A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

Stannis is 2 years younger than Robert according to the wiki.

Actually, less than two.

“Robert’s lusts were the subject of ribald drinking songs throughout the realm, but Stannis was a different sort of man; a bare year younger than the king, yet utterly unlike him, stern, humorless, unforgiving, grim in his sense of duty.” (AGoT 232)
emphasis added

He is less than two years younger and more than one, with the likelihood being that he is just over 12 months younger than Robert.

I was just wondering (sorry if this was already settled) if there is a common understanding as to how Wex was able to figure out that Rickon and Osha are heading for Skagos. It's not that he saw them boarding the ship and accidentally heard something like 'let's go to Skagos, shall we?' Otherwise his possibilities to get an information concerning ship's destination were really limited, provided he couldn't speak, right?

Maybe something like:

Wex follows behind Rickon, Osha, and Shaggydog at a safe enough distance to avoid detection, but still in range of hearing.

Rickon: Where are we going???? I'm tired.

Osha: I told you, we can rest when we get to Skagos.

And Wex, being Ironborn, would know where Skagos is on a map.

Or maybe he just followed their trail for a while and took a stab in the dark about where they were headed. Get it? Stab in the dark? Because he showed where they went by throwing a knife at a map. Such an over-the-top scene.

Fill in the blanks as you see fit, as I did for myself above. There's zero textual evidence for how a lifelong islander and sailor (and a young one, at that) was able to avoid being detected by a direwolf and an experienced wildling while still figuring out where they went., so we can only speculate.

my question has two parts.

1: did lord manderly ride out with his forces at the end of the book?

2: if he did, how did the fat man manage it? i suppose he could have ridden out in his wagon and since he intended to betray the freys and boltons, there was no risk of getting caught by Stannis' forces HOWEVER, weren't the freys sent out as well? if that were the case, wouldn't a slow and ponderous wagon present a very ugly weakness in a battle?

i see now that i'm wrong and there were more than two questions. forgive me.

I was just wondering (sorry if this was already settled) if there is a common understanding as to how Wex was able to figure out that Rickon and Osha are heading for Skagos. It's not that he saw them boarding the ship and accidentally heard something like 'let's go to Skagos, shall we?' Otherwise his possibilities to get an information concerning ship's destination were really limited, provided he couldn't speak, right?

Maybe something like:

Wex follows behind Rickon, Osha, and Shaggydog at a safe enough distance to avoid detection, but still in range of hearing.

Rickon: Where are we going???? I'm tired.

Osha: I told you, we can rest when we get to Skagos.

And Wex, being Ironborn, would know where Skagos is on a map.

Or maybe he just followed their trail for a while and took a stab in the dark about where they were headed. Get it? Stab in the dark? Because he showed where they went by throwing a knife at a map. Such an over-the-top scene.

Fill in the blanks as you see fit, as I did for myself above. There's zero textual evidence for how a lifelong islander and sailor (and a young one, at that) was able to avoid being detected by a direwolf and an experienced wildling while still figuring out where they went., so we can only speculate.

Remember the Godswood in Winterfell?

Wex was up in the Heart tree while Maester luwin was talking to Bran, Osha,Rickon and Hodor as they left the woods Osha goes back to give the Maester mercy we weren't privy to what went on there did Luwin tell Osha where to go? maybe that is how Wex knows, maybe.

Hi everyone. I just finished DwD this morning - I refrained from looking up anything aSoIaF-related until I read all 5 books to avoid spoilers. Well, now I have, so here I am.

My question: Is Stannis really dead? I think Ramsay is most likely lying about that, but if he's still alive it doesn't seem as if he's had much success taking Winterfell ....

Ask yourself this Reek and Fake Arya are with Stannis, right. So if stannis is dead why is he asking about Reek and fake Arya? So is stannis really dead? I do not hink so. i believe when Stannis will die we will witness it like when ned died.

and Welcome and enjoy surfing this forum. it is addicting trust me.

Hi everyone. I just finished DwD this morning - I refrained from looking up anything aSoIaF-related until I read all 5 books to avoid spoilers. Well, now I have, so here I am. My question: Is Stannis really dead? I think Ramsay is most likely lying about that, but if he's still alive it doesn't seem as if he's had much success taking Winterfell ....

probably lying, yes

I saw that entry too, but I think whoever added it just made an assumption. In the book, the KOM speaks to Arya, and says:

[...] On the morrow you will go to Izembaro to begin your first apprenticeship. [...]

I guess it's assumed to be a person in the Wiki, simply because there is no place called Izembaro on the maps we've seen.

I guess it's assumed to be a person in the Wiki, simply because there is no place called Izembaro on the maps we've seen.

I would guess that it is a city as well: we have very poor maps of Essos, and the FM don't seem to give out their names very often (we don't have names for the Kindly old man or the waif.)

Ow ... Izembaro could be a place that Arya has to go ... good thinking, but it sounds like a person to me, though. The Kindly Man named that fisherman before by name. It would not necessarily be a Faceless Man where Arya takes up her new apprenticeship. She will not wear her last borrowed face but a face as pretty as her own. Perhaps we will see her next in some pleasure house ... but I don't hope so. :frown5:

Archived