A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

Could it be possible that Alys Karstark was already dead, and that hers is the "pretty face" Arya is wearing? Making that actually Arya doing a gigantic fake-out of everyone, (including Jon,) in order to get to her target?

Definitely not possible, Arya is still in Braavos at the end of the book.

Could someone please clarify the differences between white walkers, whights, and the others.?.? I learned about highlighting in my nook a little too late and it is such a pain to go back and look through it for a refresher, esspecially since i bought it as the 4 book combo, making it 3,000 and some pages long.

A white walker is a colloquial term for an Other. An Other is a supernatural creature, the likes of which Ser Waymar Royce fights in the GOT prologue; IIRC, there's also a pretty good description there A wight is a zombie re-animated by the Others. An Other can only be killed with dragonglass (obsidian), but a wight can be killed simply by being burned.

I don't think Sam's horn is the horn of Joramun. Jon found that horn buried with a bunch of dragonglass crap.

So... maybe the wights or the Others buried those because they were affraid of what it does to them (you know...the killing thing).

Why would the Others bury a horn that would help them bring down the wall? I think we haven't seen that horn yet, and nobody has it. If I had to choose among the horns we've seen, I'd say it's the one that Euron has, or something similar.

When the Wall falls (it surely will) it will be something like Jericho.

I don't think Sam's horn is the horn of Joramun. Jon found that horn buried with a bunch of dragonglass crap.

So... maybe the wights or the Others buried those because they were affraid of what it does to them (you know...the killing thing).

Why would the Others bury a horn that would help them bring down the wall?

At least to me, it seems more likely that the stash Sam found was not buried by the Others out of fear of its contents (hey, couldn't they have buried it properly if they were so afraid of it?) but was in fact buried by someone to protect the contents. Think: Hidden treasure / emergency cache.

Thus, I think that the little Chekhov's gun that Sam is holding is the most likely candidate for Joramun's horn. Several people who we'd expect to have good judgement have recognized Mance's horn as a propaganda fake and Euron's/Victarion's horn that focusses on dragons is a Valyrian artefact (complete with Valyrian glyphs), and that doesn't sound much like the horn of King-Beyond-the-Wall Joramun. Obviously possible, but at least to me it would be quite surprising.

Dragonglass means no harm for wights. They could have done it under an Other's command.

Anyways... Jon's incidental finding of the horn sounds far-fetched... The wildlings had been looking for that horn for years, and Jon just happens to find it half buried with a bunch of dragonglass spears and stuf... I don't know. It's possible, but it sounds forced.

That's why I think we haven't seen the horn yet. But a Valyrian horn makes MUCH sense to me. King Joramun might have brought it from Valyria just like Euron did. And a dragon horn that burns the person who blows it from the inside sounds appropriate to bring down a wall of ice.

Dragonglass means no harm for wights. They could have done it under an Other's command.

Anyways... Jon's incidental finding of the horn sounds far-fetched... The wildlings had been looking for that horn for years, and Jon just happens to find it half buried with a bunch of dragonglass spears and stuf... I don't know. It's possible, but it sounds forced.

That's why I think we haven't seen the horn yet. But a Valyrian horn makes MUCH sense to me. King Joramun might have brought it from Valyria just like Euron did. And a dragon horn that burns the person who blows it from the inside sounds appropriate to bring down a wall of ice.

Was Valyria around in Joramun's time

Dragonglass means no harm for wights. They could have done it under an Other's command. Anyways... Jon's incidental finding of the horn sounds far-fetched... The wildlings had been looking for that horn for years, and Jon just happens to find it half buried with a bunch of dragonglass spears and stuf... I don't know. It's possible, but it sounds forced.

It didn't 'just happen' though. The dragonglass and horn were wrapped in a Night's Watch cloak, on a major landmark and found by Ghost, not Jon. Clearly it was intended to be found.

I suspect it was stashed by a Nights Watch member, or former member, such as Benjen Stark or Coldhands. I suspect that it may have been 'pointed to' by Ranger signs (most such organisations have signs to indicate cairns or stashes of supplies etc) but Ghost found it first (and Jon wouldn;t know the signs yet since he wasn;t being trained as a ranger). But that part is purely speculative.

It sems pretty silly frankly for the Other's to have arranged it - they would surely have destroyed such items as the dragonglass by dumping them in the sea, or the bottom of a lake, or burying them in the middle of nowhere, rather than on the Fist of the First Men.

