A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

In Mels chapter she has a vision of Bran and Bloodraven and see's them as the enemy, further on she sees a cave with hundreds of fires being reduced to only skulls. I assumed this was the cave Bran is in since it is filled with bones already if I remember correctly.

I dont have my book nearby to quote exactly but does this mean the CotF spells will fail and the wights will attack?

It could also, and I think does, refer to the 100 caves at Hardhome where Jon sent Cotter Pyke and all the NW ships to save the wildlings.

Is there any information on who cold hands is? I always thought benjen start took the form of a wight as he was dying since the Starks have the gift of changing forma

Its probably Benjen Stark. He's described as gaunt, as is Coldhands. Also, Coldhands is completely devoted to Bran, which would be odd if he were random NW#45. Its not for sure but Benjen is the most likely candidate.

Varymyr tells us in the prologue and Mel shows us later that they can control other beings and take a body from another warg.

Leaf tells Bran that the wights killed him (Coldhands) long ago.

My guess is that Bloodraven or the COTF managed to keep Coldhands from becoming a wight under the Others control by some of their magic or by winning a fight for control of Coldhand's mind.

In one of the last Barristan chapters, Ser Barristan goes up to Quentyn just as Hizdahr adjourns court, and thinks to himself that Quentyns rooms are "two levels down."

He then asks Quentyn for a word, who replies "Ser Barristan. Of course. My chambers are one level down." Barristan thinks to himself, "No."

What's the deal here? Was Quentyn thinking fast on his feet, if so, what possible plan could he have had?

In one of the last Barristan chapters, Ser Barristan goes up to Quentyn just as Hizdahr adjourns court, and thinks to himself that Quentyns rooms are "two levels down."

He then asks Quentyn for a word, who replies "Ser Barristan. Of course. My chambers are one level down." Barristan thinks to himself, "No."

What's the deal here? Was Quentyn thinking fast on his feet, if so, what possible plan could he have had?

Did Barristan by any chance follow Quentyn down one level? That would have made them one level away from Quentyn's chambers.

What happened at the Bridge of Dreams?

Did the imp drown?

Is the imp immune to greyscale?

Was there some time reset?

Here is a thread about that strange Bridge of Dream episode: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/55243-adwd-spoilers-bridge-of-dreams/

Personally I believe it was just the boat getting caught in a current and being carried around an island in the river.

What happened at the Bridge of Dreams?

Did the imp drown?

Is the imp immune to greyscale?

Was there some time reset?

Would have to re-read it to be certain, but on 'The bridge of dream' they were attacked by the grey men and tyrion ended up being dragged into the rhoyne by one of them,saving young griff.

He did not drown, but was saved by Griff (connington) who we know contracted Greyscale from the misadventure at the bridge of dream.

I don't believe anyone is 'immune' to greyscale, rather tyrion got very lucky and didn't catch it for one reason or another.

And no time reset took place to my knowledge.

Has there been any hints that Syrio may still be alive, or is the very last we see of him when he is about to fight Meryn Trant?

Trant has proven to be a fairly ineffectual knight, so I wouldn't be surprised if Syrio survived.

Bonus Question: what are the chances that Haviland Tuf comes along and fixes the problem of uneven seasons in Westeros?

Just my two cents on a few of the previous questions:

I don't think Tyrion is immune to greyscale, but they have alluded to nobles that tend not to get sick (especially Dany), and that could be at play here.

We really don't know who coldhands is. Benjen makes sense in some regards. But at the same time, you would think Bran, who is pretty clever, would recognize Benjen as Coldhands.

There's really no great theories for who Coldhands is.

Has there been any hints that Syrio may still be alive, or is the very last we see of him when he is about to fight Meryn Trant?

There was an idea that SF could be the faceless man we meet later in ACoK, but I've red somewhere that GRRM confirmed Syrio is dead. Someone would have to find out that FAQ/interview to get exact words, though.

