Nahlim's POV (aCoK)

Nahlim

Here I will talk about the second book and where it leaves the series. There will be spoilers ahead, so skip this if you didn't read the second book...

I think this book is my least favorite so far (again, I haven't read aDwD). I'll write things that are first to come to my mind when I think about A Clash of Kings...

First off, it took too much time to get things going! I am not a big fan of action, but I felt like the first 200 pages were just empty talk... I also believe that Renly as a characters was killed off way too early. I mean, the guy didn't get a chance to do anything serious in the war... It also had a weak ending compared to the first book and also the later two...

As for the characters... Dany was (and is) still my favorite overall, but not when looking this book as a standalone book. Dany's story in aCoK was kinda slow and not going anywhere... I mean, sure, the prophecy from the House of the Undying is very important to her future, but that's pretty much the only chapter that mattered...

My favorite character from aCoK was definitely Arya, followed closely by Sansa. At first, Arya's story dragged a little and was threatening to became boring, but then she meets Jaqen H'ghar and takes the throne! The part when she was the ghost of Harrenhal was one of my favorite parts in the series so far! I mean, finally someone who is not a Lannister got some power! Of course, it didn't last long, but it was still very enjoyable...

Sansa's chapters made me feel very sorry for her... The poor girl physically and mentally tortured by the Lannisters (save Tyrion). Yet, she has that hidden bravery deep inside of her that makes me appreciate her very much... I guess she is a Stark, after all.

Catelyn Stark. It made my heart break to see her character become so dark, hopeless and scared with every tragedy she had to face. I think making her believe that Bran and Rickon are dead was too cruel and should not have happened at all. GRRM tortured Cat so so so much... I really can't believe that there are so many people that hate her...

While Tyrion's chapters tend to be rather interesting, I still don't feel the love for him. I really liked the fact that he was trying to mess with Cersei, and I like that we get to see all the intrigue through his chapters, but I still don't love him. He is likable and I understand why so many people consider him their favorite, but I just can't feel it. He is a Lannister, after all, and GRRM made us love Starks a little bit better from the start, so looking through the Stark loving eyes, he cannot be a character to love (even though he was nice to Sansa, and seems to like Jon Snow...)

Bran's story got a whole lot more exciting in the second book. I guess meeting with Jojen and Meera Reed did wonders for his storyline and helped it become one of the most intriguing ones.

Davos was a nice addition to the story... At first, he was kind of bland and I didn't really care about him, but he does get better later... It was also great to be introduced to Stannis and Melisandre. I pretty much enjoy the Stannis storyline, and since we are a part of it thanks to Davos, I can't complain about him.

But I can complain about Jon and especially Theon. I believed that Jon's story will move forward much more in this book, but I was wrong... All that he went through could probably be summed up in three sentences. It was revealing to see the world north of the Wall, but come on! Every time his chapter came up, I was like "Oh, no! Not again!"

And yet, I still like Jon very much as a character (it's kinda just the opposite situation compared to the one I'm having with Tyrion) which cannot be said for Theon. Oh gods how I hated him! I wanted to strangle him throughout the book! Thank gods he didn't have too many chapters! I mean, I read a couple of expositions about the complexity of his character, but I still hate him and nothing will change my mind (at least I think so xD).

That's pretty much it. I enjoyed more of the Cersei interactions, too, and the introduction of Brienne. Also, I can't believe that Winterfell is gone! GRRM took home away from the Starks! Where are they to go now?

It is a great book, really, but somehow I still feel I like it less than the other three...

• 1 year later...

Archived