A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

Jon told Stannis that the hill tribes would fight for someone only if that person came to their homes personally.

The impression I got was that as far as the rest of Westeros is concerned, those guys are feudal vassals to Winterfell; but in reality they're following an older tradition that goes back to the First Men, in which the Starks were their kings and kingship was a more local and personal thing, more like the way the wildlings view their leaders. There's some dialogue in ADWD where they're talking about Ned and instead of calling him "Ned" or "Lord Stark", they say "the Ned"— just as some of the wildlings called Mance Rayder "the Mance". They were clearly very loyal to him, but it wasn't a relationship that a southron lord would understand.

Anyway, Robb would probably have their loyalty, but he'd have to come and ask for it; and he'd have to explain why he's leading armies outside of the North, the only world they know anything about, which would seem pretty unusual to them. As you said, he probably just didn't bother because he knew it would take too long.

Small question concerning languages at the court of Meereen. When Quentyn arrives there and proposes an alliance to Dany, no less than Daario, Reznak mo Reznak, and the Shavepate speak the Common language. Was it to be expected for all three of them? How did they learn?

i have a question this silent knight robeert strong who doesnt eat drink s**t or piss is obviously a dead guy ressurectud by qyburn. seeing as he is more then 8 feet tall most people believe he is un-gregor and even kevan makes a refereence to him at the end of DWD. i was just thinking isnt gregors head in dorne even if it is just the skull and no skin what does robert strong have for a head? i have a theory myself that qyburn has managed to mix gregor clegane and robert baratheon and thus creating an unstoppable warrior with gregors immense height and roberts immense strenght. any help with this theory would be appreciated and i know that it might just be alot of bull

i have a question this silent knight robeert strong who doesnt eat drink s**t or piss is obviously a dead guy ressurectud by qyburn. seeing as he is more then 8 feet tall most people believe he is un-gregor and even kevan makes a refereence to him at the end of DWD. i was just thinking isnt gregors head in dorne even if it is just the skull and no skin what does robert strong have for a head? i have a theory myself that qyburn has managed to mix gregor clegane and robert baratheon and thus creating an unstoppable warrior with gregors immense height and roberts immense strenght. any help with this theory would be appreciated and i know that it might just be alot of bull

Gregor was actually probably stronger than Robert. Having said that, a lot of posters, half-jokingly, claim Ser Robert has Falyse's head.

It is described that he walked a lot. If you burn those calories each night and have trouble eating anyway ... it takes awhile before you don't look starved anymore I guess.

He really could not eat solid food, remember he said it was agonizing? I did not know broken teeth would be that painful, but he was imprisoned and tortured for so long his gums are probably going.

I will not defend Theon, but he was also a victim. Robb should not have sent him to treat with his father as the shame and humiliation brought upon him by his family led him to betray who he really loved and was loyal too: Robb Stark. But for another thread...

Re-reading ADWD and having just finished a Dany chapter, I've got a question:

Dany asks Ser Barristan about whether her parents married for love and before Selmy talks about Aerys and Joanna Lannister, he mentions a young stormlands knight who named Dany's mother and queen of love and beauty at a tourney. After she wed Aerys, this knight became pious (and went on to join the Faith?). Are there any theories as to who this knight may have been? As I read the line in the book, I just wondered if it was possible that he's actually the new High Septon...

[selmy] mentions a young stormlands knight who named Dany's mother and queen of love and beauty at a tourney. After she wed Aerys, this knight became pious (and went on to join the Faith?). Are there any theories as to who this knight may have been?

Indeed, it appears that this knight is Ser Bonifer "the Good" Hasty, now installed as castellan of Harrenhal. He is a Stormlands knight and from his conversations with Jaime, it transpires that in his youth, he was quite a promising jouster, but reoriented himself away from this life and towards the faith when his great love had to marry someone else. He did not become a septon, but one of the most pious knights of the Seven Kingdoms, leading his own force, the Holy Hundred.

Who are the second most powerful houses in each region after the major house at the start of the series? I can remember some being stated but anyone got any other information?

Riverlands = Frey

The Vale = Royce

The Reach = Hightower

Dorne = Yronwood

The North = ??

The Westerlands = ??

The Stormlands = ??

Iron Islands = ??

Crownlands = ??

Who are the second most powerful houses in each region after the major house at the start of the series? I can remember some being stated but anyone got any other information?

Riverlands = Frey

The Vale = Royce

The Reach = Hightower

Dorne = Yronwood

The North = ??

The Westerlands = ??

The Stormlands = ??

Iron Islands = ??

Crownlands = ??

