Why did Tyrion lie? [spoilers]

milquetoast

I'm pretty sure Tyrion himself doesn't know what happened at Jof's wedding.

Tyrion was extremely angry at Jaime at that precise moment and he attacked him on what would hurt him the most, his children. He knew claiming responsibility for Jof's death would hurt Jaime just as much as Jaime's revelation hurt him.

Tyrion doesn't know but obviously he knows that HE didn't kill Joff! It just didn't make sense. Jaime just freed him AND apologized for things he did in the past, so Tyrion made something up that would hurt him? I don't know, it makes sense if he just said the things about Cersei maybe.

Tyrion doesn't know but obviously he knows that HE didn't kill Joff! It just didn't make sense. Jaime just freed him AND apologized for things he did in the past, so Tyrion made something up that would hurt him? I don't know, it makes sense if he just said the things about Cersei maybe.

It makes sense since Tyrion wants to destroy both his siblings now. He added Jaime to his checklist. That is his new motive. No matter how fond he was of Jaime in the past, when he knew of the truth of Tysha he seemed bent on avenging and finding her. Tywin's gone, Jaime's next and Cersei, as well.

Tyrion has been obsessed with the whole Tysha affair for more than 20 years. He has believed all this time that she was just a whore. His whole life has been shaped by that event. His entire persona was shaped by that event. Imagine what a different man he would be if Tywin had let him marry the girl and let them live happily together. Now he's just been imprisoned and sentenced to die in the most unfair way possible, after saving everyone in King's Landing with the Battle of Blackwater. He's just been ridiculed in front of the entire court at Jof's wedding and again at the trial, by Shae , the one person he thought he could trust, even though he knew he shouldn't... and now his brother tells him that the woman he fell in love with, married and had to watch getting gang-raped and then was forced to rape her himself, was actually not a whore, but a woman who truely loved him back too ?

It's a lot to take in, to say the least, even for a cold-headed man like Tyrion. I completely understand his reaction at the time. He knew claiming responsibility for Jof's death would hurt his brother profoundly as he knew telling him Cersei fucked the Kettleblacks would as well.

Like Aeryon said, Tyrion has been betrayed and abused by his entire family all his life, he's now out for revenge.

Agree with The Lost Direwolf, it was clear to me that he did it just to hurt Jaime even more. Tyrion knows that Jaime truly loves him, unlike Cersei whom has always disliked him, even since they were kids. Jaime always took care of him and they share that brotherly-bond. So I think that Tyrion said it so that Jaime would suffer in thinking that his beloved little brother killed his son. BUT what Tyrion doesn't know is that Jaime isn't all that affected by Joffrey's death to begin with, as evidenced by that moment when he thinks to himself that if the gods offered him his son or his hand back, he'd pick his hand. Even more proof of this, is the fact that the words that keep tormenting Jaime are "she's been fucking Lancel and the Kettlebacks and Moon Boy for all I know", instead of "I killed your son".

Agree with The Lost Direwolf, it was clear to me that he did it just to hurt Jaime even more. Tyrion knows that Jaime truly loves him, unlike Cersei whom has always disliked him, even since they were kids. Jaime always took care of him and they share that brotherly-bond. So I think that Tyrion said it so that Jaime would suffer in thinking that his beloved little brother killed his son. BUT what Tyrion doesn't know is that Jaime isn't all that affected by Joffrey's death to begin with, as evidenced by that moment when he thinks to himself that if the gods offered him his son or his hand back, he'd pick his hand. Even more proof of this, is the fact that the words that keep tormenting Jaime are "she's been fucking Lancel and the Kettlebacks and Moon Boy for all I know", instead of "I killed your son".

This is a good point, I was actually going to say, "Wait a minute, Jaime didn't really care about Joffrey or his other kids, so how would this hurt him."

But OF COURSE Tyrion doesn't know that, so he thinks he is hurting Jaime.

Good, good point.

I think it's important to remember that Tyrion is of the same blood as his cold-hearted father, his brash brother, his delirious sister, and even his deceased, insane nephew. Even if he is for the most part much more cunning than any of them, he, too, can completely lose his cool when he finds out he's been lied to. Jaime's revelation was just the last straw over all that had happened to Tyrion since his night with Tysha. Perhaps Tyrion will think better of it later, but to me, Tyrion showed his true colors of a Lannister in that moment.

I'm not sure I get the whole hairnet thing. Why introduce that risk when the old lady could have just brought the poison herself?

We only really have Littlefinger's words to go on about the hairnet containing poison. He could be lying thru his teeth! Oh sure, he may have plotted with Tyrell's, but there's no proof "grandma"Thorn poisoned the kid

The hairnet could have easily just been exactly as it seemed - a lovely little innocent hair accessory. And the poison was brought in by someone else... All the rest is simple misdirection for the Cersei The Super-paranoid: a scapegoat with a missing rhinestone in her hair who just happens to be The Traitors daughter married to The Worst Little bro EVAH!

Tyrion was upset. No one believes him that he didn't kill Joff since Tyrion had a great motive (along with pretty much everybody else) and had consistently humiliated Joff in public and private. No one cares that it was Tyrion that saved everybody at Blackwater. A person can only take so much before they snap. He just happened to snap at Jaime.

I think Tyrion is sick of the lot of them for all they have done and how twisted they are.

No one would believe him anyway IMO.

Joffrey was a horrid human being and I am surprised Tyrion didn't just take a dagger to him, but he wouldn't hurt his blood as much as he wanted to (at least so far).

• 1 month later...

Tyrion knew he would be the biggest fugitive in all of Westeros. A Kinslayer AND a Kingslayer. He knew that this would be the last time he saw Jaime and was so full of hatred after Jaime's revelation that he just wanted revenge. He had done nothing wrong. In fact, he was the hero of King's Landing but never got any credit. He was still viewed as a monster. Add in his hatred for Joff and the fact that he was one of the few who saw that Joff was worse than the Mad King, Tyrion was just bitter. He acted in the only way that would allow him to feel even.

I think he was also offended that Jaime had to ask, I think Tyrion assumed (perhaps at first) that Jaime was freeing him because he thought he was innocent- and then by questioning him after revealing such a horrid lie- well of course it would set him off

Tyrion has never been able to watch his mouth (even at his own trial he couldn't keep quiet.)

Archived