December to Dismember: Books we're offing this month

Larry.

Since no one else has bothered to start the monthly reading thread, I guess I'll start by saying that this is the month to finish things off, to get those final few books in before I start writing summaries of 2011 releases. So with that in mind, here's what's on tap:

Catherynne M. Valente, The Folded World

Caitlín R. Kiernan, Two Worlds and In Between

Geoff Ryman, Paradise Tales

Marcel Proust, volumes 3-7, in both French and English, of In Search of Lost Time

Russell Banks, Lost Memory of Skin

J.M. McDermott, Women and Monsters

Yumeno Kyûsaku, Dogra Magra

Haruki Murakami, 1Q84

Péter Nádas, Parallel Stories (in-progress)

Various, The King James Edition of the Bible (halfway through)

What are you aiming to complete by year's end?

Valente and Kiernan :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to reading The Folded World - I loved the first one in the Prester John trilogy. Doubt that I'll get to read it before new year's.

My december reading list:

re-reading Storm of Swords (half-way through)

re-reading A Feast for Crows

Tamora Pierce - Bloodhound

A.S. Byatt - Ragnarok

The last four novels in the Harry Potter sequence.

I'm reading them right now also. Its my first re read. I'm just about done with The Half Blood Prince, about 70 pages left. I honestly don't care what people say about them, I have setiously enjoyed reading them.

i am still reading...

red nails-robert e. howard

use of weapons- banks

ready player one- cline

i'm reading red nails primarily at work so it is going the slowest (lunch breaks and such) but UoW and RPO should both be done in the next ten days.

i will probably finish out the year with wise man's fear by rothfuss and the lions of al-rassan by kay.

Hoping to finish off a bunch of stuff...including Tigana and Heirs of the Blade, which I stalled half way through for some reason (was quite enjoying it up to then). I also want to get to Ready Player One before the year is out.

In practice, i'm reading a lot of history books and frankly awful egyptian childrens picture books. (Why is the Roman wearing what looks like a wizards cap and why do the animals on what appears to be Noahs ark have binoculars, can someone tell me?)

/frustrated.

I'll be reading from my TBR pile which is shrinking drastically this year and meet my target of having less than 20 books on my pile by year end.

I'll be finished Master of the House of Darts by Aliette De Bodard by tomorrow.

Other books this month will be Templar trilogy by Jack Whyte, a non fiction book called Fighting Ships, possibly Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson or Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer or Winds of Khalakovo by Brad Beaulieu.

I'll be reading from my TBR pile which is shrinking drastically this year and meet my target of having less than 20 books on my pile by year end.

I'll be finished Master of the House of Darts by Aliette De Bodard by tomorrow.

Other books this month will be Templar trilogy by Jack Whyte, a non fiction book called Fighting Ships, possibly Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson or Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer or Winds of Khalakovo by Brad Beaulieu.

I'm planning on starting either Winds of Khalakovo or Whitefire Crossing after I finish The Deathly Hallows and Infidel by Kameron Hurley. I have been on a big Nightshade kick lately

I'm planning on starting either Winds of Khalakovo or Whitefire Crossing after I finish The Deathly Hallows and Infidel by Kameron Hurley. I have been on a big Nightshade kick lately

I've read all three of them and they're all worth it. Whitefire is the most fun. Infidel is just more of what you liked about God's War. Winds is... different. Just put my review up a bit ago.

I've read all three of them and they're all worth it.  Whitefire is the most fun. Infidel is just more of what you liked about God's War.  Winds is... different.  Just put my review up a bit ago.

yeah, I read the review a few minutes ago. Partly why i want to start it after Infidel. Kind of in the mood for something a bit different. Infidel, at least so far, is just as good as God's War. Harry Potter just derailed me completely though.

i just read Craig Thompson's graphic novel Blankets. I had quite liked Habibi earlier this fall, and I was looking forward to checking out his earlier novel. This one is more a strict autobiographical coming of age story, set in the late 20th century midwestern US. It's a story of fundamentalist Christianity and first love and first heartbreak. Not particularly original, and for me at least there weren't any *wow* moments, but nicely illustrated all the same :)

For December I have

The Quantum Thief

The Night Circus

hopefully 11/22/63

and I'm re-reading Jane Eyre for the first time since I was a kid.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick, and it's pretty good so far.

My plans for the month include:

Killing Rites by MLN Hanover

Prince of Thornes by Mark Lawrence

and either The Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones or Up Against It by MJ Locke depending on my mood.

Just finished Vance's Dying Earth. It's a series of stories that are interconnected. I'm not sure what to say about them as I know Vance has been very influential in the fantasy genre. I have read the first Lyonesse book so I do enjoy Vance's stuff but this time I wasn't really satisfied. I guess it's because this stuff has been copied to death.

The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar - god, I was so bored by this book. I left it unfinished.

Lonely Werewolf Girl - excellent! Hilarious and fun, this is great humorous urban fantasy. This is by the same writer as Fairies.

Cold Magic by Kate Elliot - whoa, I was not expecting it to have that much romance but it's okay. The plot is fast-paced, the magic system is serviceable so far and the characters are sympathetic. Not bad at all but nothing that really stands out for me as a wow factor.

Haruki Murakami, 1Q84

What are you aiming to complete by year's end?

I've got that from the library right now but I haven't started it.

I also want to read The Night Circus.

I'm on the library waiting list for the GRRM anthology Down These Strange Streets for holiday fluff reading. (There's only one copy in the whole 43 library Mid-York system so I might be waiting for it for a while)

Archived