I think Joramun predates Valyria...

Question: if there were 3000 hill tribesmen fighting men not far south of the wall and the night's watch desperately needed help, why didn't they ask them? Or move the whole damn lot of them to the castles along the wall? They would sure beat the hell out of the wildlings.

Question: if there were 3000 hill tribesmen fighting men not far south of the wall and the night's watch desperately needed help, why didn't they ask them? Or move the whole damn lot of them to the castles along the wall? They would sure beat the hell out of the wildlings.

Because those hill tribesmen were scattered over hundreds of thousands of square miles of terribe country?

Before Jon, the men from the Night Watch may have gone to those clansmen to offer them to join the Watch, but they would have never offered their castles. The 'civilised' people from Westeros trust tribesmen as little as they trust wildlings and bogmen: they think they're just savages, barbarians and treacherous.

This idea of "let's ask these weird people for help" is exclusively a Stark idea. Nobody but Jon would have ever thought of making an alliance with people who are not a part of this feudal system of Westeros, they don't recognize overlords nor pay taxes to the Realm. Why would they help?

I think you're confusing the hill people (i.e. the Norreys, Liddles, Wulls, et al.) with the mountain tribesmen that Tyrion wins over. Those people are part of the feudal system and are loyal to the Starks. I do find it odd that all of a sudden there is this large fighting force that did not go with Robb, but now is helping out Stannis.

Small question:

Anyone have a list of living POV characters, or at least living and those whose "death" is questionable (ahem, Jon)?

Daenerys

Tyrion

Jon (badly wounded)

Bran

Sansa

Arya

Catelyn (zombified)

Theon

Davos

Samwell

Jaime (missing)

Cersei

Brienne

Aeron the Damphair

Victarion

Arianne

Asha

Areo Hotah

Jon Connington

Melisandre

Barristan Selmy

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone... I have not included Varamyr, even though he has his second life now (mainly because as a prologue POV he's classed as one-off anyways), but I did include Catelyn, although she most probably is only Stoneheart now.

The dead are Eddard, Arys Oakheart and Quentyn, plus the pro-/epilogues Will of the NW, Maester Cressen, Chett of the NW, Pate of the Citadel, Varamyr, Merrett Frey, Kevan.

Small question:

Anyone have a list of living POV characters, or at least living and those whose "death" is questionable (ahem, Jon)?

Bran (live)

Catelyn (stoneheart)(dead)

Daenerys (live)

Eddard (dead)

Jon (wounded)

Arya (live)

Tyrion (live)

Sansa (Live)

Davos (live)

Theon (live)

Jaime (MIA)

Samwell (live)

Aeron (damphair) (live)

Areo (Dornish guard) (live)

Cercei (live)

Brienne (MIA)

Asha (live)

Arys (dead)

Victarion (live)

Arienne (live)

Quentyn (dead)

Griff (Jon Connington)(live)

Melisandre (live)

Barristan (live)

This is a full list of all the character POVs in the books minus the epilogues and prologues, 24 POVs, 4 dead or resurrected, 3 unknowns, 17 live.

HBO is selling a T-shirt with the Frey sigil on it.

What would you say if you ran into someone wearing a shirt with the Frey insignia on it?

I saw The Frey wall plaque in an ad on this site, over there <<<<<< in the sidebar. I lol'd. WTF was their marketing department thinking?? I wonder how many they've sold?

I think you're confusing the hill people (i.e. the Norreys, Liddles, Wulls, et al.) with the mountain tribesmen that Tyrion wins over. Those people are part of the feudal system and are loyal to the Starks. I do find it odd that all of a sudden there is this large fighting force that did not go with Robb, but now is helping out Stannis.

Jon told Stannis that the hill tribes would fight for someone only if that person came to their homes personally. Then they would feel honored, and feast said person; that person would also have to praise their beautiful daughters and brave sons ;-) Robb never did that, so the hill tribes didn't rally to him. I'm also not sure that any ravens were sent to those mountains, just like no raven could be sent to Greywater March. Robb would have had to take crucial time to spend weeks feasting with the Flints, Norreys, Liddles, etc., then sail a ship flying his flag to find Greywater March, to bring ALL the power of the North with him. And if he had done the latter, there would be no mystery behind Jon Snow's parentage anymore ;)

Archived