A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

But apparently this didn't stop him from eating rats. I'm still wondering about the logic of that.

but by then he was starving. I don't think he really chewed anything when we meet him as Reek.

Is Arya the God of Many Faces?

Sounds like a stupid question i know... but do the others at the House of Black and White actually change their faces in the same way she can? Both Jaquen and the Kindly man use glamours... Mel uses Glamours (i know she's not related) ... Varys uses mummers tricks such as smell and appearance... but only Arya seems to have worn a completely different face that i can recall... are we meant to assume that Arya is not special and that the faceless men use this trick as standard... or is Arya unique? The Faceless Men talk about how all men must die and noone lives forever... but Arya could ... she still has her second life in her wolf and after that she can live in the trees and the lakes and the earth... is that why they rushed her through the training process... because they are in desperate need of a real faceless man?

Well, as a Stark, and we know Starks have magical abilities, it's not out of the realm of possibilities, but I do think her changing her face was simply a "mummer's trick".

But apparently this didn't stop him from eating rats. I'm still wondering about the logic of that.

He still had enough teeth, apparently. If you have to have it, here's a quote from the book:

Blood ran from the corners of his mouth as he nibbled at the rat with what remained of his teeth, trying to bolt down as much of the warm flesh as he could before the cell was opened.
Gore galore.

If Cersi is found guilty, who does Casterly Rock belong to?

If she's found guilty and punished in a way that isn't compatible with staying Lady of the Rock (e.g. if she would be executed), the line for the Rock would continue with Tommen, Myrcella, Martyn Lannister, Janei Lannister, Tywin Frey, Wilem Frey, Lyonel Frey, Red Walder Frey.

If something were to happen to remove Jaime from the Kingsguard, he would trump even Cersei's claim and if Lancel would be removed from the Warrior's Sons somehow, he'd trump Martyn. If Tyrek Lannister would turn up again (at the moment he's only missing) he'd trump the Freys, as would Gerion.

Of course, it is plausible that if the heir to the Rock were King Tommen that he'd bestow the Rock on some other member of his family and certainly many of those mentioned here are so young that they would not rule the Rock themselves immediately.

If Cersi is found guilty, who does Casterly Rock belong to?

Tyrion is technically the rightful lord of Casterly Rock regardless of Cercei, since Jaime is ineligible because of the Kingsguard and a son has precedence over a daughter in the line of succession (except in Dorne). If Tyrion were somehow illegitimized or killed and Cercei executed for high treason, it would go to...

Kevan would have been next in line, but he's dead now.

Lancel forswore his lands and title and joined the faith, so I guess he's out too.

Willem, Kevan's 2nd son was killed by Karstark at Riverrun.

So it would go to Martyn, Kevan's 3rd son.

If she's found guilty and punished in a way that isn't compatible with staying Lady of the Rock (e.g. if she would be executed), the line for the Rock would continue with Tommen, Myrcella, Martyn Lannister, Janei Lannister, Tywin Frey, Wilem Frey, Lyonel Frey, Red Walder Frey.

If something were to happen to remove Jaime from the Kingsguard, he would trump even Cersei's claim and if Lancel would be removed from the Warrior's Sons somehow, he'd trump Martyn. If Tyrek Lannister would turn up again (at the moment he's only missing) he'd trump the Freys, as would Gerion.

Of course, it is plausible that if the heir to the Rock were King Tommen that he'd bestow the Rock on some other member of his family and certainly many of those mentioned here are so young that they would not rule the Rock themselves immediately.

I was under the impression that a king/queen cannot simultaneously be the lord/lady of a lesser standing. For example, Doran Martell had orginially planned for Quentyn to succeed him as Prince of Sunspear because if everything had gone as planned, Arienne would have been Queen to the Seven Kingdoms, making her ineligible to also be the Princess of one of the kingdoms.

Same with the Baratheons. When Robert became king, he was no longer Lord of Stormlands.

If that is correct then it would rule Tommen out, but I guess Myrcella is in line before Martyn.

