Sandor Clegane v. 11

Yeah, I'd be content with Sansa pulling a Loras and saying something like, "Come pray with me, Sandor," ... and then the Victorian curtain falls.

Okay, yes, that would be unbelievably terrible and corny, but I'd still count myself lucky that I escaped a GRRM-written SanSan sex scene.

Is it sex or friendship that Sandor craves? He strikes me as someone who never had many friends, he wanted to be close to sansa but that closeness contradictes everything he has trained himself to be, hence his mood swings.

I don't think it was a sexual thing it was more like a need for a deep friendship, someone to talk to, someone to trust....... If it is love I don't think either of them realise it YET..... but the basic foundations are there to build a tremendous relationship, whether they get past the first hurdle remains to be seen.

[mod] Folks, a reminder: the book forums are for book discussion. That applies to all threads. That means that posts that don't have any actual content relating to the books, will be deleted. This includes posts that consist entirely of emoticons, posts that consist solely of saying hi to another boarder, and posts consisting solely of in-jokes or meta-commentary about the thread itself. By all means talk about the character of Sandor - and there have been hundreds of threads doing that over the years - but do stick to that topic.[/mod]

I agree on the friendship thing. I think he has spent his entire life alone, building internal walls and cementing them with wine.

I think that he drinking wine is a good thing. I can relate to that. People just over react, becose of the 200% honorable characters like Barristan. He is a human after all.

I agree on the friendship thing. I think he has spent his entire life alone, building internal walls and cementing them with wine.

Did the books say that they brew wine on QI, I'm sure they did?..... If so he might never leave.

Do you guys think his lameness is perminant? I cant see him standing up to ungregor or LF for long if it is.... You need good balance, suppleness, speed, agility and endurance in a sword fight, and as it stands Sandor is a broken man.

He could still fight from Horseback, but might very well be seriously hampered by his lack of mobility in a standing fight.

Which is one of the reasons that, barring a miraculous healing at the hands of the EB, I don't see Sandor actually finishing Gregor off. I see him fighting his brother, but not ultimately killing him.

random question: some posters have implied that Sansa could use Sandor as an Ace up her sleeve to escape LF, that LF would never see coming, but, Sansa never seems to indicate wanting to escape LF, and as much as this might piss off all the die-hard Sandor lovers out there, do you really think Sandor could outsmart LF in the first place? LF is positively Machiavellian! I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely curious....

This is my feeling.

Everyone says that the direwolves are the Starks' connection to who they are, and Arya meeting up with Nymeria might break her out of Faceless Man mode. Likewise, I think that the Hound might be Sansa's connection to who she is. Arya, Jon and Bran dream of direwolves, Sansa dreams of the Hound and Winterfell.

Also, when does Sansa dream of the Hound?

AFFC Page 148

And Littlefinger was no friend of hers. When Joff had her beaten, the Imp defended her, not Littlefinger. When the mob sought to rape her, the Hound carried her to safety, not Littlefinger, When the Lannisters wed her to Tyrion against her will, Ser Garlan the Gallant gave her comfort, not Littlefinger.

*snip*

Littlefinger and Lord Petyr looked so very much alike. She would have fled them both, perhaps, but there was nowhere for her to go. Winterfell was burned and desolate, Bran and Rickon dead and cold. Robb had been betrayed and murdered at the Twins, along with their lady mother. Tyrion had been put to death for killing Joffrey, and if she ever returned to King's Landing the queen would have her head as well. The aunt she'd hoped would keep her safe had tried to murder her instead. Her uncle Edmure was a captive of the Freys, while her great-uncle the Blackfish was under siege at Riverrun.

Sansa wants to escape LF, but she is, unfortunately, trapped.

Also, when does Sansa dream of the Hound?

when she was at LF abode on the fingers curled next to the old dog..... don't quote me.. but didn't it say something along the lines of

Tyrion was bigger than he had anyright to be, he had scarring down one side of his face and when he got into bed he rasped about wanting a song....

I think it was a hound/tyrion dream....

LF still played a huge part in killing he father eddard.... what does the hound know of that plot? he might reveal something if he does, he was in the throne room when Ned was betrayed afterall....?

random question: some posters have implied that Sansa could use Sandor as an Ace up her sleeve to escape LF, that LF would never see coming, but, Sansa never seems to indicate wanting to escape LF, and as much as this might piss off all the die-hard Sandor lovers out there, do you really think Sandor could outsmart LF in the first place? LF is positively Machiavellian! I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely curious....

She is already thinking that he is not her friend and doesn't like his kisses. I think the supposition is that LF makes it his specialty to know what people want. He thinks Sansa wants someone like Loras Tyrell, and would be scared of someone like Sandor Clegane. So it is not that he will outsmart LF, it is that LF will fail to see the friendship between him and Sansa and someone that will work against him. Also Sandor saw LF betray Ned in the Throne Room. He maybe the one to set Sansa against LF.

AFFC Page 148

Sansa wants to escape LF, but she is, unfortunately, trapped.

obviously, you have the book handy to reference, which i do not at this current moment, so i will defer to your knowledge here and now. :bowdown: so correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't that only at the beginning? by the end of AFFC, hadn't she begun to see the genius of LF, and started thinking of him as "clever" and "wise" and even useful, and started thinking about how she wanted to emulate and mimic him? i though she only wanted to escape in the beginning....

If anything, Sandor would be the brawn to Sansa's brains.

obviously, you have the book handy to reference, which i do not at this current moment, so i will defer to your knowledge here and now. :bowdown: so correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't that only at the beginning? by the end of AFFC, hadn't she begun to see the genius of LF, and started thinking of him as "clever" and "wise" and even useful, and started thinking about how she wanted to emulate and mimic him? i though she only wanted to escape in the beginning....

At the end of the book....

"Does your father plan to wed again?"

"My father?" Alayne had never considered that. Somehow the notion made her squirm. She found herself remembering the look on Lysa Arryn's face as she'd tumbled through the Moon Door.

So, yes, Sansa wants to learn from LF (and no wonder, she spent two books helpless and tormented, whereas he takes lemons and makes lemonade) but LF still completely creeps her out.

OK. So, say Sansa does use Sandor to escape LF. How would that actually work? An earlier poster mentioned them bumping into each other on the Quiet Isle on Sansa's way with LF to meet Harry the Heir, but the QI is south ot the Eyrie, and isn't Harry the Heir (fostered with Anya Waynwood) north of the Eyrie? So how would that even happen, logistically speaking?

The only possible way I can see it happening is if Sandor goes to the Eyrie. I theorized in a previous thread that once Bronze Yhon (who has given his word that LF can have a year unmolested) discovers how ill SR is and that LF has betrothed his bastard daughter to the next in line he may try to help by hiring the reputed healer EB to come to the vale. Sandor may be part of the brothers who go with him to the Vale.

The only possible way I can see it happening is if Sandor goes to the Eyrie. I theorized in a previous thread that once Bronze Yhon (who has given his word that LF can have a year unmolested) discovers how ill SR is and that LF has betrothed his bastard daughter to the next in line he may try to help by hiring the reputed healer EB to come to the vale. Sandor may be part of the brothers who go with him to the Vale.

did GRRM ever confirm unequivocally anywhere that the limping man was Sandor?

Archived