A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

Are we sure that Skagos IS the right place for Davos to look for Rick Stark? I re-read aCoK and they say absolutely nothing about where they're headed. Just north on the King's road...So how does Wex know exactly where they're headed?

He doesn't. Frankly, this is quite possibly a wild goose chase.

He doesn't. Frankly, this is quite possibly a wild goose chase.

Thanks! Yeah, people speak of it as a sure thing and i was just wondering how that could be...

This was becuase elsewhere I had proffered the idea that the tWoW prologue could be Osha the Wildling and a possible encounter with the Others south of the wall. And people pointed out that that was not possible cuz they were on Skagos..

Thanks! Yeah, people speak of it as a sure thing and i was just wondering how that could be...

This was becuase elsewhere I had proffered the idea that the tWoW prologue could be Osha the Wildling and a possible encounter with the Others south of the wall. And people pointed out that that was not possible cuz they were on Skagos..

People think Rickon is on Skaagos for two reasons:

1) Davos mentions that where he's going, they eat human flesh. If you re-read AFFC and ADWD, you'll find numerous mentions of cannibalism being a common practice on Skaagos.

2) In one of Bran's dreams in ADWD, he sees Shaddydog get injured by a goat's "long horn." Many people theorize that this goat is actually a unicorn (single-horned goats being one of possible depictions of unicorns), and so far Skaagos is the only place where unicorns are rumored to live.

So basically, combine the cannibal clues with the unicorn clues, and there's really only one place Rickon could be.

People think Rickon is on Skaagos for two reasons:

1) Davos mentions that where he's going, they eat human flesh. If you re-read AFFC and ADWD, you'll find numerous mentions of cannibalism being a common practice on Skaagos.

2) In one of Bran's dreams in ADWD, he sees Shaddydog get injured by a goat's "long horn." Many people theorize that this goat is actually a unicorn (single-horned goats being one of possible depictions of unicorns), and so far Skaagos is the only place where unicorns are rumored to live.

So basically, combine the cannibal clues with the unicorn clues, and there's really only one place Rickon could be.

Thanks for this! Still, question remains, how does WEx claim to know of it. (Davos' info is from Wex)...

how did the mother and pup direwolves even GET south of the wall? or did they just appear as if conjured, having been roaming unseen through the woods of winterfell for decades?

I've asked myself this same question since AGoT. I could only come with the hypothesis that maybe, they simply mutated from regular wolves around the northern mountains, and there they appear. A second possibility would be that there are tunnels connecting certain caves North of the Wall to those south, and the direwolf might have passed through one of those and be guided near Winterfell by whatever magic started to resurface in Westeros. We know the Wall's magic prevent Others from passing underneath it, but it doesn't have any effects on direwolves.

I've asked myself this same question since AGoT. I could only come with the hypothesis that maybe, they simply mutated from regular wolves around the northern mountains, and there they appear. A second possibility would be that there are tunnels connecting certain caves North of the Wall to those south, and the direwolf might have passed through one of those and be guided near Winterfell by whatever magic started to resurface in Westeros. We know the Wall's magic prevent Others from passing underneath it, but it doesn't have any effects on direwolves.

You can bypass the Wall in the west. It is rough terrain but it is doable for animals - and for humans. Small parties of wildlings are known to get south of the wall by this route. If people can do it I suppose a direwolf can do it.

I don't think the mother Direwolf "mutated", from a normal wolf at al.

The caves that Ygritte tells Jon about, in ASoS, the ones with "Grendals children" in them, those are a good possibility. The story goes that the caves lead from north of the Wall, to the south side....mayhaps that's how mommy Direwolf got past the Wall

I personally always assumed that the mother Direwolf swam around the Wall, at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. That's how a lot of raiders get past the Wall. It wouldn't be that hard, or long of a swim, for a Direwolf, so I have always believed that's how she got past the Wall

Thanks for this! Still, question remains, how does WEx claim to know of it. (Davos' info is from Wex)...

In ADwD, Wex claimed to have followed Rickon and Osha, apparently long enough to know they went to Skaggos.

Some people don't trust the information given by Wex, because they don't know how Wex would have followed Rickon, Osha, and Shaggy Dog, without Shaggy and or Osha, knowing that Wex was following him. Wex would of needed to be close enough to not lose them, and most people believe that Shaggy Dog would have smelled Wex, had Wex actually been close enough to know that they went to Skaggos.

Side note, It was Jon having a dream through Ghost in ADwD, it's Jon's first POV chapter, that's when we read about Shaggy Dog, fighting the unicorn.

" A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother, as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat. Washing the blood from his side, where the goats long horn had raked him."

The clues are, "enormous goat" and "long horn"

These clues suggest something bigger than a normal goat, and something with ONE' long horn.

someone please tell me...is uncle Benjen ever going to come back??

Spoiler for ADWD

In this book he has not returned, neither is he confirmed dead. I suspect we may get some information about what became of him in the following books

someone please tell me...is uncle Benjen ever going to come back??

You are probably aware of the Benjen=Coldhands theory.

But in the Bran chapter in ADWD where they approach BR's cave,Coldhand' kills the elk "and murmured a blessing in some strange tongue as he slit it's throat".

Point being, would even an undead Benjen be speaking in a foreign language?

Ideas welcome.

You are probably aware of the Benjen=Coldhands theory.

But in the Bran chapter in ADWD where they approach BR's cave,Coldhand' kills the elk "and murmured a blessing in some strange tongue as he slit it's throat".

Point being, would even an undead Benjen be speaking in a foreign language?

Ideas welcome.

Magic works miracles! Thing is, in a series where characters come back from the dead and shadows kill people, is it that hard to believe he could have magically learned a different language when brought back to life/transformed into whatever he might have become?

Magic works miracles! Thing is, in a series where characters come back from the dead and shadows kill people, is it that hard to believe he could have magically learned a different language when brought back to life/transformed into whatever he might have become?

I have to go with this.Because my latest theory is that the Others are human souls icified.

And they do not speak the Common Tongue.

I always felt that when Coldhands tells Bran, "I am your monster Brandon Stark"(or something like that), he said it because Bloodraven turned him into a "good wight" after Benjen died, for the purpose of helping Bran get to the cave. And I believe Coldhands says I'm your monster, because he is Bran's uncle, who would have become a normal "bad wight", had Bloodraven not changed him, that way he could help Bran (instead of wanting to kill Bran, like a normal wight would)

I always felt that when Coldhands tells Bran, "I am your monster Brandon Stark"(or something like that), he said it because Bloodraven turned him into a "good wight" after Benjen died, for the purpose of helping Bran get to the cave. And I believe Coldhands says I'm your monster, because he is Bran's uncle, who would have become a normal "bad wight", had Bloodraven not changed him, that way he could help Bran (instead of wanting to kill Bran, like a normal wight would)

That's the prevailing theory.But BR could have nice wightified anyone,the only qualification needed- being dead.

Waymar Royce for example.Devil's advocating here.

Archived