Trant has proven to be a fairly ineffectual knight, so I wouldn't be surprised if Syrio survived.

No.

Syrio did not run, would not run, made a point of it. Trant survived, therefore Syrio did not. Next day (or later same day?) Trant is questioned by Cersei and mentions the dancing master 'giving them some trouble' or something like that, but no more.

Syrio is dead.

No.

Syrio did not run, would not run, made a point of it. Trant survived, therefore Syrio did not. Next day (or later same day?) Trant is questioned by Cersei and mentions the dancing master 'giving them some trouble' or something like that, but no more.

Syrio is dead.

While my personal opinion is the same as yours (Trant killed Syrio), I have to point out that the "neither can live while the other survives" is not forced here: If Syrio immobilized/disarmed/whatevered Trant, he could have simply walked away without killing him. It's quite conceivable that Syrio would have considered killing the obviously incompetent and disarmed Trant to be beneath him, even though Trant would later claim he ran.

Seeing with my eyes, a Syrio win against the incredibly better armed Trant seems unlikely, even more so a win without inflicting serious injury, but I don't think it can be ruled out.

While my personal opinion is the same as yours (Trant killed Syrio), I have to point out that the "neither can live while the other survives" is not forced here: If Syrio immobilized/disarmed/whatevered Trant, he could have simply walked away without killing him. It's quite conceivable that Syrio would have considered killing the obviously incompetent and disarmed Trant to be beneath him, even though Trant would later claim he ran.

Seeing with my eyes, a Syrio win against the incredibly better armed Trant seems unlikely, even more so a win without inflicting serious injury, but I don't think it can be ruled out.

Possible, but this leaves us to ask 'Where is Syrio?' Thinking this way, Syrio is not Jaqen (which I doubted anyway, I can't see syrio having stuff to do in the citadel) And as such a liked character, I can't see george not giving us closure if Syrio is alive.

It could also, and I think does, refer to the 100 caves at Hardhome where Jon sent Cotter Pyke and all the NW ships to save the wildlings.

I wasn't aware of caves at Hardhome, one of the reasons i thought it was the childrens cave was that there already was bones on the ground.

If Syrio escaped, Trant wouldn't be so calm talking about it to Cersei. Cersei would have found out sooner or later and Trant would have been in serious shit.

Arya running away and being 'lost' alone when all the retainers are dead is an annoying little mystery but politically best kept silent and forgotten.

Arya escaping with a loyal retainer who beat off a KG and half a dozen Lannister guardsmen with a training sword is a big deal indeed and much would have been made of it, demanding Arya be found before she can escape KL.

On her own, Arya is a lost little girl with no expected survival prospects. No one would consider that she could make it back to Stark lines so she is just a 'lost' playing piece. But Arya with such a resourceful and capable retainer? That's a piece that needs to be dealt with.

There is no way Syrio escaped Trant. If he did there would have been more about it. It's too important politically to be ignored.

Syrio v Trant:

If Trant lost in a fight to an unarmed and unequipped combatant it would be rather embarrassing, and may be an encounter that he would embellish or flat out misguide someone on the outcome. Revisionist history is rather easy to create when you are the only one to speak on the matter. Its not as if we can rely on Trant's Honor.

If Syrio temporarily incapacitates Trant, he could move on.

That being said; Easterners seem to have difficulty fighting fully armored and trained Westerosi Knights.. See Selmy vs the pit fighter. The first thing i thought of after Selmy's fight was Syrio v Trant, Trant is not Selmy and the fighter is not Syiro, but the difficulty the fighter experienced would be akin to Syrio's.

Which leads me to: The Kat is Dead.

In the epilogue, Cersei and Kevan are having dinner, and talking about his wife, when she says:

It is a wise woman who knows her place.

That makes Kevan wary, and he asks her to say what she means, and she says she thought she did. Then the conversation shifts.

What was that all about? Was she referring to herself, or his wife?

Archived