The Martells

Knepah

On a somehow relevant note, do you think they'll go for British actors still? In the past, the show has gravitated towards actors with a natural English accent. Come to think of it, their casting calls may be affected by the accent they decide to give to Dorne.

Still haven't found the right Arianne Martell. Back in the day George invited Linda and to provide some views and notes on characters to Tom Meier for the Dark Sword ASoIaF miniature designs. Interestingly enough, Salma Hayek -- my image of Arianne Martell (look at her in <em>Ask the Dust</em> and shave some years [no shaving away from that gorgeous figure, OTOH; Hayek actually put on a bit of weight for the role, and all to the good]) -- was brought up by George in discussing a completely different character (I won't say which, but I'd bet no one would guess it).

The Green Grace? Taena of Myr? (or is she a bit too old to play her?)

Just sayin' stuff over here....

ya her acting is a little over the top, but she sure is pretty, and if she played Arianne then we might finally get a nude scene out of her

I love Nina Dobrev(she is gorgeous) but she is way too skinny and doesn't have the right look to play Arianne. Arianne is supposed to be quite buxom. I'd like to see someone a little more curvier for that role more similar to Salma Hayak circa From Dusk Till Dawn like Ran had mentioned. Nina Dobrev was always how I pictured Jeyne Westerling, but I can't see her on this show. I don't think she's a bad actress, but I just don't think she is on the same level with most of the actors on this show. Awhile back, someone mentioned her for Nymeria, and that's probably the only role I can probably imagine seeing her in, but its still a stretch for me.

Am I the only who thinks they are going to cast Quentyn as good-looking ala Ser Jorah? I have no idea who would make a good Quentyn.

ya her acting is a little over the top, but she sure is pretty, and if she played Arianne then we might finally get a nude scene out of her

Wow if thats all you care about then I hope for her sake she doesn't take the role. Thats beyond pathetic....

Yes shes pretty but I don't watch the show just for nude scenes of x and y.

On a somehow relevant note, do you think they'll go for British actors still? In the past, the show has gravitated towards actors with a natural English accent. Come to think of it, their casting calls may be affected by the accent they decide to give to Dorne.

Most likely. I mean they cast the qartheen with mostly caucasian british actors. The whitewashing of the cast with a couple black actors is really annoying. I really hope they go with established persian/middle eastern/mediterranean/latino actors for Dorne rather than british actors with good tans.

Am I the only who thinks they are going to cast Quentyn as good-looking ala Ser Jorah? I have no idea who would make a good Quentyn.

Might just be my cynicism, but I think Quentyn will be cut entirely by the time they get around to filming ADwD.

Doran -

1) John Rhys-Davies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0722636/ (very surprised no one has mentioned him)

2) Omar Sharif http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001725/

Oberyn -

1) Cliff Simon http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0800101/ (very close to the description, - the short hair)

2) Oded Fehr http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004912/

3) Assaad Bouab http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1492213/ (a bit young but looking, but could work)

Sand Snake -

Julia Voth - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2972478/ (I assume Nymeria)

I agree for Cliff Simon as Oberyn. Not the two others, they do not have the look. They have plain faces... (not talking about beauty here), they have nothing that jump to the eyes, unlike Cliff Simon who is one of the really few actors so far suggested by this board, who has the viper eyes!

aishwarya rai would have been perfect for Arianne or Nymeria, but with her recent weight gain mmm can you say ewwwww

I wouldn't exactly say eeew, that's a bit harsh but she doesn't really look like Arianne. Though really Arianne does need to be someone curvy, or even a bit plump, it's how she is in the books. But then they only allow skinny women in the acting business so...

I realize that I'm new here and that my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I have to get something off my chest.

If I have to read the name Oded Fehr in connection with the Red Viper of Dorne just one more time, my head will literally explode. I mean, I kinda like the guy, but he's a 6'1" hulk of a man and I will always think of him as that noble and rather tedious ... Bedouin doofus that he played in the Mummy movies. Oberyn Martell has to be a sly, wiry, cocky SOB.

Same goes for Naveen Andrews. I know that his character on Lost was kind of a badass (don't crucify me, but I lost track of what the heck was happening and therefore interest in Lost somewhere around the second or third season), but seriously, he looks far too friendly and harmless to do Oberyn any justice.

Yeah, great post, but it had to be said! ;)

Ok I just looked up Oded Fehr and now that I remember who he is I'm fully on board with him as an alternative choice for Oberyn.

But at the end of the day we're all just guessing and knowing HBO they will go in a completely random direction.

I'm just glad that Natalie Dormer is on the show as Maegery Tyrell. That was a stroke of genius in my opinion. Loved her on the The Tudors Anne Boelyn.

Ok I just looked up Oded Fehr and now that I remember who he is I'm fully on board with him as an alternative choice for Oberyn. But at the end of the day we're all just guessing and knowing HBO they will go in a completely random direction. I'm just glad that Natalie Dormer is on the show as Maegery Tyrell. That was a stroke of genius in my opinion. Loved her The Tudors Anne Boelyn.

*shakes head slowly and exhales a prolonged sigh*

I got the impression the Martells were a hybrid culture of French/Spanish.

There are many French who are dark, just as there are Spanish who are fair.

But, if I remember my history correctly, Martel was actually a French surname of the Uncle of Charlamaine.

*shakes head slowly and exhales a prolonged sigh*

And what exactly do you have against my opinion on Natalie Dormer? Other than shaking your head? She did an excellent job. She portrayed her as a beguiling woman who was able to seduce the King of England almost without any effort.

She's a great actress and good at subtlety......

There are many French who are dark, just as there are Spanish who are fair.

That is WHY I want to play Quentyn Martell ! =D

Yeah, it sounds childish I know, but damn, I'd love to !

• 3 weeks later...

Archived