Will we see Rickon again?

Zenefertiti

I think Rickon will play an important part when the story will move on, especially with regards on the claim on WInterfell.

At this point lots of people wants to control the place through the Stark children (especially Sansa and the fake Arya) because everybody think the boys are dead, but if someone find RIckon, he would be the legitimate heir.

I think he will resurface at the point, being rather undisciplined as his direwolf.

Oh and I don't recall him making it to The Wall (that's Bran and the idea was to have them apart), I think he was more heading west towards the port (I can't remember its name)

I think Rickon will play an important part when the story will move on, especially with regards on the claim on WInterfell.

At this point lots of people wants to control the place through the Stark children (especially Sansa and the fake Arya) because everybody think the boys are dead, but if someone find RIckon, he would be the legitimate heir.

I agree, since Bran can't have kids, Rickon is the only hope of continuing House Stark (since the girl's kids would carry their father's name). He has to appear at some point! Even though I also think he'll be this undisciplined, fucked-up teenager without his parents, or other Stark (or even the Stark Household) guidance...

Yes, he is mentioned 2/5 of the way into A Dance with Dragons, (SPOILERS FOR ADwD)

His Location

He is currently on Skagos.

His Possible role in The Winds of Winter

I think that he will assert his claim on Winterfell, and unite the North under Stannis' Banner, assuming he and Stannis live.

• 1 month later...

Rickon is kind of a pointless character. He's 4 years old so really, what more can he do but give his awesome direwolf a stupid name like Shaggydog? I think it was a mistake introducing him unless he somehow makes an appearance in the later books? Who knows, maybe in the final couple of books, GRMM flash forwards and Rickon's grown up but bitter as hell.

Bran makes sense as a character although I wonder how much more he can contribute sans legs especially if he didn't bother with The Wall.

Shaggydog is an awsome name! Way better than "Ghost" or "Summer"!

I hope that Rickon grow up, and turn to be a real Stark, just has his father and strong like Winter, with Shaggydog and some loyal people (that would guide him) at his side because i think he is the only true hope for the Starks of Winterfell and for the North.

Well, GRRM could have devoted pages & pages following Rickon and his wolf in pointless adventures, but why risk the story turning into a "shaggy dog tale"?

I feel like every Stark is vital to the series. I have a feeling that GRRM has something exciting and unexpected for Rickon... something that will make all of us throw down our books and yell out loud, "What the hell?!"...but in a good way. Lord knows I've done that only about 1,000 times throughout the series.

Rickon might just become the new king beyond the wall xD

Never thought about that myself, but actually it could be possible, and a satisfying way to end his story.

Never thought about that myself, but actually it could be possible, and a satisfying way to end his story.

Yeah first just ment it as a joke but when i came to think about it, him beeing away with osha and all, might be a plausible outcome to the storyline

Yeah first just ment it as a joke but when i came to think about it, him beeing away with osha and all, might be a plausible outcome to the storyline

Indeed. He's becoming more and more a wildling, growing up with Shaddydog and Osha. Not really the example of a civilized education. From now on, I'll shout Rickon, KING BEYOND THE WALL!

• 1 month later...

Rickon is the Stark's only hope. Bran can't have children. Jon has made a vow to never take lands, marry or father children and leaving the wall would be desertion and that means death; so even if I took his father's name, he couldn't be Lord of Winterfell. That falls on Rickon. Rickon is only a child of five or six. Bran fell when he was seven and he was already talking about his obligations to the family, then. Rickon when he is eight or nine should come out of the woodwork and make his claim. By then, he should have knights and lords supporting him as the rightful heir of Winterfell. I think his being wild could be made into an asset if he had the right men under him.

I do wonder what becoming a warg so young will do to him. He isn't growing up without guidance. The house had servants and tutors. He has Osha to love him and protect him during his journey. He will have a mother figure in whereever he ends up. Osha will continue to love and protect him whereever they go. Still, he might see himself as more wolf than boy being a warg and not having the guidance of the Reeds to help him understand what he's feeling.

Still, I'm curious about how Martin plan to use this character. There are many possiblities. He isn't growing up unloved. Osha will see to that he is loved.

I really do like Osha and would like to see more of her, but agree youv can't do much w/Rickon alone (meaning POV). Now a POV of Osha would be awesome, but he's too young to know much of anything. I do hope we see them again soon.

Rickon is kind of a pointless character. He's 4 years old so really, what more can he do but give his awesome direwolf a stupid name like Shaggydog? I think it was a mistake introducing him unless he somehow makes an appearance in the later books? Who knows, maybe in the final couple of books, GRMM flash forwards and Rickon's grown up but bitter as hell.

Bran makes sense as a character although I wonder how much more he can contribute sans legs especially if he didn't bother with The Wall.

Pointless? He is a character with great potential, seriously keep reading, just because he doesn't have a POV or shows up every 3 chapters doesn't make him less important, if anything we still have much to learn about Rickon, the most Starkish Stark of the bunch (they are supposed to be imulsive, short tempered more like Ned's brother Brandon)

Hmmm....now I'm intrigued haha. I do think he'll have his purpose, we just need to be patient. I feel a lot of people discuss Bran in the same light, that he doesn't do much, but I really like him and think w/each book he becomes more interesting and his story more involved.

His purpose is to be a puppet Lord.

they are supposed to be imulsive, short tempered more like Ned's brother Brandon
Or Jaime Lannister. He's an awesome Stark. Anyway, given the Starks we saw, they are not supposed to be anything, they have all different personalities, and they still are all Starks. There is no "true Stark".

We dont know that Robb's wife isnt pregnant, so she could also carry on the Stark name, if pregnant.

If she's pregnant with a boy and Bran oor Rickon resurface, this may lead to huge conflict in succession. Considering the ambiguity of the Westerling family, I am sure some lords of the North will rather follow Ned's younger sons than any Westerling's baby. I am sure there will be enough players around to orchestrate this conflict.

Shaggydog will be grown into an adult direwolf before Rickon even leaves kindergarden... so I think Rickon will be the Stark kid who's the most dominated by his Wolf side. Wild, fierce, passionate, but also utterly undisciplined and uncontrollable.

I definitely agree with this. Rickon won't have been raised like his sisters and brothers who were in a safe castle with a family. He will have been raised on the run with Osha and Shaggydog! Not exactly the most tender and loving environment. He was always much more wild than any of the other Stark children and now with him being a warg and all I really want to see how that turns out.

I think we will see Rickon again in some capacity. He has been tucked away for now but I again think that is for a reason.

His purpose is to be a puppet Lord.

This could be the case if he was captured by some other faction. However, I'm not sure how that would work since there are still

those who are further along in succession than he is.

This could be the case if he was captured by some other faction. However, I'm not sure how that would work since there are still those who are further along in succession than he is.
Not as far as most of the realm knows.

Archived