Such a tough read

7V3N

Brienne's story definitely becomes very interesting the moment she meets with Septon Meribald, everything before that, I agree, is a little pointless.

I, for one, loved the Iron Islands chapters. What a way to introduce a bunch of new characters.

The Dorne chapters seemed a little pointless and all but the last one pretty much amount to nothing. I did however like the new location and characters. The revelation and the very last line of Arianne's last chapter is one of the best in the series, however. Those chapters are very important I think as the Martells are going to play a crucial role in the events to come.

Jaime's story is good all throughout.

All Cersei chapters are great. Her last one is especially awesome.

Sansa chapters are a bit slow at the beginning but they pick up about halfway and Sansa becomes a really interesting character.

Sam chapters bored me, but pay attention to the very last chapter, lots of stuff going on there.

I liked the Arya chapters.

I just finished AFFC this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the different locations (Iron Islands, Dorne) to be interesting and felt that the book helped to further flesh out the world of AGOT.

With that said I do understand people's apprehension's over this books as the popular characters are merely mentioned and do not make an appearance. At times I felt that if the series was a movie, most of the parts of this book would end up in a Director's Cut version. In other words, you get scenes that may not be integral to the main story but are still enjoyable additions. That is not to say that important things do not happen in the book it is just that they are few compared to the previous three.

Off to start ADWD and revisit some old friends.

I'm about 200 pages into this one and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I guess knowing some of the major characters like Tyrion, Jon, Dany, etc. aren't featured as heavily ahead of reading this prepared me. I enjoy being introduced to the other parts of the realm and new characters. I think I could really like Dorne and Bravos. The Iron Islands? Eh, I don't know yet. It makes it interesting to think about how their stories will come together with the established ones. I don't mind "quieter" parts especially since I know it will be leading to something at some point. Maybe I'm different, after the frantic pacing of ASOS, it's a bit of a relief to just calm down a bit. Plus, it allows time to develop some of the other characters like Sam and watch them grow.

Do I wonder what's going on with Tyrion? Of course. Do I wonder what Dany's up to? Yes. Do I need Jon chapters to tell me what's he's doing as Lord Commander of the Wall? No, got what I needed from the first Sam chapter. I would like to know what is going on with Bran and Rickon, though.

To be honest, I too was bored with it for a long time... And it's not because many characters weren't there, but mostly because we got to see Brienne go look for Sansa in places that we know she isn't at. And you get this feeling that she is wasting her time... Also Jaime's chapters were not all that exciting at first and I couldn't stand the Ironborn...

But when you are actually done reading the book and when you connect all the dots you realize how great a book it is! :)

I had a two-week long break about a good third in. Too much Cersei, Brienne and the Isles, not enough Jaime, Dorne, Sam, Arya and Sansa for my taste. I just found some of it dull and pointless (especially, as mentioned previously in this thread, the Brienne chapters).

I have gotten back into reading it recently and I have been enjoying the read. I will admit, though, that I'm rushing through the book a little bit to get to A Dance with Dragons so that I can read about the characters I love most. Somehow George managed to put all of them in the fifth book (Jon, Bran, Tyrion, Dany). But I do believe that having a break for them has made me love other characters more then I otherwise would, namely the Martells and out lovely, witty, handless Kingslayer.

AFFC is definitely the hardest read of the first four books. It's the only book where I've found parts slightly tedious. The Brienne story, prior to arriving at the crossroads in, was very dull. In fact the only bits I actually was enthralled reading were the last 150 pages or so.

The Cersei POV and Jamie POV's were quite good, showing how they are slowly falling apart. In fact the Cersei POV was probably the best throughout the book.

Samwell wasn't fantastic, predictably bumping into Arya in Braavos, whose POV was also pretty uninteresting. Sansa was okay, didn't really do a lot, she still feels like Littlefingers pawn, which is kind of exciting. It was interesting both Arya and Sansa's chapters have changed name's, they have had to become different people to escape threats.

The Dorne and Ironborn chapters were well planned. It managed to show both the scenario's and progressing events, although you didn't really get any feelings for the characters, obviously there are things happening that are going to effect future events (Big revelation in the last Dorne chapter.)

I think the problem was for me that there were a few times when characters I didn't really feel passionately about, Brienne and Samwell for example, weren't doing much. There wasn't a lot going on in the middle of AFFC, where as there have been major developments throughout the past three books that have kept you hooked. I still loved the book, although it is not my favourite so far, and the last six or seven chapters were the ones where you couldn't put the book down. I just think things could have developed quicker earlier on.

This isn't the first thread to discuss this, i think most people feel the same way when starting AFFC. You may even continue to feel this way right until you finish the book, i didn't actually fully appreciate it until i sat back when i was finished and though about everything that happened in it. Is it my favourite of the series no, is it a good book hell yea.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine just picked up a lot. Probably about 60% through the book.

Arya is blind, Loras is dying, Jaime is at Riverrun, Aemon died and Sam is near Dorne, and Victarion is going for Dany.

A Feast For Crows is perfect, flawless and smooth. It is not his normal writing style as it doesn't do the emotional "herky jerky" of his other 4 books.

After all the steam in the "Act III" of SOS, there needed to be a time of settling down, and transition which this book was.

Loved Septon Meribald. . .. reminded me of the good preachers I have met in my life.

I just finished it! Took me just a week and I am very surprised. At first I was dreadding the almost 1000 pages without Jon, and every time his name appeared I would feel an unexpected joy. I really hate how certain characters react to his position as Lord Comander - the Tullys especially. And the plans bitch Cercei was making!!

I really liked the Jaime, Brienne and Sam chapters. I find myself rooting for certain events to happen but GRRM always takes things into another direction.

Sansa story is getting so interesting! Especially her last chapter. I almost got goosebumps reading the last sentence.

It was so difficult to read about the Iron Islands. I don't care who they chose to be their king, they are all equally hateful to me. I can't say I care much about the Dorne characters either, although Darkstar is really cool.

Love how much info about Rhaegar we got from Cercei.

• 2 years later...

I never found this book to be boring, everything was made in order to show us locations we haven't visited before. Detailed Riverlands, Dorne, Iron Islands, how King's Landing works (even more detailed than before), how big part of this world religion is, Braavos, Faceless Assassins, Vale... New characters were very interesting imho, I only wanted more of Doran, he is becoming one of my fav characters. And ofc how did I forget, we get to see Edmur and Blackfish after Red Weeding. I always thought Daenerys to be boring character, but now after last Dorne chapter it got interesting...I'll start reading ADWD today, I really enjoyed AFfC, you need to take it for what it is, story about aftermath...

Archived