A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

@spork

I just re-read that epilogue last night, actually. That line struck me as well. I took it to mean that Cersei was praising his wife for staying at home, and not coming to the capitol, i.e. "knowing her place" in contrast to Cersei herself, who has been in the capitol and just endured a crushing defeat in her endeavors there.

I don't think for a minute that she's sincere, of course - just trying to butter up Kevan, who basically holds her fate in his hands at this point (at least for the next 10 minutes, until Varys puts a quarrel in him). She's just being ingratiating because she's clearly already back to scheming.

As far as I know, there are up to three potential connections to cannibalism. None is airtight, but all have some things going for them:

1) When warged into Summer, he's okay with eating human flesh. Not cannibalism in the strict sense, but something close to it and one of the three big taboos of warging.

2) Coldhands happens to find a sow in the abandoned village, they eat. Beyond the wall is not Cockaigne, so many people wonder whether Coldhands was being truthful or whether he just lied to spare them the moral dilemma. Of course, sometimes a sow is just a sow, but then again sometimes it isn't.

3) Jojen (who seems to be aware of when he'll die) becomes depressed and afraid, Bran is served weirwood paste with what looks like blood in it, Jojen isn't seen after that. There's some speculation that Jojen was somehow sacrificed to make the magically potent paste. It's possible, but the evidence is hardly conclusive, and it might put a dent in the Children's "wise good wood-sprites" image, so many people are opposing this theory with a vengeance.

We saw seven direwolves in this story. At the end of ADWD there are four, assuming Shaggydog is still alive.

There is no mention of other direwolves, the one who leads the pack near the Trident seems to be Nymeria.

It is said there are still direwolves behind the Wall (Osha said something like that, I believe.)

But even beyond the wall there is no talk of other direwolves than Ghost and Summer.

Summer's pack (One-Eye, Sly, ..?) I saw as wolves, not direwolves.

Why don't we see or hear about other direwolves? The other creatures that we are told that are threatened with extinction (giants, mammoths, shadowcats) we see in sometimes astonishing numbers, notably at the Milkwater.

Where are the direwolves? Did I miss some mention of them in the text?

We saw seven direwolves in this story. At the end of ADWD there are four, assuming Shaggydog is still alive.

There is no mention of other direwolves, the one who leads the pack near the Trident seems to be Nymeria.

It is said there are still direwolves behind the Wall (Osha said something like that, I believe.)

But even beyond the wall there is no talk of other direwolves than Ghost and Summer.

Why don't we see or hear about other direwolves? The other creatures that we are told that are threatened with extinction (giants, mammoths, shadowcats) we see in sometimes astonishing numbers, notably at the Milkwater.

It was Benjen Stark that I notably remember mentioning direwolves beyond the Wall, but no, we haven't seen any aside from the Stark 'pets'. Then again, someone (don't remember exactly who) says nobody in living memory has seen a direwolf until now, so it's entirely possible they're naturally reclusive.

Also, you mention shadowcats as nearing extinction, I don't remember this, as they seem to be fairly populous in the mountains of the moon (the cloak Tyrion won from Marillion was a shadowcat cloak) and Catlyn's party could hear the shadowcats devouring the dead after the battle with the mountain clans.

I believe that direwolves had not been seen South of the Wall for generations, but they are known to survive in the far north. That said, they were described by the COTF as nearing extinction, and they are probably quite rare north of the Wall as well (Varamyr is envious of Ghost, and doesn't have a direwolf of his own.)

Giants and mammoths were not seen in great numbers - only a few dozen to a few hundred. I don't have the book with me, so the numbers might vary - but even a few hundred giants means that they are nearly extinct, especially when compared to Mance's ~30K wildlings.

Shadow cats were not described as nearly extinct - the COTF singled out unicorns, which live on Skagos.

Sorry if this has been asked before and answered.

I am re-reading ADWD, and in a Jon chapter it is mentioned that Jarman Buckwell (misspelled Jarmen) is dead. I remember though (and the wiki confirms it) that he survived the expedition beyond the Wall and returned to Castle Black, since he was the one who gave the report on Jon riding with the wildlings in ASOS.

The only plausible place where he might have died afterwards is at the Bridge of Skulls where the Night's Watch fought the Weeper.

So my question is: Did Martin make a mistake with Buckwell and he should not be dead? Or did I miss something? I'm pretty sure that Martin thinks he is dead since other than that mention, he does not appear in ADWD.

I just have this one little thing on my mind! In ADWD, Amongst The Frey & Bolton garrison sent to combat Stannis's forces upon his arrival at Winterfell, is it made clear that any other Houses, apart from the Umbers provided soilders to support Bolton's cause? (Mainl, did the Manderleys go to aid the Boltons?)

Sorry if it seems stupid, but wierdly, if I get a more detailied answer, I can finally put my theory to bed!

Cheers

I just have this one little thing on my mind! In ADWD, Amongst The Frey & Bolton garrison sent to combat Stannis's forces upon his arrival at Winterfell, is it made clear that any other Houses, apart from the Umbers provided soilders to support Bolton's cause? (Mainl, did the Manderleys go to aid the Boltons?)

Sorry if it seems stupid, but wierdly, if I get a more detailied answer, I can finally put my theory to bed!

Cheers

Yes, the Manderlys were in winterfell with the Boltons. Particularly Wyman Manderly, the Lord of White Harbor.

Question: what was the name of the ghost/spirt/vision of the person(I think it was a Woman) from the House of the Undying that gave Dany a riddle in aDwD?

Thank you for any help/answer to my question.

Maybe you mean Quaithe?

The one who told Dany "to go north, journey south" etc...

Could someone please clarify the differences between white walkers, whights, and the others.?.? I learned about highlighting in my nook a little too late and it is such a pain to go back and look through it for a refresher, esspecially since i bought it as the 4 book combo, making it 3,000 and some pages long.

Alys Karstark was near death due to the cold. I guess that was the interpretation of crumbling.

Could it be possible that Alys Karstark was already dead, and that hers is the "pretty face" Arya is wearing? Making that actually Arya doing a gigantic fake-out of everyone, (including Jon,) in order to get to her target?

Archived