Jaime's Hand and Character

Rody

So I started reading aSoS and I despised Jaime.

But, after he got his hand chopped off and arrived in King's Landing, he is trying to put everything in line or at least lying really good about it.

He felt no remorse for Joffrey's death, saying even that he deserved to die.

He despises his father and his sister/lover.

Gave Brienne the sword and told her to protect Sansa.

Can anyone give me an insight on why did Jaime take such drastic turn.

Losing his hand helped in some way. And Brienne's example may well have been decisive. For that matter, so may have been his time spent in prison.

If his bathroom tale is true (and I believe it is), he was more spoiled - and at the same time, pressured into roles that mean little to him - than all-out evil in the first place.

I think it was a lot of things. Luis already pointed out a few of them: Brienne's shining example, the trauma of losing a hand, his year in prison at Riverrun. Even his conversation with Catelyn in A Clash of Kings seemed to soften him a bit, it's the first time we see him trying to justify his actions and showing some remorse over them. Getting outwitted and captured by 15 year old Robb probably humbled him a lot too, and being away from Cersei's poisonous influence for so long gave him a chance to develop his own identity more.

I also tend to think he wasn't really that much of a monster in the first place, just bitter and jaded and desperate. He saved 500,000 people's lives and it earned him the scorn of the entire kingdom, and even though he was officially pardoned no one ever really forgave him for his "crime." Practically all the knights and lords of Westeros thought of him as a scheming backstabber, even though he was really anything but. Combine that with the fact that Robert probably would've had him, his sister, and his children all executed if the truth about him and Cersei's incest had come out, and you can see what drove him to be the man he was in the first book.

For that matter, Robert's death might've been a factor as well. With his own sons on the throne, he didn't need to worry as much about what would happen if his secret came out, which is why he eventually asks Cersei to drop the ruse and marry him.

Oh, cool, you play Urbandead?

I played it religiously, I always go on and off now, but I found Die2Nite which is UrbanDead 10x better, you start in a town and every night zombies attack, you build defenses and such with other people, you have to ration food/water, scavenge in the world for supplies and etc.

Here take a peek at it

Yes, I remember now. I was Epistemologia Escatologica at the MFU.

Small World is how it goes, but SHIT in the internet I did not speak expect such things.

So how you doing buddy? (and you´re Brazilian also like me, if I remember correctly)

I thought it was you when I saw that avatar of yours.

• 2 weeks later...

So I started reading aSoS and I despised Jaime.

But, after he got his hand chopped off and arrived in King's Landing, he is trying to put everything in line or at least lying really good about it.

He felt no remorse for Joffrey's death, saying even that he deserved to die.

He despises his father and his sister/lover.

Gave Brienne the sword and told her to protect Sansa.

Can anyone give me an insight on why did Jaime take such drastic turn.

Brienne's influence is key, but it's also more than that. Remember that Jaime Lannister was a genuinely valiant and brave squire and then knight as a teen.

Even his decision to kill Aerys was inspired by a desire to save lives. He only became the kind of man capable of killing a child (Bran Stark) due to the influence of his father and sister.

Being reunited with his sister after receiving his knighthood along with his ill-fated decision to don the white cloak are to blame for his moral unraveling.

Archived