Could Lightbringer be the Night's Watch?

• 2 weeks later...

Very well could be. The Age of Heroes and especially the history of the Wall seem to be quite murky, so anything really could be the case. I think the important thing is to not take the story — either its origins or its prophecy — literally.

My main concern with this theory was that Maester Aemon when he asked Sam to describe the sword knew what to look for, ie. the blade actually generating heat and the leather of the sheath being scorched. My feeling is that Maester Aemon would probably have the best understanding of the prophecy of the charcters in ASoIaF, so if the NW were the answer to the Azor Ahai prophecy Maester Aemon would probably know seeing as he has an extremely in depth knowledge of the prophecy and the history of the NW. It could still be right of course, but im sceptical on that basis

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I just noticed something about the names. I feel really dumb posting it because it seems so obvious but whatever somebody won't have thought of it either.

Lightbringer and Nights Watch are literal opposites from one another.

Light vs. Nights

Bringer (active) vs. Watch (passive)

It's the quotes from their vows that convinces me, specifically "I am the sword (in the darkness)" and "I am the light that brings (the dawn)".

There's also a thought in my mind that the Horn of Winter is also the Night's Watch, again from their vows: "the horn that wakes the sleepers".

• 1 month later...

i don‘t agree with the theory of the Wall being lightbringer simply because it will make Bran the Builder be the fitst AA.I think AA came before Bran and the Wall also did not exist at that time.To me i think AA was indeed a warrior who led the fight against the Others and drove them back hence became sort of like a hero hence the legend grew around him..........sort of like the legend of King Arthur but the truth that can be derived from it is that AA had a weapon that could kill the Others and im pretty sure it was not a dragon since the first dragons to be seen in Westeros belonged to the Targs.If the Wall is indeed lightbringer then why would Joramun forge a horn that could bring down the Wall? The Wall is only considered important since it is the most afvantageious position if the others decided to wage war as all you needed to do is rain flaming arrows at them.

• 1 month later...

Can someone please point me out to any posts or discussions regarding any theories stemming from the line in the oath:

'I am the watcher on the walls' implying there is more than one wall e.g. hadrians wall and the antonine wall to the north of it.

I am sure this has been discussed but cant find it as I am a frequent reader but rarely search or post!

Thanks

• 8 months later...

I don't know if this have been mentioned before (sorry is it was). When I did a reread of TDWD I noticed a paragraph in one of Jon's chapter (maybe Jon I.).

Stannis and Jon are having a conversation. They argue and Stannis suddenly has the need to show Jon his sword. Stannis lays the sword in a map exactly on top of the wall. In my eyes it is a perfect metaphorical picture. The sword (which is named Lightbringer, but isn't) is in the same place where the wall is. The same name, size, location, and purpose!! They are connected in this moment.

First when I read this part of the conversation I thought it is silly and awkward. And it is a totally "my sword is this big, see?" sort of moment. And I thought Stannis is not that kind of man who would have to show off in front of anyone - especially in front of Jon, who is a young, inexperienced bastard boy (in Stannis eyes anyway) in the end of the world. And I didn't understand why GRRM wrote it that way.

Now I do.

I sorry, I can't quote from the book, well, not in English, so feel free to add a comment. 

Edit: spelling. Sorry, i am not native

Archived