A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

my question has two parts.

1: did lord manderly ride out with his forces at the end of the book?

2: if he did, how did the fat man manage it? i suppose he could have ridden out in his wagon and since he intended to betray the freys and boltons, there was no risk of getting caught by Stannis' forces HOWEVER, weren't the freys sent out as well? if that were the case, wouldn't a slow and ponderous wagon present a very ugly weakness in a battle?

i see now that i'm wrong and there were more than two questions. forgive me.

Speculating on what GRMM will do in the next book, if he finishes it, is IMO not such a great use of time.

You are right Manderly needs a litter or wagon to get about. He has become so fat he can barely stand and is mocked as Lord too fat to sit a horse. Of course that means he's useless in battle.

Manderly tells Davos his body has become a prison, so he knows it. But being fat doesn't mean Manderly is not brave. He turns up at Winterfell without the wards and hostages Bolton has requested. We know he's secretly trying to get back one of the Stark kids. He can't by himself openly oppose Bolton, who all know are ruthless and cunning and have men and power. So Manderly has decided to pretend loyalty and do what he can to oppose the Bolton/Lannister/Frey alliance. It's pretty clear he's killed a few Frey's (and IMO Little Walder as well to remove him as a groom for his granddaughter).

Davos tells us Manderly looks ill, his skin having a greyish caste. IMO Manderly is doing what he can to oppose Bolton given his physical limitations--playing a role pretty much knowing he'll likely be killed.

It seemed like Manderly was hurt but not killed by Hosteen Frey. So we'll see what happens in WOW.

I dont think so

There's not really anyone more evil though is there? He has the whole - undefeatable champion thing going on now too... what's a few 'others' running around Westeros compared to the rape and pillage crusades of Ser Gregor..? and weirdly enough he was knighted by Rhaegar who's wife was raped and son was murdered by the mountain... Rhaegar named Aegon as the PtwP... who was killed shortly after by the mountain that rides... does that not make Gregor the undisputed mortal enemy of the PtwP? The Targaryens? and all of Westeros?

At the wall - king's men vs. queen's men?

I'm a little confused (I think) about the references to the king's men and the queen's men. Just to clarify, the "king's men" are Stannis' soldiers and the "queen's men" are soldiers sent by Cersei?

I thought Cersei's plan was to have her guys actually take the black. Or does the "queen's men" refer to something else I'm totally missing.

Queen's men are queen Selyse's

Though it's plausible that the loyalty of many of them would lie with Mel rather than Selyse, should a rift develop between them. As Selyse is so fervent in following Mel, that would of course require quite an upheaval (not sure if even Mel betraying Stannis for Jon would do the trick).

In Mels chapter she has a vision of Bran and Bloodraven and see's them as the enemy, further on she sees a cave with hundreds of fires being reduced to only skulls. I assumed this was the cave Bran is in since it is filled with bones already if I remember correctly.

I dont have my book nearby to quote exactly but does this mean the CotF spells will fail and the wights will attack?

In Mels chapter she has a vision of Bran and Bloodraven and see's them as the enemy, further on she sees a cave with hundreds of fires being reduced to only skulls. I assumed this was the cave Bran is in since it is filled with bones already if I remember correctly.

I dont have my book nearby to quote exactly but does this mean the CotF spells will fail and the wights will attack?

Interesting chapter!. I think sthe scene of the caves in the grey wall was another place - or time, I think. She saw a white mist entering the cave and arrows, and one by one the fires went out till only the skulls remained.

I found interesting too that Mel is convinced Bloodraven can't be the Great Other.

At the wall - king's men vs. queen's men?

I'm a little confused (I think) about the references to the king's men and the queen's men. Just to clarify, the "king's men" are Stannis' soldiers and the "queen's men" are soldiers sent by Cersei?

I thought Cersei's plan was to have her guys actually take the black. Or does the "queen's men" refer to something else I'm totally missing.

In one of Davos' chapters he designates 'queens men' as stannis' subjects following r'hllor/mellisandre, and 'kings men' as those remaining loyal to the seven

A small query. Isn't the Golden company supposed to oppose YG if he was real Aegon? Wouldn't they want a Blackfyre in the iron throne instead of a Targ?

Theoretically and historically: Yes, as their founders and for some part ancestors were Blackfyre supporters. But most of all they're exiles from Westeros and it's quite conceivable that they would follow any king who is prepared to win them back their lands and titles. Also keep in mind that the Blackfyres aren't opposed to the rule of the dragonlords - they just think that the throne succession should have been different. But in the absence of a Blackfyre heir, the throne would revert to the Targ line we know so well in their eyes too.

Of course, if 1) Aegon were a Blackfyre and 2) leading figures of the Golden Company knew about it, their behaviour suddenly becomes extremely straightforward. This is one of the arguments for the "Aegon is a Blackfyre!"-theory, which is discussed in several threads in this forum. Though it's perfectly possible to adhere to the theory without believing the Golden Company head honchos to be in the know.

Archived