Arya river crossing

The False Prophet

I'm surprised nobody else caught this bit of logistical confusion in the Arya chapters.

In between Arya IV and Arya V, she escaped through a tunnel under the barn when Ser Amory Lorch assaulted them.

But it was quite clear they were on the east side of the river under God's Eye and they couldn't find a crossing (that's why Yoren wanted to search the holdfast for some boats).

However, in the next chapter, Arya and the remaining survivors ended up on the west side of the river.

How did they cross the river? With Lommy injured in the leg, it didn't seem likely they swam across either.

They found a ford and swam across. Lommy was still limping along then and it's likely they were able to help him across. Seems like the most likely explaination. Also, Yoren wanted a boat to cross the lake, not the river.

They found a ford and swam across. Lommy was still limping along then and it's likely they were able to help him across. Seems like the most likely explaination. Also, Yoren wanted a boat to cross the lake, not the river.

True enough, but Yoren only wanted to cross the lake as crossing the river was no longer a viable option. He wanted to cross the river as he didn't want to stay near the Kingsroad and hoped the Western edge of the lake would be safer, but after reaching the lake without finding a suitable crossing anywhere, (meaning they couldn't have found any ford after the attack either) he decided the next best plan would be to sail straight across, and just avoid Harrenhal when they came to the Northern edge. I noticed the same error here, and assumed the tunnel actually went under the river somehow. I know it's a stretch but it's the only logical explanation I could come up with.

Archived