Sandor Clegane v. 9

So. Query.

Sandor makes quite a few allusions to killing Gregor, to both Sansa (once or twice, I think) and Arya. It's even his bargaining chip to try and join up with Robb.

We know he's good: this is the guy who cut his way through a raving mob to save Sansa, did in some of Gregor's most fearsome men with only a child for backup, and killed Beric even with his sword aflame. But, really... would he stand a chance against Gregor himself?

Absolutely not. Oberyn only managed to deliver a fatal blow after half an hour of prancing around while Gregor was drinking heavily to relieve a massive headache. The only swordsman who could beat Gregor would probably be uncrippled Jaime, and even that is uncertain. Brienne, Loras and Sandor might be able to beat him individually but the Mountain is just too fucking strong for anything but mythical poison to kill him.

HEY 3LITTLEBIRDS, BEEN AWHILE!!!!!!! :D ;)

I agree with this list, but I'd probably nix Victarion. I think a Sandor vs. Euron would probably be more interesting.

Why nix Victarion? He seems pretty brutal and ruthless. He's the one known as the fierce warrior, not Euron. Euron's more of a commander than a fighter, imo. He plays mindgames, whereas Victarion will just come at you with a battle axe. (can't actually remember if that's his weapon of choice...)

Why nix Victarion? He seems pretty brutal and ruthless. He's the one known as the fierce warrior, not Euron. Euron's more of a commander than a fighter, imo. He plays mindgames, whereas Victarion will just come at you with a battle axe. (can't actually remember if that's his weapon of choice...)

It is Theons weapon of choice in melee combat. No seriously he leads a charge with a double headed battle axe in one early chapter

Absolutely not. Oberyn only managed to deliver a fatal blow after half an hour of prancing around while Gregor was drinking heavily to relieve a massive headache. The only swordsman who could beat Gregor would probably be uncrippled Jaime, and even that is uncertain. Brienne, Loras and Sandor might be able to beat him individually but the Mountain is just too fucking strong for anything but mythical poison to kill him.

Strongly disagree. I think Sandor is one of the few who could take the Mountain one on one with no tricks.

Jaime I don't believe could because of the reach issue - same with Loras.

Sandor has a similarly long reach, and is exceedingly fast for how big he is. Remember, at the Hand's tourney he fairly easily held off Gregor's attacks which were all aimed at his head.

Strongly disagree. I think Sandor is one of the few who could take the Mountain one on one with no tricks.

Jaime I don't believe could because of the reach issue - same with Loras.

Sandor has a similarly long reach, and is exceedingly fast for how big he is. Remember, at the Hand's tourney he fairly easily held off Gregor's attacks which were all aimed at his head.

Gregor has a better reach than Sandor, the man holds a two handed sword in one hand. Do you know how heavy those things are? And attacking is very different from defending. Sandor may be able to keep himself from being decapitated but as soon as he gets in close he's dead.

I dunno if you're missing anyone, but I would like to note that when reading Victarion's thoughts during one of the battles, I'd say they were very much like what I imagine Sandor's to be. The men are, in regards to their martial prowess and ability, very similar. Sandor just wouldn't beat his wife to death. Heh.

Oh, what about Oberyn Martell? If he could take the Mountain...

Yeah, the Viper could probably hold his own. I mean, I assume Sandor's faster than his brother, so Martell's speed wouldn't be as huge of an advantage, but still, he's gotta be in there...

And I agree w/you on Victarion. :D

HEY 3LITTLEBIRDS, BEEN AWHILE!!!!!!! :D ;)

I agree with this list, but I'd probably nix Victarion. I think a Sandor vs. Euron would probably be more interesting.

The thing about Euron is, we never see him fight, do we? So it's hard to say if he'd stand against Sandor. I imagine he'd fight dirty though...

To play off of 2 suggestions that have already been made:

"No man can withstand" & Oberyn took down Gregor already.

How about some Sandsnakes? They're not men and know Oberyns tricks. Plus they are already in KL...

btw, I thought the whole "Sandor Love" was crazy but you've turned me, I get it.

And fear is a pretty powerful thing. Sandor wasn't afraid of Polliver and the Tickler. He was TERRIFIED of Beric and the sword.

Fighting through fear = awesomeness incarnate.

Actually it depends on how you react when afraid. If I get too afraid I get angry. Like blacking out with rage I will fucking kill you angry. Still even taking that into account his defeating Beric was pretty damn awesome.

To play off of 2 suggestions that have already been made:

"No man can withstand" & Oberyn took down Gregor already.

How about some Sandsnakes? They're not men and know Oberyns tricks. Plus they are already in KL...

btw, I thought the whole "Sandor Love" was crazy but you've turned me, I get it.

Hmm a Sand Snake would be fun, I suppose. Maybe Obara, she seems fierce enough to take on Sandor. ;)

@ HH, I think Euron would be a more interesting opponent not a better one than Victarion. I love Vicky, but Euron seems like Oberyn part 2, and I lived for sneakiness and cunning. It be nice to see if Sandor would fall for it as easily as the others. Hope that makes sense lol.

Hmm a Sand Snake would be fun, I suppose. Maybe Obara, she seems fierce enough to take on Sandor. ;)

Could even be more then 1, I dunno if Obara could take on UnGregor 1 on 1, but I don't think they would be concerned about fighting fair, plus if it comes out the guy who killed their father has "come back", I could see a "Sand Snake Force" taking him down.

Could even be more then 1, I dunno if Obara could take on UnGregor 1 on 1, but I don't think they would be concerned about fighting fair, plus if it comes out the guy who killed their father has "come back", I could see a "Sand Snake Force" taking him down.

You think so? Besides Obara and Nymeria, and I think Sarella, the rest seem to rely on their wits, charm and poisons to take down their enemies. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone because the Sand Snakes aren't the most fleshed out characters in the series.

You think so? Besides Obara and Nymeria, and I think Sarella, the rest seem to rely on their wits, charm and poisons to take down their enemies. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone because the Sand Snakes aren't the most fleshed out characters in the series.

Tyene definitely relies on poison, Obara fights with a spear but seems hot headed, Nymeria uses knives and poison but her prowess is unknown and Sarella is a good archer but nothing else.

I coulda sworn that Tyene was good with poison, but also fighting. But again, I can't say my memory is perfect...

Tyene definitely relies on poison, Obara fights with a spear but seems hot headed, Nymeria uses knives and poison but her prowess is unknown and Sarella is a good archer but nothing else.

OK so Obara comes with a poisoned spear (w/help from Tyene), Nymeria has knives, and Sarella is firing off arrows. I gotta think GRRM putting the Sandsnakes in KL w/UnGregor could mean something...

OK so Obara comes with a poisoned spear (w/help from Tyene), Nymeria has knives, and Sarella is firing off arrows. I gotta think GRRM putting the Sandsnakes in KL w/UnGregor could mean something...

I like the SS's, and I want Un!Greg dead, so if they do it, halleh-frickin-lujah

Archived