Could Lightbringer be the Night's Watch?

Another fact in my mind at least

LIGHTBRING- think about what that name means, Bringing Light/ Lightbringer

DAWN- think about what that name means, First Light/ the sun Bringing first light

Wow its right here,

Dawn and Lightbringer are both thoundsands of years old. The only sword we know that can match Lightbringer is Dawn.

Both are not Valyrian Steel.

Facts to me!! But because i guess and don't do research i must be wrong??

Where are your facts, lol. Because all i ever hear is i think this i think that.

Who's really guessing??

The Nights Watch was founded after the WALL was put up by Bran the Builder.

At least that's what Wiki says. Founded to maintain watch opn the WALL, so there is one fact saying it cant be LIGHTBRINGER.

It also says that the LongNight came before the NW was founded.

Actually, no, the Wiki doesn't say that.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night%27s_Watch#History

The Night Watch is probably the oldest order in Seven Kingdoms, as it survived the fall of the kingdoms of the First Men following the Andal Invasion and the War of Conquest. It was founded over 8,000 years ago, after the period known as the Long Night, when under cover of the endless night that lasted for a generation, the Others invaded from the Lands of Always Winter, laying waste to much of Westeros, until the Others were finally defeated by the Night's Watch at the Battle for the Dawn.

Read Wiki Battle for the Dawn. It shows that what i said is true. But i do see where it says what your saying.

Wiki is kinda saying two different things.

Yes, I know. The Wiki can be an excellent tool but you have to keep in mind it's not canon. It's written by readers. I think there's a good chance these two entries (Battle for the Dawn and Night's Watch) may have been written by two different people.

See that's what i don't like about some people. You think just because you looked over the books a few times you think that only you can figure out what is going to happen.

Research you say, with all your research you have not one fact.

Oh, like your "fact" that Dawn is Lightbringer? Please. :rolleyes:

You say that it's a fact that "Dawn" means bringing the first light. That doesn't mean it's this Lightbringer. I'm also pretty sure that I put up the fact that the Night's Watch, within its own vows, refers to itself as a sword and the light that brings the dawn. That's no less of a fact than you looking up the word Dawn in the dictionary and using it as evidence.

Darn, just wrote about my apreciation of this theory in the ADWD forum :rolleyes:. Anyway, I really like this theory, there are several points within the story to support it, it's not out of thin air like many other things. It would be awesome if it turned out to be true :drunk:

Hadnt noticed this until now, a very interesting and impressive theory. It definently sounds plausible to me, would actually prefer this version than having lightbringer as some kind of über sword..

I've been thinking about this, and I've remembered maester Aemon questioning Stannis' sword being Lightbringer because there is no heat. This made me think about his knowledge of this prophecy coming from, among other things, the Citadel. And I think this might just be one of the most important things we will learn from Samwell's POVs in the next books.

I agree...the radiating heat aspect is kind of troublling...

Interesting idea, though I'm not wholly convinced. It seems to rely on cherry picking phrases from the Night's Watch oath while ignoring other parts.

True, but there's a very good chance the vows changed over the years. For instance, when Sam opens the weirwood gate at the Nightfort, he only says part of the vows (the same part that is relevant here). The 'take no wifes, father no sons, hold no lands (paraphrasing), etc. is the part that may have been added (much) later...

As much as I like the NW - theory, I don´t see how Asshai fits in with this.

The idea is that the legend of the Long Night that Bran hears from Old Nan and the singer made its way to Asshai and got a cultural twist. Think of it like a game of telephone. The person at the beginning whispers something to the guy next to him, on and on and on down the line. When the person at the end of the line says out loud what he's heard, it only vaguely resembles the original line. Now imagine a game of telephone that lasts 8,000 years, travels thousands of miles and goes through millions of different people. The guy leading the Night's Watch, which describes itself as a sword that brings warmth and the "light that brings the dawn," has turned into a hero wielding a flaming sword called Lightbringer.

Interesting idea, though I'm not wholly convinced. It seems to rely on cherry picking phrases from the Night's Watch oath while ignoring other parts.

Some of us have taken other bits from the Azor Ahai story and pieced them together with other aspects of the Watch and the vows.

Water: The ice with which the Wall is built

Lion: Symbolic of pride and glory, the promise not to hold lands, titles or glory

Nissa Nissa: The promise to take no wives

And if you look at the vows that Sam says to get through the Black Gate, the parts about not taking a wife and not holding titles and lands aren't in them. Some of us believe that those are the original vows and that the wife/titles/land bits were added later. If you look at that "original" vow, it really is watered down to the sword, "the light that bring the dawn," and that aspect. The addition of the wife/land/titles bits might have come later, as the order adapted itself. You could almost say it was ... tempered.

Archived