'd have to say it depends on the cut, but two carats is usually pushing it and 2.5+ is clownshoes,

The pictures were between 3 and 33 carats.

It is pretty much obvious that if you could afford a diamond the size of Cullinan I, it would be impractical to wear on a finger ring. Put it in her crown, sceptre, necklace or other such places.

As you can see, a 33 carat diamond WAS worn on a finger. But big stones in finger rings would hamper the use of the hand, plus the risk that the ring breaks, or actually breaks the finger it is on.

Of course, these 10...30 carat diamond rings do go into a few million US$ - especially if it is fancy colour diamonds.

But a simple disadvantage of wearing large amount of value in jewelry is that it can easily get lost, stolen or robbed. Picking fancy colour diamonds would not help with that.

The compact and portable nature of jewelry is an advantage of it. You cannot run with a house on your finger or stuffed into a bra. You can do that with jewelry. Although jewelry can be confiscated/robbed, and found on body search whether by police or robbers. Finger ring is inconvenient exactly because it is visible to any thieves - a disadvantage shared by earrings. Although jewelry generally is meant for show - making it a target for both robbers and police.

Also, a free public service announcment: If your partner spends (or wants YOU to spend) three months pay on a stupid ring, run for the hills. At best their priorities are messed up and at worst they are a shallow, insecure, financially irresponsible, keep-up-with-the-Jonseser. Run.

A ring can be sold. Costs of a designer cake, and much else of a wedding party, are pure financial loss.

Of course, unlike a real estate, a ring has limited use value.

What is your preferred composition of your... brideprice?

How many months´ wages do you expect to demand as alimony after a childless and short marriage? How many months´ wages do you expect to demand as child support for one child until he or she grows up?

An idea for valuable engagement rings seems to be that they are treated as bridewealth/upfront payment of future alimony and child support.

How big is too big? As others said, depends on personal preference, coloring...hand size. My wifes ring is a 1.44c center stone - on her hand it looks slightly large, but putting it next to my sisters hand it looks huge. Yellow gold isn't as nice against her skin tone, white gold & platnium look very nice.

If you two want a ring, make sure you discuss it - while one of you may be wearing it, it impacts both of you. let him know what style, etc you like so that you don't get something that is abhorrent to what you enjoy. When I saw the stone I wanted in my wifes ring it was perfect - because it has an occlusion in the middle that, when you look straight down at it, looks like a heart. Perfect. Maybe not a perfect stone, but perfect for us.

I am somewhat of an expert in this as I have been engaged three times in my life. (Yet never married... see my yesterday post in can two people love each other.) I have spent approximately 20k for diamonds.

The first one I bought, I went just for size and spent 10k on the biggest rock that 10k could afford at the time... I think it was 2 1/2 karats.. The quality of the stone wasn't that good for the price, and I don't think that fiance #1 liked it.

The second time, I bought a 1 karat stone, but spent 5 grand. That rock was beautiful. It was one of the shiny ones. I learned then that a pretty diamond gets a lot more attention than a big ugly one.

The last ring, fiance #3 designed... I spent another 5k, and she got a three stone princess cut, and she actually lowered the setting so that it would not catch on things. I have to say that the diamond wasn't predominate that way though.

Oh... out of all three engagements and rings... I never got one back. If I ever get engaged again, I am going to go with hemp promise bracelets.

how big can an engagement ring be before it looks tacky?

I think this really comes down to personal taste and style. I wear almost no jewlery, and refuse to wear more than 1/2k. and that was less than a month's pay.

Other people who are accostumed to jewlery and designer clothes can pull off a couple karats and still not look tacky.

We had custom rings made from a guy in CA, which adds a lot of personal style to the rings, and they are matching (I tried looking the guy up on line but couldn't find him. He hand tools all his rings)

Sorry, I just don't understand spending that much money on a ring. Do people actually look at your bling and make a judgment? Those are not people I want to be associated with. We got married right after graduating from college, so there wasn't any money to be had, and therefore I don't have an engagement ring. We got matching handmade white gold bands created by a jeweler in Chapel Hill, NC. I am as thrilled with the simple band today as I was when we picked them out. If someone comments on the ring, I can tell them that we had them made for us.

Sorry, I just don't understand spending that much money on a ring. Do people actually look at your bling and make a judgment?

They might, I don't know - I didn't have the ring made so that others could gawk or comment, I had it made because it was what K and I wanted. If people like it, great, I'll take it as a compliment since I designed it. If they don't, that's ok too.

Why men don't straight freak the fuck out at the prices of these things is really well beyond me.

They do, generally. They just don't tell you.

Great phrasing :lol:

They might, I don't know - I didn't have the ring made so that others could gawk or comment, I had it made because it was what K and I wanted. If people like it, great, I'll take it as a compliment since I designed it. If they don't, that's ok too.

And I realized after I posted that I should have added that if you want a big ring and you can afford a big ring then, go for it. I am sure that my parents think that we are the most frivolous people in the universe for putting a hot tub in the back yard last year. Thing is, we've wanted it for years and we could afford it, so we did it.

BFC I agree, there are so many better things to spend money on than jewellery. I've enjoyed the holidays we've taken and the memories we've created on the trips far more than a Tiffany bauble.

Jaak - loving the pragmatic assessment! You're so right - it's a bloody brideprice. It sets the "value" of your relationship - how much money is he willing to waste on fulfilling your desire? Stupid, primitive custom.

I always liked the idea of getting a ring with a different precious stone in it, like an emerald, or a ruby, or a sapphire or something. So long as the cut doesn't make it look like costume jewelry they're almost always significantly prettier then diamonds (IMO) and much, much less outrageously expensive. Also you could match it up with her birthstone if she's into that.

ETA: Took me 5 seconds to find this emerald ring. Sure its lab-created but its still awfully nice, and only $165, imagine what you could get for $500 or so, which is still significantly less then a diamond ring would cost you.

The stigma against lab-created is another thing that can fuck off. No thanks, I'd like my jewellery dug up by indentured workers in some third-world hellhole please!

Sparkly is sparkly.

I have small hands and couldn't wear a ring larger than 1 carat without it looking ridiculous. As it is, I have a .5 carat diamond solitaire that fits my hand just fine and cost $1,000 (no way were we wasting months of salary on a piece of jewelry). However, I stopped wearing it every day because the stone is raised and constantly bangs into things, and it isn't practical for dancing when I bend my fingers back (it twists and pokes). I only wear it for special occasions now.

I always wanted a pearl engagement ring too, but went for the diamond since pearls don't hold up to every day wear. I should have just asked for the pearl ring instead.

Archived