Of those who are left

richardya

We are running out of characters, especially Starks.

Arya and Jon seem like they will be main characters and as much as I liked Bran, without legs he he can't be a really good protagonist. I hope GRRM doesn't move Stansa to a main character. I do love Arya. I had a feeling Robb wouldn't last.

Jamie is probably my favorite of the bunch. I know there is something good planned for Nymeria's return.

I have noticed that GRRM likes making odd buddy stories. Some of the most fun in the books were:

Tyrion & Bronn

Jamie & Brienne

Arya & The Hound

Always on the road and always unnatural camaraderie.

A few things I don't like:

Fording Rivers

Milk of the Poppy

Danerys

1) How do you do the spoiler graphic in a post? I don't see the tool with the text editor? <spoiler> </Spoiler>

2) I was reading the Wiki and I have a question about books 4 & 5, does GRRM jump ahead (skip years) in those books and are those books concurrent stories of the characters broken into two books?

Actually there's still Bran, Rickon, Sansa, and Arya left. And Jon Snow if you wish to count him. That's 5 (or 4 if you're a Jon Snow hater).

As for your second question, no he doesn't skip any years. He splits the story by regions and characters rather than my time.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with “To Be Continued.” The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that’s the route I chose to take.

That's his explanation.

I liked that Jaime went back for Brienne (well, I somewhat liked it), but I definitely would have preferred him being a little too late.

Also, we're not really running out Starks.

Spoilers ahead!

Ned had "dead" written all over him from the start. It would have been more cliche-breaking if he wasn't killed off, and instigating a lot of the events of the series.

Robb's death was welcome, and the uncerimonious way it happened and the degrading "sew wolf's head to Robb's body" were nice touches, and this was a little unexpected. But he's one of five Stark children.

Bran isn't dead, even thought people think he is.

Rickon isn't dead, even though he may as well be, with no POV from him or the wilding gril.

Arya isn't dead, that cliffhanger where Sandor hit her with the axe was a brief taste of a dead Stark, but I was not really surprised she stayed alive, three Starks at once is too good to be true.

Sansa isn't dead.

Jon isn't dead, but then again, isn't a true Stark either.

Catelyn isn't dead, and that was the most surprised I have been reading the books, what a nasty surprise!

So we aren't really "running out of Starks."

--

If anything, we're running out of Lannisters.

Tywin is dead, and that is the true tragedy of Storm of Swords.

His three kids are infighting, Jaime and Cersei are not fucking, and Tyrion is mad at them both, and an outlaw now. Also Joffrey is really a Lannister, and he's dead.

--

We also may be running out Cleganes.

Who knows how Gregor's wound will affect him? Will it kill him? I hope not, but at least he took out the Red Viper in an awesome way.

Sandor is last seen dying, but not dead.

--

Of whose left, my favorite is Jaime, probably, especially now that he is not in jail!

Catelyn Tully/Stark is dead. Lady Stoneheart is definitely not Catelyn, in the sense that death has changed her completely. GRRM has stated many times that even though she was brought back from the dead, everything, from her appearance to her character itself, has been changed irreversibly by death to the point that she might as well be a new character. There may still be some part of the loving mother Catelyn was buried very deep inside Lady Stoneheart but at this point, I doubt she'd even recognize her daughters.

The Starks will do just fine. If you've disliked Sansa so far, I'm sure you'll end up liking her in Feast, she really grows into a new, stronger character.

If you think Bran is half a man, you are either extremely prejudiced or are missing the point of the series completely. Wait til you get to Dance.

If you think Bran is half a man, you are either extremely prejudiced or are missing the point of the series completely. Wait til you get to Dance.

Yes it seems obvious that something powerful is going to happen to Bran once he meets his three eyed crow...Remember Jojen's green dream? I have a feeling Bran will be Lord of Winterfell at some point! I have had this theory about Gendry & Arya getting together as well, though now Gendry has joined Dondarrion's bunch that might be on hold for a while...

When I was reading the books (I've only read through aSoS), I assumed that everyone was making a big deal about big characters dying, so I was really worried that some of my favorites (Tyrion and Arya particularly) would get killed off at any time. But by the end of A Storm of Swords, I started to realize that, yes, many big, important characters are dying, but you just accept that they are not the main characters. It certainly feels huge when the various kings die in the 2nd and 3rd books, and Catelyn was a hard loss, yet in retrospect, those characters are not the ones that I see being vital main characters. The reason Catelyn's loss is hard is because she was a sympathetic character in that you knew how much pain she was in but hoped she would see her other four kids again.

In my opinion GRRM has invested a lot of time into creating backstories for Tyrion, Arya, Jon, and Dany, and those are probably his main characters. But even if he manages to kill one of them off, I'm sure in retrospect it would be tied into a greater story arc for another character.

When I was reading the books (I've only read through aSoS), I assumed that everyone was making a big deal about big characters dying, so I was really worried that some of my favorites (Tyrion and Arya particularly) would get killed off at any time. But by the end of A Storm of Swords, I started to realize that, yes, many big, important characters are dying, but you just accept that they are not the main characters. It certainly feels huge when the various kings die in the 2nd and 3rd books, and Catelyn was a hard loss, yet in retrospect, those characters are not the ones that I see being vital main characters. The reason Catelyn's loss is hard is because she was a sympathetic character in that you knew how much pain she was in but hoped she would see her other four kids again.

In my opinion GRRM has invested a lot of time into creating backstories for Tyrion, Arya, Jon, and Dany, and those are probably his main characters. But even if he manages to kill one of them off, I'm sure in retrospect it would be tied into a greater story arc for another character.

Also, he doesn't always kill them off completely, does he? I mean, it's so unpredictable. I was sure Arya was killed by the Hound in the Red Wedding chapter, it was great when she was OK!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all the books up to SoS, and just began reading Feast for Crows, and I love all the Starks that are left.

I myself consider Jon a Stark, he is Ned´s son after all (or Lyanna - which is NEd´s sister) but anyways he has stark blood in him;

*That Lyanna bit is just a thought of mine, because it would be badass for him to be half stark and half targaryen (by way of Rhaegar)*

Archived