Page proliferation

Crackclaw

Just wondering if there was a conscious effort to increase the page count and why? I ask this because I see there are all these pages that seem quite minor. eg. each ship of the Iron Fleet has a page saying "X was a ship of the Iron Fleet" and nothing else. (eg. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Woe ) There are also similar pages for ships that happened to be somewhere when someone else like Davos sailed into a harbour. (eg. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Horn_of_Plenty)

Is it worth having pages like that when there is no more info to be had and they just duplicate the info on a more informative page. Wouldn't it just be better just to have the page that is "The Iron Fleet" and they can have their captain next to them (if known)? In Wikipedia terms, then only the "notable" ships would have their own pages.

I don 't mean to pick on just the ship idea, but it exemplifies a tendency towards quantity rather than information.

Fair point. Such minimal articles may have some appeal at some point, since so much that looks minor eventually becomes relevant. But still, MediaWiki has fine search tools and anchor wikilink features, so those specific articles certainly aren't needed.

Most of the ship articles can probably be consolidated, since after all few ships go much beyond a name, a type of ship and having been used or at least seen a few times under very specific circunstances. Also, we end up with a lot of redundancy, with articles that say much the same thing with the names switched. It is more elegant to consolidate them until the time comes when their subjects acquire some notability or at least differentiation. For instance, the ships under construction in King's Landing may safely be integrated into a single article, and a single anchor-link supported article for the Iron Fleet longships is certainly reasonable as well. If nothing else, such an approach would help in giving due emphasis to whatever is not run of the mill.

Just wondering if there was a conscious effort to increase the page count and why? I ask this because I see there are all these pages that seem quite minor. eg. each ship of the Iron Fleet has a page saying "X was a ship of the Iron Fleet" and nothing else. (eg. http://awoiaf.wester...g/index.php/Woe ) There are also similar pages for ships that happened to be somewhere when someone else like Davos sailed into a harbour. (eg. http://awoiaf.wester.../Horn_of_Plenty)

Is it worth having pages like that when there is no more info to be had and they just duplicate the info on a more informative page. Wouldn't it just be better just to have the page that is "The Iron Fleet" and they can have their captain next to them (if known)? In Wikipedia terms, then only the "notable" ships would have their own pages.

I don 't mean to pick on just the ship idea, but it exemplifies a tendency towards quantity rather than information.

thank god, I am not the only one who think that, thou not about ships specifically(most of them already had articles and LuisDantas only continued on what seem to be our policy and did a very nice job with it, thou in my opinion few of the category's could be consolidated, like 'ships under construction' or 'Renamed ships')

I said as much about most of the dogs, cats, foods, inns etc one liner articles, in most cases even if that information is notable it just gets lost. I feel that focusing on articles that encapsulate that information and only split when we got "meat", would serve us better, providing more informative articles. so for example one line about an inn should be placed "one level up" that is its city page and only be split(with a link to it) when it has enough info or something notable that happened there that is irrelevant to the city page. or at least this what I have been trying todo.

with that being said, we are creating articles for every character(no way around it), location and few other topics, so we should make some kind of a guideline for further use, because sometimes its confusing(or at least It was so for me when I first started).

Archived