What do you think the title means?

Knepah

To me the title may refer to the fact that the entire series is becoming bleak - The Others are rising fast, Jon Snow is (possibly) assassinated, There is a war raging in Meereen, winter is fast approaching for all of Westeros (weather-wise), civil war is brewing again with Aegon now rising and the Tyrell's and Lannister's obviously at eachother's throats - little good will happen in this book and to be honest I'm expecting a major hero death in the next book (a Stark, Theon, Ser Barriston, Jorah Mormont, Loras Tyrell in a gruesome way possibly)

some really good interpretations everyone! one of the last books was supposed to be titled A Time For Wolves, so its possible that The Winds of Winter is simply a slightly more vague way of referring to a resurgence in the north without it being too spoilerish. thats what im hoping, anyway.

some really good interpretations everyone! one of the last books was supposed to be titled A Time For Wolves, so its possible that The Winds of Winter is simply a slightly more vague way of referring to a resurgence in the north without it being too spoilerish. thats what im hoping, anyway.

No, dream of springwas the replacement for time for wolves, winds of witner was always separate

No, dream of springwas the replacement for time for wolves, winds of witner was always separate

what i meant to say was that either the winds of winter or a dream of spring was supposed to be titled a time for wolves. i didnt mean that affc or adwd was supposed to be titled that. correct me if im wrong, but i believe that was when he still thought it would be a five book series and that dance would be the fourth and a time for wolves would be the fifth and final book.

what i meant to say was that either the winds of winter or a dream of spring was supposed to be titled a time for wolves. i didnt mean that affc or adwd was supposed to be titled that. correct me if im wrong, but i believe that was when he still thought it would be a five book series and that dance would be the fourth and a time for wolves would be the fifth and final book.

He always had the title The Winds of Winter even when it was supposed to be a trilogy .

He always had the title The Winds of Winter even when it was supposed to be a trilogy .

No, he actually didn't.

The titles were

• A Game Of Thrones" (supposed to end with the RW --> likely became AGOT + Clash + Storm)
  • A Dance With Dragons (supposed to end with Dany landing in Westeros ---> Feast, Dance + a bit of "Winds", because I'm expecting Dany to land in Westeros way before the books ends, or she wouldn't have enough time to do what she has to in ADOS)
  • A Time For The Wolves (---> Winds and ADOS)

No, he actually didn't.

The titles were

• A Game Of Thrones" (supposed to end with the RW --> likely became AGOT + Clash + Storm)
  • A Dance With Dragons (supposed to end with Dany landing in Westeros ---> Feast, Dance + a bit of "Winds", because I'm expecting Dany to land in Westeros way before the books ends, or she wouldn't have enough time to do what she has to in ADOS)

thats correct.

and i believe he speculated that the series would run to five books while he was writing storm of swords, with the final two volumes being a dance with dragons and a time for wolves.

No, he actually didn't.

The titles were

Sorry to dissapoint you , but it wasn't like that . Look it up , it was AGOT, ACOK and TWOW, the last book

When Legends was published in early 1998, the introduction noted that A Song of Ice and Fire was now a six-book series consisting of A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Dance with Dragons, The Winds of Winter and A Time For Wolves.

that is a quote from the factual history of a song of ice and fire forum. you were right that winds of winter was a title since at least 1998, but im pretty sure when it was still a trilogy, the titles were agot, adwd, and atfw.

When Legends was published in early 1998, the introduction noted that A Song of Ice and Fire was now a six-book series consisting of A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Dance with Dragons, The Winds of Winter and A Time For Wolves.

that is a quote from the factual history of a song of ice and fire forum. you were right that winds of winter was a title since at least 1998, but im pretty sure when it was still a trilogy, the titles were agot, adwd, and atfw.

Huh, that's weird, I could of swore that it I read in Wikipedia that the title was there since it was a trilogy .

Just finished "Dance" & new to this site, so forgive me, but "Jon AWOL"?? I thought he was "assassinated" by his fellow Watch brothers when he decided to march south to aid Stannis. Did I miss something?

i'm new too, but i can't imagine that Jon was really assassinated in that mutiny ... i literally shut the book--more like my nook--an hour ago and am still sat here reeling. i will be absolutely devastated if jon snow dies. DEVASTATED!!!

The original HC of the first had it listed as a trilogy and it went A Game of Thrones, A Dance of Dragons, The Winds of Winter. Not that I have the original HC but that's how I always saw it listed.

I could be wrong, but didn't Martin say that when he was half way finished AGOT he knew it would be impossible to make the series a trilogy? I though the first book was supposed to end with the Red Wedding? So how could the first edition of A Game of Thrones list it as a trilogy when that idea had already been scrapped?

I could be wrong, but didn't Martin say that when he was half way finished AGOT he knew it would be impossible to make the series a trilogy? I though the first book was supposed to end with the Red Wedding? So how could the first edition of A Game of Thrones list it as a trilogy when that idea had already been scrapped?

that was my impression as well. when he first started writing the series he imagined it as a trilogy, but when he realized a game of thrones was becoming way too long he published it where he did and was already well into a clash of kings. i think he was already aware that it would require at least five books by that point. of course i cant back this up... just remember hearing that while reading about the writing process somewhere.

that was my impression as well. when he first started writing the series he imagined it as a trilogy, but when he realized a game of thrones was becoming way too long he published it where he did and was already well into a clash of kings. i think he was already aware that it would require at least five books by that point. of course i cant back this up... just remember hearing that while reading about the writing process somewhere.

Yea thats why I heard to, I mean at the time Game of Thrones ends, we haven't even seen half the stuff that George intended to happen in the first book. We hadn't even met Stannis or Melissandre or Mance Rayder, even though they had been talked about... the dragons had just been hatched, Bran hadn't even discovered his warging talent, the war of the five kings hasn't taken place, the red wedding hadn't happend etc.

That is why I consider A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords to be "Part I" of the series, then Feast and Dance are "Part II" and hopefully, Winds of Winter a A Dream of Spring will be "Part III"

Yea thats why I heard to, I mean at the time Game of Thrones ends, we haven't even seen half the stuff that George intended to happen in the first book. We hadn't even met Stannis or Melissandre or Mance Rayder, even though they had been talked about... the dragons had just been hatched, Bran hadn't even discovered his warging talent, the war of the five kings hasn't taken place, the red wedding hadn't happend etc.

That is why I consider A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords to be "Part I" of the series, then Feast and Dance are "Part II" and hopefully, Winds of Winter a A Dream of Spring will be "Part III"

thats how i see it too. and my guess is that winds of winter and dream of spring will need to be really long books to wrap everything up. as others have stated on this site, i think its quite possible there will be three more books left.

Archived