I was under the impression that a king/queen cannot simultaneously be the lord/lady of a lesser standing.

That may well be the case, and even if it isn't an iron law than it probably is at least a strong custom. However I was more under the impression that the king isn't removed from the list of possibilities of the lesser holding but that it does go to him and he then passes it on. Thus Robert gave Storm's End to Renly -- had he simply been removed, it would have passed to Stannis (and while Stannis grumbles that Robert should have given him Storm's End, he doesn't grumble that it wasn't Robert's to give in the first place).

In any case and all quibbling aside, I agree with you that it is extremely unlikely that Tommen will ever rule as lawful Lord of Casterly Rock. (Pity.)

Actually, all castle and lands of the kingdom belong to the King, and the King can remove any family at all times (of course this would probably lead to war with that family, and If a King messes with too much great family he probably will be facing a great rebellion soon.)

And the King give his seats to others to rule because he can´t rule then all (he is no one ring...) So, it is not like a King/Queen cannot maintain his old seat is just like he/she have to rule one seat already so he/she passes it along to another.

Tyrion was found guilty of regicide and condemed. His claims, titles, wealth, and life are forfeit as long as the Lannister/Tyrell alliance remains in power. Likewise, Cersei is the "rightful" Lady of Casterly Rock as long as she remains in power. If Jaime left the Kingsguard, he would still not be in the line of succession because he abandoned all claims and titles when he took his vows. That being said, the King could restore his rights. If Tyrion returned, he would be killed. Tommen and Myrcella follow Cersei - again - as long as she remains in power. And if Tommen inherited he would likely pass the holding on to his sister. She would probably be expected to marry a Lannister cousin, if that were to happen.

In any case, a discussion of Lannister succession already has a thread of its own and is outside the scope of the "small question" thread.

Quentyn meets the Windblown secretly in Meereen:

Quentyn saw no sign of the men they had come to meet. Then a door he had not seen before swung open, and an old woman emerged, a shriveled thing in a dark red tokar fringed with tiny golden skulls. Her skin was white as mare’s milk, her hair so thin that he could see the scalp beneath. “Dorne,” she said, “I be Zahrina. Purple Lotus. Go down here, you find them.” She held the door and gestured them through.

We know from Connington's chapters that Golden Skulls are characteristic of the Golden Company. Any meaning to this?

Quentyn meets the Windblown secretly in Meereen:

(...)

We know from Connington's chapters that Golden Skulls are characteristic of the Golden Company. Any meaning to this?

This character intrigued me to, I'd really like to know if she's of any significance. During Tyrion's auction, it's implied she owns cheap slave fighters (the exact wording is "Cheap fighters, hers. Meat for heroes. Your friend dead soon.”)

This character intrigued me to, I'd really like to know if she's of any significance. During Tyrion's auction, it's implied she owns cheap slave fighters (the exact wording is "Cheap fighters, hers. Meat for heroes. Your friend dead soon.”)

Ah! I haven't even realized that it's the same character. Thank you. But I still don't now what to make of the golden skulls.

Will winter and the others come to essos or is that just a westeros thing?

I think that's not explicitly mentioned in the books anywhere, but most fans (including me) assume that the long winter did/will affect the whole ASOIAF world, and not just Westeros. How badly each place will be affected is another matter, though. Check out this thread about this subject.

I think that's not explicitly mentioned in the books anywhere, but most fans (including me) assume that the long winter did/will affect the whole ASOIAF world, and not just Westeros. How badly each place will be affected is another matter, though. Check out this thread about this subject.

Thanks

Is it mentioned in any of the books that a dragon crossed the Wall? Queen Alysanne visited the Wall on her dragon Silverwing, but did she cross it?

It's not mentioned, IIRC. There's this bit from AFfC, but it's just Sam thinking...

"There were dragons here two hundred years ago, Sam found himself thinking, as he watched the cage making a slow descent. They would just have flown to the top of the Wall. Queen Alysanne had visited Castle Black on her dragon, and Jaehaerys, her king, had come after her on his own."

Archived