A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

Westerlands: I would vote for Lefford (Lannisters are the richest family in Westeros and their gold comes mainly from Golden Tooth which is also one of the main strongholds in Westerlands)

Iron Islands: Harlow of Harlow

Stormlands: Maybe House Caron as Lords of the Marches before they fell, now the "powerfull and cautious" House Swann. But there is clearly no big Number Two in this part of Westeros.

There is an interesting situation in the Reach.

House Hightower is clearly one of the principal houses being almost as rich as Lannisters and having good relations to Tyrells. On the other side, the Redwyne´s have the most powerfull fleet in Westeros (as strong as the Ironborn´s fleet, but under an absolute control of a single person) ans a blooming business :) But from what is told in the books I´ve got an impression that House Redwyne is a kind of semi-independant living off the coast and having all they need on their island. So I would give my voice to Hightower.

As for Florents, they lack the military strength (only two thousand men) and are not very popular in the Reach after betraying Tyrells :)

Couldn't House Tarly be added in we know they are a renouned house as they possess a blade of valyrian steel we also know they are a very well respected house as Randyll Tarly is seen as the greatest soldier of the time and he is given command of the Tyrell forces at Maidenpool and he is the man who beat Robert Baratheon at (Summerhall?) using only the Tyrell vangaurd

The Redwynes have a strong fleet but they don't have a great army. In land they are mainly winesellers.

Highgarden controls a great army, plus Oldtown, plus the Citadel.

If ever the Arbor is defeated, it wouldn't mean a great harm for the Tyrells, but if Oldtown is defeated it would be a HUGE setback for them.

Couldn't House Tarly be added in we know they are a renouned house as they possess a blade of valyrian steel we also know they are a very well respected house as Randyll Tarly is seen as the greatest soldier of the time and he is given command of the Tyrell forces at Maidenpool and he is the man who beat Robert Baratheon at (Summerhall?) using only the Tyrell vangaurd

House Tarly is IMHO in "the second row" of the mightiest houses of the Reach. That makes them in my opinion as strong as the most "Number two´s" of the other regions like Bolton, because the Reach is clearly the most populated and the richest region of Westeros. In the Reach there are some more important Houses of the second row, for example Rowan, Oakheart etc.

As for the possession of a Valirian sword, this fact as such doesn´t make a House great. Some of them are according GRRM in the possession of "lordlings".

The Redwynes have a strong fleet but they don't have a great army. In land they are mainly winesellers.

Highgarden controls a great army, plus Oldtown, plus the Citadel.

If ever the Arbor is defeated, it wouldn't mean a great harm for the Tyrells, but if Oldtown is defeated it would be a HUGE setback for them.

The defeat of the House Redwyne would mean a major disaster for Tyrells because there would be no chance to protect the coast line against attackers. Consider the viking raids in the 9th century in France. The king´s army defeated them in a major battle, but there was absolutely no way to stop their attacks effectiviely because of the lack of a stong fleet. As result the vikings could attack suddenly the towns where there was no army at that moment and even were allowed to attack Paris. Extrapolating this situation one can say that the defeat of Redwyne (naval control) would cause the defeat of Hightower (aka Paris). We actually have this situation in the book: the Redwyne´s fleet is away, and the Ironborn (vikings) sail up to Oldtown.

As for the army, the Redwyne´s plainly have a battle fleet, not only some big trade ships. In Westeros a naval battle goes in "an old style", using rams and a direct boarding. In this kind of battle there must be a strong contingent of men-at-arms on every ship to prevent it from taking and take the enemy ships. This "marine" if trained effectively is actually a very effective army. Assuming that a large ship can be easily packed with up to 60 to 100 soldiers, the military strengh of House Redwyne may be as large as 12 000 men (these men are not supposed to be always only Arbor soldiers of course). All said is only an approximation, but it shows that the must be an army on Arbor, and a rather strong one.

Hey Ghost,

6 skins did meet Jon, when he was trolling for information in the Wildling Camp, and considered stealing ghost right then and there.

It seems like wargs can sense each other, kind of similar to how Jon and the Wildling guy that wargs into the giant pig sense each other at the wall, and their beasts want to fight.

Just to clarify, this topic is about any small questions?

I wasn't sure where to post in - still sort of new to this board system - but my pondering was this:

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Willas Tyrell down in Highgarden?

Is he really as unthreatening as he seems? Any conspiracy theories?

e.g. He's Azor Ahai reborn and is Jon's *real father* :lol whut:

I do jest, but honestly, with little POV insight in that area, one has to wonder, as we've seen what his relatives get up to in KL; he is a Tyrell, and well, every rose has its thorns. Wondering what Willas' secret might be. Or is he one big red herring.

[if I need to be redirected elsewhere with my question, just tell me]

Hmmmmmm interesting... Willas was considered a match for Sansa so I wonder if he is on hold until she returns from the Vale...