Riverlands = Frey

The Vale = Royce

The Reach = Hightower

Dorne = Yronwood

The North = ?? Umber/Karstark

The Westerlands = ?? No ideas :(

The Stormlands = ?? Florents/Estermont

Iron Islands = ?? Harlaw

Crownlands = ?? Possibly Rosby

Small question concerning languages at the court of Meereen. When Quentyn arrives there and proposes an alliance to Dany, no less than Daario, Reznak mo Reznak, and the Shavepate speak the Common language. Was it to be expected for all three of them? How did they learn?

Daario is the easiest here, as he was a sellsword captain, he would have to have knowledge of several languages to be able to make the contracts that his troupe would fight for, Reznak and the Shavepate are both very high in the old and new Meereen aristocracy so it would not be unusual for them to have knowlege of the common tongue to treat with passers through from westeros.

The North = ?? Umber/Karstark

The Westerlands = ?? No ideas :(

The Stormlands = ?? Florents/Estermont

Iron Islands = ?? Harlaw

Crownlands = ?? Possibly Rosby

Bolton for the North. Rivals of the Starks for 1000s of years, Those are Stark skins on their sigil. Roose is given the independent command because he is the most senior, as well as the best 'command'-er.

After them, Manderly - richest, largest city, only major port...

Probably no-one for the Westerlands. After the Tarbecks and Reynes, no one really wants their family to show out above any others. Lannister supremacy, totally.

Bolton for the North. Rivals of the Starks for 1000s of years, Those are Stark skins on their sigil. Roose is given the independent command because he is the most senior, as well as the best 'command'-er.

After them, Manderly - richest, largest city, only major port...

Probably no-one for the Westerlands. After the Tarbecks and Reynes, no one really wants their family to show out above any others. Lannister supremacy, totally.

Damn, I actually forgot about the boltons when i was writing this, and was thinking afterward that the manderly's should have replaced Karstark, good catch Corbon :cheers:

Riverlands = Frey

The Vale = Royce

The Reach = Hightower

Dorne = Yronwood

The North = ??

The Westerlands = ??

The Stormlands = ??

Iron Islands = ??

Crownlands = ??

I thought this was a really fun topic, and took a little bit of time on the wiki to look into it.

Riverlands: The Freys take this easily, the only other house that seems to have much power and relevence is Mallister, and they surrendered to the Freys.

Vale - The Vale is lucky to have several powerful houses including: Royce, Redfort, Corbray (poor but important and noble), and Grafton. I'd argue that the most important secondary house at this time is Baelish. Petyr alone makes the Baelish relevent, and is in position to take control of (and retain) the Eyrie.

The Reach - Probably House Hightower, who preside over Oldtown. However, some mention should be made of House Tarly, who seem to win battle after battle, all over the seven kingdoms. Also, House Redwyne attends to the arbor, and with the amount that ASOIAF characters drink, there'd be seven kingdoms of people having DT's if they turned off the tap.

Dorne - The Wiki unequivocally states that Yronwood is the second most powerful house, previously fueding with the Martells. A third most powerful house is probably Uller, which spawned the influential Ellaria Sands, and was going to be the crowning place of Myrcelle Lannister

The North - I really have no idea. Manderly's got the money, Bolton's got the control, Karstark and Reed have large military forces, and the Reed's have magical powers. I guess I'd say Bolton takes the cake here.

Westerlands - Really not many good choices here. House Kenning lives on Kayce, the island off the coast, and may havee avoided complete submission to Lannister rule because of that.

Stormlands - It doesn't seem like many people live in the Stormlands. I'd say it boils down to a Tarth vs. Estermont battle for second most important house in the Stormlands, I'd say that Brienne's actions may determine this battle for supremacy by the end of the story.

Iron Islands - The Goodbrothers have a mine, and trees to trade w/ the rest of the Iron Island tribes, but they are landlocked. I think that the Harlaws are probably the second most relevent due to the fact that they are the richest of the houses in the Iron Islands.

Crownlands - The biggest city is Duskendale, family Rykker presides over that city. Another choice is Rosby.

Westerlands: I would vote for Lefford (Lannisters are the richest family in Westeros and their gold comes mainly from Golden Tooth which is also one of the main strongholds in Westerlands)

Iron Islands: Harlow of Harlow

Stormlands: Maybe House Caron as Lords of the Marches before they fell, now the "powerfull and cautious" House Swann. But there is clearly no big Number Two in this part of Westeros.

There is an interesting situation in the Reach.

House Hightower is clearly one of the principal houses being almost as rich as Lannisters and having good relations to Tyrells. On the other side, the Redwyne´s have the most powerfull fleet in Westeros (as strong as the Ironborn´s fleet, but under an absolute control of a single person) ans a blooming business :) But from what is told in the books I´ve got an impression that House Redwyne is a kind of semi-independant living off the coast and having all they need on their island. So I would give my voice to Hightower.

As for Florents, they lack the military strength (only two thousand men) and are not very popular in the Reach after betraying Tyrells :)

Archived