Small Questions XIII

Angalin

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere (it probably has, so please excuse my laziness...), but I'm re-reading AGOT at the moment and just past the point when Maester Luwin brings the box to Cat that has Lysa's letter accusing the Lannisters of killing Jon Arryn. My question is, is it ever mentioned who might have delivered the box? I mean, although the letter is hidden at the bottom, the lens' on the top of it with the message about helping them see clearly is kind of suspicious itself, and I can't see any of King Bob's people sneaking it in there unchecked.

I was just wondering this too last night! Lysa and LF would have planned the hidden note but I suppose LF could have had any unnamed servant deliver it to Luwin.

Is Aeron Greyjoys nickname pronounced Damp-hair? Arguing with a friend that its not a religous title pronounced dam-fair.

Yep. Damp-hair. It was recently confirmed, I am bad in finding things in SSM so can't provide a link, sorry.

Honestly, no offence, but I have a question: How do people read the name Damphair, when attached to the high priest of a water god, as anyhing other than Damp-Hair, especially considering how otherwise, it seems to have no real reason for existence? I was surprised the first time I saw the confusion, since I'd always read it as damp-hair.

Honestly, no offence, but I have a question: How do people read the name Damphair, when attached to the high priest of a water god, as anyhing other than Damp-Hair, especially considering how otherwise, it seems to have no real reason for existence? I was surprised the first time I saw the confusion, since I'd always read it as damp-hair.

Yeah I agree and all of your input is helping me rub it in my buddies face! Thanks!

I agree...respectfully of course. They even asked this of GRRM in an interview. What a waste of precious interview time!

This is my first post.....I have read a lot of the threads on here, but not all of them, so I apologize if this was already discussed somewhere else.

Has anyone considered a non-literal interpretation to this prophecy (the last part):

"It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

Viserys was constantly referring to his anger/temper as "waking the dragon." Could the prophecy refer to a person who is angry and is looking for a fight? Waking the dragon could mean that people are pushed to action.....or made to become violent/angry with the "darkness" (which I interpret to be the Others).

What does everyone else think?

Interesting.

"to wake dragons out of stone" could refer to the "firing up" or making extremely angry a normally stoic person.

Stannis himself? or Jon?

but then again wasn't Dany a normally stoic person who woke up and stood her ground?

don't want to disappoint you, and I surely can't prove anything, but for me this prophecy points to Dany whatever way you interpret it. (I wonder if I'll regret saying this once the remaining books are out....)

Did Balon Greyjoy started to assemble his force before or after theon arrived with Robb proposal?

based on his history, I'd venture a guess Ironborn were always crouching in the corner waiting for their chance to spring out and rebel again.

Balon would have started slowly assembling everyone the minute news of both Robert's and Ned's untimely demise reached him. Something was already in the works when Theon showed up

I thought Others were the White Walkers, but sometimes used as an inclusive term for the resurrected wights, since the wights are pretty much serving the White Walkers.

I'm 99% sure that wights and white walkers are the same thing, reanimated corpses that act as servants to "the Others". I think that is the reason why it is such a big deal that Sam was able to kill one with a "dragonglass" (obsidian) dagger. Fire seemed to work well against the wights but didn't GRRM mention that you need more than just fire to kill an "other"? I think the characters in the story just use both wights and white walkers that mean the same thing - a reanimated corpse.

but then again wasn't Dany a normally stoic person who woke up and stood her ground?

don't want to disappoint you, and I surely can't prove anything, but for me this prophecy points to Dany whatever way you interpret it. (I wonder if I'll regret saying this once the remaining books are out....)

I agree. everything about this prophecy to me refers to dany. I however hope AA is Jon just for pure awesomeness purposes.

I'm 99% sure that wights and white walkers are the same thing, reanimated corpses that act as servants to "the Others". I think that is the reason why it is such a big deal that Sam was able to kill one with a "dragonglass" (obsidian) dagger. Fire seemed to work well against the wights but didn't GRRM mention that you need more than just fire to kill an "other"? I think the characters in the story just use both wights and white walkers that mean the same thing - a reanimated corpse.

No, the white walkers are the same as Others. The wights are the reanimated corpses who can be killed by fire, the white walkers/Others can be killed by obsidian.

Did Balon Greyjoy started to assemble his force before or after theon arrived with Robb proposal?

We can assume that he began assembling his forces pretty quickly after hearing about Ned and Robert's deaths. He definitely called his banners/longships and began seizing ships to maintain the secrecy of his plans. The fact that no word is leaving the Iron Islands is the reason Theon is sent to deliver the proposal in person.

The Young Dragon is Daeron I, son of Aegon III and brother to Baelor the Blessed. He "conquered" Dorne at 14 but it didn't last very long at all as Dorne rebelled against him, a rebellion which cost him 40,000 men and his life. Dorne was later brought into the 7 Kingdoms by Daeron II The Good by marriage.

A friend of mine who I got to read the books after watching the first season on HBO is in the midst of perusing ASOS. She has been very interested and intrigued by the entire Sansa-Sandor interactions since the two characters met way back in AGOT.

Specifically, she asked me what kiss Sansa was remembering, and since I assume that this passage came from ASOS, I immediately thought of the end of ACOK when Sandor is found to be lurking in Sansa's chambers. However, IIRC they did not kiss. Or did they? I thought she just cupped his face and felt something like tears there before he threw off his cloak and left.

If this is indeed true, then my question is: What "kiss" is Sansa remembering? Is this an example of the character making something up that did not transpire? Or perhaps fantasizing about it? Or is she remembering a kiss she shared with someone else? Or, lastly, my friend thought that this was a continuity gaffe or a small error on the part of the author?

If someone could clarify this "kiss" Sansa recalls from ASOS, I would be most thankful.

Archived