A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

Knighthood for Northerners is rare. Ser Jorah Mormont got his knighthood from the Greyjoy Rebellion.

Can the same be said for Ser Rodrik Cassel, Ser Helman Tallhart and Ser Donnel Locke?

That seems a reasonable explanation. They could however also be someof the few seven followers in the North. Not especially likely with Rodrik and Tallhart, but quite possible with Donnel Locke, as there is another knight in his family too: Ser Mallador Locke of the Night's Watch. Maybe House Locke worships the Seven?

About the ser-making: the Faith seems to have claimed it.

Where the Faith has a strong power base, as in Kings Landing, they will want that their conditions will be met. They obviously find that a knight has to be a follower of the Faith, but outside the capital the procedure could be met with other conditions.

We know a knight can make a knight, like when Beric Dondarrion makes knights of his followers.

Maybe some northern knights were made by other northern knights. Or the cases we know of were lads who squired for southern knights.

What are the sample chapters for WOW that have already been presented?

I only read the one in GRRM site now

Theon chapter

Where can I find others? (if there are others...)

I think it's just the Theon chapter on the site and the Arianne chapter. The Arianne chapter was, I believe, read aloud and then paraphrased for fans, and has not actually been released in its entirety.

When Illyrio and Tyrion are on their way to the Rhoyne, the story of Hugor of the Hill is recalled by Tyrion as part of the canon of the Faith of the Seven. Later aboard the Shy Maid, Tyrion claims to be "Hugor Hill". Nobody aboard reacts, not even the septa. Should we understand that everybody aboard is ignorant about the Holy Scripture? Perhaps I expect too much outrage/amusement at the blasphemy.

When Illyrio and Tyrion are on their way to the Rhoyne, the story of Hugor of the Hill is recalled by Tyrion as part of the canon of the Faith of the Seven. Later aboard the Shy Maid, Tyrion claims to be "Hugor Hill". Nobody aboard reacts, not even the septa. Should we understand that everybody aboard is ignorant about the Holy Scripture? Perhaps I expect too much outrage/amusement at the blasphemy.

Since everyone there was hiding secrets, I don't think they found it tat odd that Tyrion was giving a false name (and yes, I think at least Lemore and the Halfmaester knew what he was talking about).

Since everyone there was hiding secrets, I don't think they found it tat odd that Tyrion was giving a false name (and yes, I think at least Lemore and the Halfmaester knew what he was talking about).

Yes, it would be hard to imagine they would miss it. In fact, the Halfmaester not only definitely notices, but even comments: After declaring his assumed name, Tyrion is asked whether "he's a little bastard or a little king" (Hill is the Westerlands' bastard name; Hugor of the Hills was the famous king who plays a major role in the legends of the seven). He quips about a little and the Halfmaester proceeds to test his education rather than further discuss Tyrion's funny name, but he did mention it.

Yes, it would be hard to imagine they would miss it. In fact, the Halfmaester not only definitely notices, but even comments: After declaring his assumed name, Tyrion is asked whether "he's a little bastard or a little king" (Hill is the Westerlands' bastard name; Hugor of the Hills was the famous king who plays a major role in the legends of the seven). He quips about a little and the Halfmaester proceeds to test his education rather than further discuss Tyrion's funny name, but he did mention it.

Thanks. I accept that. The meaning of the answer of the Halfmaester was not entirely clear to me. But no sign of any reaction from the septa (who usually chides Tyrion for his minor blasphemies).

Thanks. I accept that. The meaning of the answer of the Halfmaester was not entirely clear to me. But no sign of any reaction from the septa (who usually chides Tyrion for his minor blasphemies).

Well, there's always the possibility she's not a real septa, maybe not even that knowledgeable about the Faith. Think about the Ashara Dayne = Lemore theories :laugh:

http://www.westeros....SSM/Entry/1372/ This tells me 1 of 2 things about syrio, either george himself doesn't know if syrio is alive or dead, or he has some greater role to play later on in the story, and doesn't want to spoil it for people when syrio comes back.

With Trant armed and armored in steel and Syrio essentially wearing a t-shirt holding half a wooden sword, "draw your own conclusion" could easily have meant "what do you think?" Yes, Syrio was once the first sword of Braavos, and Trant might not have been as good a swordsman as some of the others in the Kingsguard, but one would think that Robert and Barristan would not just give a white cloak to any incompetent fool. Trant must be at least semi-skilled at arms, enough to best an unarmed opponent.

