A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

If un-gregor is Robert Strong ... How is he alive? Fire could be one way to come back... Like Berric... Ice is another way.... But could Qyburn have used grey-scale to turn gregor to stone so that the mountain is literally made of rock? This would make him very difficult to kill.... As we have already seen swords dont do much.. I wounder how effective fire and ice would be... I cant see that Qyburn could be so confident otherwise....

Is Pycelle originally from the Westerlands or was he just so in awe of Tywin Lannister? Where does his unfailing loyalty come from?

I don;t know where he is from originally, but 20 years of serving with Tywin as an extremely competent Hand of the King, whil ethe King degenerated into madness might have something to do with it.

How does the female inheritance of house names work? Is Catelyn's last name, during her marriage with Ned, Stark or Tully? Does this change for people who do not come from noble households?

Catelyn Stark, though when people are just talking about her, it would likely be Catelyn Stark of House Tully (or a Tully of Riverrun.) The wife's house does get mentioned often, but it isn't an official thing.

How does the female inheritance of house names work? Is Catelyn's last name, during her marriage with Ned, Stark or Tully? Does this change for people who do not come from noble households?

What Always_En_Garde said, but it's also worth keeping in mind that Westeros doesn't exactly have "last names" the way we think of them. That is, the last name is not a legal part of the name (there's very little idea of "legal name" at all, since there are very few legal documents and no centralized databases)-- there are just certain expectations about how you're supposed to address someone. For trueborn nobles, that means adding the name of their house; for bastards, you use one of the standard regional names. For smallfolk, many just go by a first name, but some have adopted last names either to distinguish themselves from other similarly named people, or because it makes them sound fancy (Duck is an example of this), and then the children are likely to continue using that name— which is more or less how our current system evolved in medieval England.

Doran Martell to the Sand Snakes in ADwD.

Prince Doran took a jagged breath. “Dorne still has friends at court. Friends who tell us things we were not meant to know. This invitation Cersei sent us is a ruse. Trystane is never meant to reach King’s Landing. On the road back, somewhere in the kingswood, Ser Balon’s party will be attacked by outlaws, and my son will die. I am asked to court only so that I may witness this attack with my own eyes and thereby absolve the queen of any blame. Oh, and these outlaws? They will be shouting, ‘Halfman, Halfman,’ as they attack. Ser Balon may even catch a quick glimpse of the Imp, though no one else will.”

This is curious. This plot is not confirmed on the Lannister side. It seems that Ser Balon is honourable and would never participate in this.

I see several possibilities.

1. Doran is lying to the Sand Snakes to further inflame them.

2. The informer of Doran has lied.

3. Somebody has lied to the informer of Doran to identify him.

Can Dorne truly raise 50,000 spears like Quentyn claims? Seemed like a big bluff to me.

@Above: Well, it's a posibility we didn't knew all of Cersei's scheming and it's exactly as Doran claims.

I think Doran says that the 50k spears is a myth that is in Dorne's interests to perpetrate.

Did Howland Reed travel to Starfall with Ned after the Tower of Joy?

Interesting question. The text of the novels doesn't give us something conclusive - yet. GRRM stated in an interview that we will hear more about Ned, Lyanna and Rhaegar. I think there is a good possibility this information will come from someone who was at Starfall during the events in the South or maybe from that elusive Mr. Reed himself.

Sigh ... just a couple of years and I'll know :bang:

This is curious. This plot is not confirmed on the Lannister side.

I don't think it's actually confirmed, but in one of Cersei's early chapters in AFfC (her fourth I think?) when the council convenes, she has a thought about an ulterior motive of Ser Balon's trip to Dorne—the rest of the council thinks he's simply bringing "Gregor's" skull to Doran. That's all I remember from the Lannister side, and she doesn't confirm it so much as imply it.

At the very end, after Varys has shot Kevan, why do Varys' little birds brandish daggers? Are they intended for Kevan? Varys says that he wants suspicion in court over who is responsible for Kevan's death so, to me, having his little birds finish the job (multiple stab wounds as well as a crossbow in the stomach) seems a bit sloppy.

Why was Theon still a starvling even after getting out of the dungeon? I realize eating was difficult for him, but considering the fact that he ate live rats, he would plump himself up a little when given the chance. Once at Winterfell he wasn't deprived of food.

Not sure if anyone replied to this yet but I believe the reason he didn't eat much was because his teeth were so badly damaged that eating was extremely painful.

At the very end, after Varys has shot Kevan, why do Varys' little birds brandish daggers? Are they intended for Kevan? Varys says that he wants suspicion in court over who is responsible for Kevan's death so, to me, having his little birds finish the job (multiple stab wounds as well as a crossbow in the stomach) seems a bit sloppy.

Maybe it's a bit sloppy. But it's also pretty cool in terms of plot. The reader finally finds out who Varys' little birds are, and how he knows everything all the time. Because to traverse the walls of King's Landing, one would have to be small and child-sized

Additionally, the small stature will wreck havoc on Cersei's state of mind. She'll be sure it was Tyrion's work, that is if she thinks about the entrance wounds and

I have a question about something Melisandre says about Jon:

He knew better than to come to Melisandre’s chambers like a supplicant, insisting she come to him instead should she have need of words with him. And oft as not, when she did come, he would keep her waiting or refuse to see her. That much, at least, was shrewd.

I can't remember any instance of Jon doing this in in any of his POVs. Does anyone remember any instance of Jon ever intentionally keeping Melisandre waiting, or refusing to speak with her when she was outside asking to talk to him? The way she talks about it, it sounds like something she thinks he's done quite often. Do we have evidence that he's actually been doing this, or is it possible Mel's actually been given the run-around on multiple occasions by the stewards around Jon?

I have a question about something Melisandre says about Jon:

I can't remember any instance of Jon doing this in in any of his POVs. Does anyone remember any instance of Jon ever intentionally keeping Melisandre waiting, or refusing to speak with her when she was outside asking to talk to him? The way she talks about it, it sounds like something she thinks he's done quite often. Do we have evidence that he's actually been doing this, or is it possible Mel's actually been given the run-around on multiple occasions by the stewards around Jon?

I don't think its clear.

But I think this is probably accurate. Its just normal day to day business that we don't see on screen much because its not important to the story. Jon doesn't want much to do with Mel and certainly doesn't want to be seen as being subservient to her, politically or personally. So he makes her come to him as LC, and keeps her waiting while he does other things as necessary. Fairly standard politics of power, except that it is particularly important in the delicate situation he is in vis a vis the NW role and history, Stannis' demands, Mel's religious attutudes and the balance of power at the wall right now.

In regards to Davos's quest for Rickon. When (and I am assuming he will get Rickon otherwise it will be a massive waste of pages for it to not move the plot forward) he finds him and takes him back to Mandlery and/or Stannis, how can Davos show himself as being alive? Or do you think Manderly will have already played his loyal to Stannis move prior?

AND, does anyone else remember Wex from the previous books? I don't have any books handy, references please.

Archived