But I would like to see him marry Martell's daughter, rally to the Dragon Prince and help to march on first the Ironborn then Kings Landing...

I know this would be betraying his family, against the Highgarden / Dorne history and generally out of left field but think on this...

His family abandoned him to go to KL... They are "in" (albeit not in secret) with the Lannisters, and it would be a way to carve his own name into the new Post-Dragon Westeros and could even leave him as the Hand to a new Targaryan King???

How is that for a conspiracy theory?

Having a good general doesn't make a House great. I don;t think we have any evidence that ranks House Tarly particularly high.

There are supposed to be around 200 Valyrian Steel weapons in Westeros alone.

Having a good general doesn't make a House great. I don;t think we have any evidence that ranks House Tarly particularly high. There are supposed to be around 200 Valyrian Steel weapons in Westeros alone.

And, yet, as far as we know, as of the beginning of the series, House Stark was the only one of the Great Houses to have a Valyrian Sword.

And, yet, as far as we know, as of the beginning of the series, House Stark was the only one of the Great Houses to have a Valyrian Sword.

I can't see house Arryn not having a Valyrian steel sword, plus i seem to recall the Tyrells owning one, if I'm wrong on either count, my apologies.

And Lannister used to have a VS sword, but it was lost.

Exactly.

There are around 200 such weapons, yet few of the great Houses have one in their possession. Clearly, possession of one is not a factor in greatness of House.

When was Maester Walys replaced with Maester Luwin?

Yes! I always wondered about this. Walys was a bastard son of a Hightower girl and an archmaester - which could remind us of a certain prologue.

It is suspected Walys influenced Rickard Stark in his 'southron ambitions', the marriage contracts with House Baratheon and House Tully.

We know that Catelyn says that Maester Luwin delivered all her kids.

Robb was born at Riverrun. So Maester Luwin came with Catelyn to Winterfell?

Assuming there were not two maesters at Winterfell Walys was probably not around anymore when Bran Sansa was born, and maybe earlier.

Having a good general doesn't make a House great. I don;t think we have any evidence that ranks House Tarly particularly high.

There are supposed to be around 200 Valyrian Steel weapons in Westeros alone.

True so i suppose its more Randyll Tarly who is possibly the 2nd or 3rd most important person in the reach rather then his house

Yes! I always wondered about this. Walys was a bastard son of a Hightower girl and an archmaester - which could remind us of a certain prologue.

It is suspected Walys influenced Rickard Stark in his 'southron ambitions', the marriage contracts with House Baratheon and House Tully.

We know that Catelyn says that Maester Luwin delivered all her kids.

Robb was born at Riverrun. So Maester Luwin came with Catelyn to Winterfell?

Assuming there were not two maesters at Winterfell Walys was probably not around anymore when Bran Sansa was born, and maybe earlier.

We're not too sure how old he was either. Maybe he was the Cressen, to Luwin's Pylos? But then Luwin was an old man anyway.

You think maybe Ned was wise to Walys' scheming and had him replaced? Or maybe Walys just died during the Rebellion off screen and Luwin accompanied Cat and they just replaced his position at Riverrun with Vyman?

I'm really intrigued by Bran's abilities.

On their way to see 3EC, Coldhands tells Bran et al to go to a village and wait for him there. When they are not sure of the way, Bran warges into Summer and smells the dead fires from the village. There's a line that says:

"When he trotted towards the scent, Hodor lumbered after him at once."

Does this mean that Bran can occupy Hodor's body whist warging as Summer or that Hodor now has a direct connection to Summer? Or is there another possibility?

I attributed this to Hodor being simple-minded and was following the wolf whom they have been travelling with for some time, in hopes of going somewhere, giant wolf = hunter = food.

A big guy needs lots of nourishment to stay moving.

I can't see house Arryn not having a Valyrian steel sword, plus i seem to recall the Tyrells owning one, if I'm wrong on either count, my apologies. And Lannister used to have a VS sword, but it was lost.

Correct about Lannister, but I said "as of the beginning of the series." I heavily doubt that Arryn had VS sword, as Jon Arryn's sword was used in the Trial by Combat for Tyrion, and there was no hint that it was a VS sword. No mention of House Tyrell having one either.

I'm really intrigued by Bran's abilities.

On their way to see 3EC, Coldhands tells Bran et al to go to a village and wait for him there. When they are not sure of the way, Bran warges into Summer and smells the dead fires from the village. There's a line that says:

"When he trotted towards the scent, Hodor lumbered after him at once."

Does this mean that Bran can occupy Hodor's body whist warging as Summer or that Hodor now has a direct connection to Summer? Or is there another possibility?

Well Arya is able to be both a cat looking down on proceedings and herself... She can both see the man before her and strike him with her walking stick...

With Bran being more open to the Warg within it stands to reason he cold occupy 2 bodies at once...

Archived