If Syrio escaped, Trant wouldn't be so calm talking about it to Cersei. Cersei would have found out sooner or later and Trant would have been in serious shit.

Arya running away and being 'lost' alone when all the retainers are dead is an annoying little mystery but politically best kept silent and forgotten.

Arya escaping with a loyal retainer who beat off a KG and half a dozen Lannister guardsmen with a training sword is a big deal indeed and much would have been made of it, demanding Arya be found before she can escape KL.

On her own, Arya is a lost little girl with no expected survival prospects. No one would consider that she could make it back to Stark lines so she is just a 'lost' playing piece. But Arya with such a resourceful and capable retainer? That's a piece that needs to be dealt with.

There is no way Syrio escaped Trant. If he did there would have been more about it. It's too important politically to be ignored.

And this.

With Trant armed and armored in steel and Syrio essentially wearing a t-shirt holding half a wooden sword, "draw your own conclusion" could easily have meant "what do you think?" Yes, Syrio was once the first sword of Braavos, and Trant might not have been as good a swordsman as some of the others in the Kingsguard, but one would think that Robert and Barristan would not just give a white cloak to any incompetent fool. Trant must be at least semi-skilled at arms, enough to best an unarmed opponent.

And this.

I don't agree, because nobody knew who Syrio was. I don't think Cersei sent Trant down there to get Syrio. She sent him to get Arya, and there's no need to mention Syrio. Just, "she was already gone--must've been smuggled out by some servants." Something like that. The argument that telling about Syrio would get all the knights into trouble and be a huge deal is actually a good argument for them all just keeping their mouths shut, in that "it never happened" sort of way.

Why was Theon still a starvling even after getting out of the dungeon? I realize eating was difficult for him, but considering the fact that he ate live rats, he would plump himself up a little when given the chance. Once at Winterfell he wasn't deprived of food.

According to several websites (which I reached through google, it takes several months to recover from starvation. The general consensus was 3 months, but I saw as high as 6 months. Since it isn't that far from the Dreadfort to Winterfell, I highly doubt that it took them that long to get Jeyne Poole and go to Winterfell for the wedding. He was probably well on the way to recovery, but he still probably LOOKED like a "starvling".

According to several websites (which I reached through google, it takes several months to recover from starvation. The general consensus was 3 months, but I saw as high as 6 months. Since it isn't that far from the Dreadfort to Winterfell, I highly doubt that it took them that long to get Jeyne Poole and go to Winterfell for the wedding. He was probably well on the way to recovery, but he still probably LOOKED like a "starvling".

Not only that, but didn't most of his teeth fall?

I don't agree, because nobody knew who Syrio was. I don't think Cersei sent Trant down there to get Syrio. She sent him to get Arya, and there's no need to mention Syrio. Just, "she was already gone--must've been smuggled out by some servants." Something like that. The argument that telling about Syrio would get all the knights into trouble and be a huge deal is actually a good argument for them all just keeping their mouths shut, in that "it never happened" sort of way.

That argument totally fails when you look at it logically. Go to the logistics (always, when you need accuracy). An account must be made of (or by) those guardsmen who were killed or disabled. Someone somewhere is going to have to report to a senior, who is going to report to their senior and so on up the chain. There is no 'keep your mouths shut and pretend it never happened' possibility here.

But better go to appropriate threads (which are myriad) to argue this further. This is not the place.

Is Arya the God of Many Faces?

Sounds like a stupid question i know... but do the others at the House of Black and White actually change their faces in the same way she can? Both Jaquen and the Kindly man use glamours... Mel uses Glamours (i know she's not related) ... Varys uses mummers tricks such as smell and appearance... but only Arya seems to have worn a completely different face that i can recall... are we meant to assume that Arya is not special and that the faceless men use this trick as standard... or is Arya unique? The Faceless Men talk about how all men must die and noone lives forever... but Arya could ... she still has her second life in her wolf and after that she can live in the trees and the lakes and the earth... is that why they rushed her through the training process... because they are in desperate need of a real faceless man?

Archived