what else/more could the Blackfish have done?

LadyoftheNorth72

Damn, you could have only quoted the relevant bits in each post, you know. :eek:

Anyway, they are talking of Robb apparent plan to have Tywin overcommit himself past Riverrun, after getting past the the castle unopposed without guessing anything, blunder blindly behind Robb to try to save bannermen he cares so much about, and be crushed by a surprise attack like Jaime, because he never sends out scouts, too.

:rolleyes:

Robb's plans had nothing to do with Tywin's "love" for his bannermen, but rather with the fact that roaming freely in the Westerlands, taking castles, crushing his forces, etc, completely unopposed would make the Lannisters look weak, something Tywin could never accept. And he didn't, because he was marching west after all until Edmure stopped him.

Robb's plan when Tywin got there was to use his superior mobility and speed, since his troops were all cavalry and Tywin's all foot soldiers, to force Tywin to chase him while Robb destroys his troops little by little.

Most importantly, if Tywin marches west, Stannis takes King's Landing and kills Tyrion, Cersei and her kids (he probably wasn't aware of Myrcella being sent to Dorne). If so, game over for Tywin, who at that point might as well even declare independence himself.

If it wasn't for poor communication, as well as Edmure's lack of strategic intelligence, it more than quite a good plan, was one that more likely than not would have worked.

If it wasn't for poor communication, as well as Edmure's lack of strategic intelligence, it more than quite a good plan, was one that more likely than not would have worked.

yes, thank you. that's what i got out of it. i thought the plan was real. obviously, the blackfish is sneaky enough and a strategic enough battle commander that he might lie to his own nephew edmure (or almost let him get hanged as we saw in AFFC), but between the blackfish and Robb, i thought they were telling edmure the truth about the plan. however, i think edmure deserves a little more credit. i like him a lot. as i've read some other posters say, he's one of the few people who genuinely seem to put the smallfolk first, and for that, he is almost universally despised as being soft or weak, even by some of his own relatives. not cool!!

anyway, i digress. back to the main topic. what was the general consensus about the blackfish and jon snow? between AFFC and ADWD, was the blackfish just lying to jaime about not trusting jon because he knew that robb named jon as his heir in his will and he didn't want the lannisters to know that the riverlands and the north valued jon, or did jon actually do something to piss off the blackfish? because as far as i know, the blackfish is unaware that jon is letting wildlings south of the wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived