What do you think the title means?

Knepah

A Dance with Dragons was essentually about the new Blackfyre uprising through Aegon (the 'Imposter"/Young Griff) which was preceded by the original Dance of Dragons, the name for the Blackfyre rebellions. the winds of Winter probably refers to the kingdom of Winter wich was ruled by the Starks. I would be very dissapointed if this next book is not heavily based on ALL of the remaining Stark kids and the North in general.

A Dance with Dragons was essentually about the new Blackfyre uprising through Aegon (the 'Imposter"/Young Griff) which was preceded by the original Dance of Dragons, the name for the Blackfyre rebellions.

The original Dance with Dragons was a war of Succession between Rhaenyra and an Aegon, a younger son from a second marriage of Viserys I. Rhaenyra was the chosen heir and the elder but Aegon was male causing a civil war over who should inherit the throne. Both children were legitimate and the situation is very similar to Dany and Aegon if history repeats itself. The title works against the blackfyre theory

Or that as we saw in the epilogue of ADWD the start of winter has come and with the cold winds of winter from the north comes the others.

This. I honestly think it rather obvious. Plus as a secondary meaning maybe an uptake in the Starks' lot, what with all of the living ones south of the Wall about to make a major showing again.

As for ADwD: Admittedly I expected more "action", but all the Targ-related plots playing almost all the major roles in the book fits well enough.

• 1 month later...

What I find quite interesting is how the last words of the titles can be divided

...Thrones

...Kings

...Swords

(Related to war/power) They were supposed to be the first book of the trilogy

...Crows

...Dragons

(Beasts/ Animals) Second book in the original plan

...Winter

...Spring

(Seasons) Last book of the original planned trilogy

The title is most likely what everyone has been saying, the winter spreading across the world. And we should find out when it will truly reach the far south (Slavers bay) As I recall,In Valyrya were the lands of always summer...

The title seems pretty straightforward. Its going to be cold. Its Winter. This is probably going to be the darkest single entry of the series before a Dream of Spring leads to some measure of victory over the forces of darkness.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about Song of Ice and Fire titles. The last few titles haven't been exactly all that indicative of their plots. Yeah, Game of Thrones had the Game of Thrones, the title was dropped elegantly. Clash of Kings had Kings Clashing. Storm of Swords definitely had a lot of swords storming. After that, Martin got less disciplined with his titles.

Feast for Crows? That was probably the least bloody book since the first one, the war was over. I thought it might reference the Three-Eyed Crow, it doesn't. Did Feast for Crows even have a plot, come to think of it?

Dance With Dragons? Yeah, the dragons were the central plot point... but only in Meereen, certainly not the rest of the world. Even then, the dragons didn't play that big of a role, they spent most of the book locked away. You'd think there would be some scene where the dragons are particularly triumphant or do battle or fight each other or something. Not really. The big fight scene doesn't even happen. There is no dance with dragons in Dance With Dragons. Title is a lie.

I have a bad feeling Winds of Winter is going to be a lot warmer than we think.

The North will be the main focal point of this book, along with plenty from around the World to advance things. The others will attack, maybe attack just as Jon is receiving his last stab before unconsciousness. Bran will be involved heavily most likely. i do hope Rickon/Davos story is advanced if not fully resolved and in the next phase.

Yeah, definitely will be a "cold" segment - a.k.a The Others would finally be at full force. And maybe the glory days of certain Houses will fall. We already have House Lannister, a group dripping with warmth, shinyness and gold, pretty much completely collapse.

And a possible Stark comeback in one shape or form. If The Others are making a significant appearance, then Bran would surely be involved. Arya will probably have more plot development regarding her training. Jon's status will all wildly break out everywhere as the NW faces strife, and where his fate will continue to lead if there is one remaining. And, who knows, maybe Rickon will show up too? And direwolves might officially have a role to play, especially Nymeria who has been nothing more than a faint mention.

Then you will also have Sansa making her return as a noblewoman. Since she had a break in ADWD, there will likely be a return for her for sure.

Otherwise though, feel like it will be more Others related somehow.

Or, maybe it will be all about Mr "I am of the night" flashypants. The plot will be entirely on him! That must be it. Welp, glad we solved the mystery of the ambigious title.

Archived