US Politics, unnumbered

Angalin

I can't wait for the press conference when she announces she is running.

"I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this. In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn dumb as a fucking stump! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! "

My turn.

No, it will not be fun, Sarah is so popular with Republicans it is truly insane. the only people who are not on her side in the party are the strategists and Wall Street, she'll be unstoppable for the nomination because people are excited to vote for her.

This just isn't accurate, lockesnow. She is/was very popular with a committed group, but she didn't have majority support even before she said she wasn't running, and she alienated some people with that announcement. A lot of Republicans have concluded that she's simply a lightweight. Crap, my mom was bonkers over her for awhile, and responded to the latest rumors by saying it was ridiculous, that if she wanted to run she should have participated in the debates, etc.

If Palin had a window to run, it's closed, no matter what she may choose to believe.

So it isn't class warfare---but it is?

Are we talking among politicians or the rank-and-file?

Among politicians, it's always class warfare (and religious warfare and civil-rights warfare, ad nauseum) because politicians always use the easiest tools at hand.

Among regular folks that I've talked to about this, it's about fairness and re-establishing a healthy balance.

But if wanting even the slightest illusion of fairness equals class warfare to you, then sure.

If true, then Frank Luntz isn't to blame either. But I think marxists/communists were the first to really focus on the concept of economic class in the modern economic era, as opposed to the prior focus on more social class that often was linked to wealth. Certainly, the 1%/99% thing is a purely economic division that is much closer to Marx than to any social class division that comes to mind.

If you want to argue that "it's not a flawed idea just because it was articulated by Marxists", fine. That's a perfectly legitimate argument to make. Crap, you've got people on the left overtly saying it is class warfare. Just google "99% class warfare", and what you get are essentially a bunch of people saying "yes, it is class warfare, and about damn time!"

Economic class and social class are intimately linked. They create and define one another.

Envy recast as a virtue.

Envy = thinking it's unfair that CEO wages rose elevenfold in the last 40 years while hourly worker wages remained stagnant? Or by another ranking, from 1990-2005, CEO pay went up almost 300%, while production workers' pay went up 4.3%. (to be fair, the corporate profits for that period only rose 141%. Hard times, I know)

I am one jealous bastard. In my crazy, envy-addled brain, it seems like some of that wealth should you know, go to more than one person. But I guess that one person really does work that is 270 x as valuable. It used to be only 25 x as valuable, but boy did those leaders of men put in way more effort.

Envy recast as a virtue.

Nice try. Ask an economist or a historian what happens when the distribution of power slides too far to the top of the socio-economic pyramid. Or better yet, ask the owner of a manufacturing business what happens when demands dries up because the population cannot afford the products they make.

But I know I'm wasting my time. The only answer today's conservative movement will accept is tax cuts for the wealthy. I, too, long for the days of Reagan, who called on the wealthy to pay a larger share of their income. Heresy!

Envy = thinking it's unfair that CEO wages rose elevenfold in the last 40 years while hourly worker wages remained stagnant? Or by another ranking, from 1990-2005, CEO pay went up almost 300%, while production workers' pay went up 4.3%. (to be fair, the corporate profits for that period only rose 141%. Hard times, I know)

I am one jealous bastard. In my crazy, envy-addled brain, it seems like some of that wealth should you know, go to more than one person. But I guess that one person really does work that is 270 x as valuable. It used to be only 25 x as valuable, but boy did those leaders of men put in way more effort.

"Envy" in graph form: http://economistsview.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b33869e20162fdc7da7b970d-800wi

Archived