Small Questions XIII

Angalin

In the ACOK prologue Maester Cressen (on Dragonstone) gets a white raven, signaling the coming of winter. Yet Kings Landing doesn't get a white raven until the ADWD epilogue. A lot of time passes between these two events, so why the delay in the sending of the white ravens to these two relatively close locations?

Did Martin simply decide to delay the coming of winter when he realized the series was going to be longer than he expected? Was this ever addressed in the book, by calling it a false winter or something like that? I can't for the life of me remember if it was, so I'm just curious if anyone else knows.

Well the faceless men should theoretically be anti-dragon due to their backstory in Valyria. Since the Maester's supposedly had a hand in removal of Dragon's before, 'Pate' could be using the skeleton key to try and find any anti-dragon information available. That is the only thought I've had, and I don't think it's right. But so far it's all I've got since it seems like the FM don't normally go on missions like this that aren't just one kill and done with it.

In the ACOK prologue Maester Cressen (on Dragonstone) gets a white raven, signaling the coming of winter. Yet Kings Landing doesn't get a white raven until the ADWD epilogue. A lot of time passes between these two events, so why the delay in the sending of the white ravens to these two relatively close locations?

Did Martin simply decide to delay the coming of winter when he realized the series was going to be longer than he expected? Was this ever addressed in the book, by calling it a false winter or something like that? I can't for the life of me remember if it was, so I'm just curious if anyone else knows.

I think it's that the white raven in ACOK was to symbol the end of Summer (and the start of autumn) while the white raven in ADWD was to symbol the start of Winter (and the end of autumn).

In response to Shireen asking if it's going to get cold now that summer is over,

"In time," Cressen replied. "If the gods are good, they will grant us a warm autumn and bountiful harvests, so we might prepare for the winter to come."

At the end of a DWD what actual armies do the the Lannisters have left? we know that Jaime had around 18000 men at the Golden Tooth and that Tywin had 20000 before the battle against Roose Bolton. Robb Stark annihilated Jaime at the Whispering Wood at destroyed the siege of Riverrun at the Battle of the camps killing how many? 10000? or more or less?. Robb then went into the west raiding and pillaging and he then slaughtered Stafford Lannisters army of 20000 killing another 10000?. Tywin Lannister then headed back towards the west and was defeated by Edmure Tully losing about 3000 or 4000 men? Robb also won other victories such as Ashemark. Tywin then used his host to help defeat Stannis losing maybe 1000 or 2000 men which means that after KL the Lannisters had lost roughly 25000 men? leaving them with 30000-35000 men left in the field. Anyone have anymore info to give a more accurate figureit would be appreciated

At the end of a DWD what actual armies do the the Lannisters have left? we know that Jaime had around 18000 men at the Golden Tooth and that Tywin had 20000 before the battle against Roose Bolton. Robb Stark annihilated Jaime at the Whispering Wood at destroyed the siege of Riverrun at the Battle of the camps killing how many? 10000? or more or less?. Robb then went into the west raiding and pillaging and he then slaughtered Stafford Lannisters army of 20000 killing another 10000?. Tywin Lannister then headed back towards the west and was defeated by Edmure Tully losing about 3000 or 4000 men? Robb also won other victories such as Ashemark. Tywin then used his host to help defeat Stannis losing maybe 1000 or 2000 men which means that after KL the Lannisters had lost roughly 25000 men? leaving them with 30000-35000 men left in the field. Anyone have anymore info to give a more accurate figureit would be appreciated

Well, I do recall that Ser Forley Prester managed to save 4k men from Riverun.

I'm sure others have asked this, but what actually happened to Dog and Septon Merribald? I know Brienne didn't kill him, but killed the man wearing the Hound helmet, but did Stoneheart just let them go? Would Septon Merribald have just left them? It didn't make sense to me.

I'm sure others have asked this, but what actually happened to Dog and Septon Merribald? I know Brienne didn't kill him, but killed the man wearing the Hound helmet, but did Stoneheart just let them go? Would Septon Merribald have just left them? It didn't make sense to me.

I think it's mentioned that Dog was killed, but Septon Meribald was set free. Honestly, I don't think anyone would argue in that situation.

Does anyone know the actual age gaps of the 1st generation Starks? Brandon/Ned/Lyanna/Benjen?

I did some math some time ago and I think that Brandon and Eddard were very close in age, about a year. I remember that Lyanna was 16 when she died, which makes her about two years younger than Eddard. Have no idea about Benjen, I imagine he must have been three or four years younger than Lyanna.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong, I just checked the wiki which says that the older ones were born in 261, 263 and 268 respectively (there is no information about Benjen's date of birth). So Lyanna was about five years younger than Eddard, maybe even a little less.

I have a small question, since the TV Series came out popularity for GoT has risen dramaticaly, so to use this popularity boom do you guys think Martin will release the next 2 books in the series faster than what we used to (5yr gaps)

I would like you 2 cents on it.

Thanks

I have a small question, since the TV Series came out popularity for GoT has risen dramaticaly, so to use this popularity boom do you guys think Martin will release the next 2 books in the series faster than what we used to (5yr gaps)

Thanks

I don't think this will affect it. Martin's writing is affected not by readership, but just by his writing.

If Littlefinger says to Ned quite patronisingly that: "You can't lie for love nor honour" (GoT)

... which we know is the only reason why Ned has lied... (about Jon)

Is this Littlefingers only weakness? and does it prove that as clever as he is... Ned will have the last laugh? Because while i believe LF may be preparing for Dany to return... he has clearly underestimated Ned and when he finds out about Jon Snow... he'll realise all is lost? Although i hope that this is also symbolic that it will be Jon who will cut LF's sly little head off his shoulders... i can't think of anything else LF has been wrong about really... my SWOT anaylsis left me with this only under the threats section... (weaknesses was just arrogance and he's a a nbit puny) - lol! (i don't really do SWOT analysis but you know what i mean)

Did anyone notice a Baratheon garrison for King's Landing during the reign of King Robert? It seems strange that Cersei had a hundred Lannister guardsmen but there is no mention I can recall of Baratheon men-at-arms or sworn knights. Granted Renly quit the city with fifty retainers, but that seems rather small to be the Baratheon contingent.

Thanks

GRRM is no stranger to TV series production, having written to "Beauty and the Beast" as well as to ST:TNG (out of my head). And IIRC, there was a pilot filmed about two or three years ago (with a different actress playing Daenerys). My best guess is that he will not so much write more quickly due to the TV series as he did withold the series until he felt secure about having the last two books due in time.

Something i've been wondering about... the Andals brought the Faith of the Seven to Westeros. I thought that somewhere in one of the books it said that the Targs adopted the Faith after they invaded the seven kingdoms. But when i was re-reading Davos's first POV chapter in ACOK (when melisandre is burning the effigees to the Faith, the father, the warrior, the crone, etc, on dragonstone) Davos says that the night before Aegon set sail from dragonstone to conquer the seven kingdoms he prayed to the Seven for victory.

Also, the Targs marry sister to brother anbd keep multiple wives-- which has been said many times was an affront to the doctrines of the Faith.

So, did the Targs believe in the Faith of the Seven before they conquered westeros, as Davos implies, or did they only accept the Faith after the conquest? It seems like they never really took the religion seriously--given the inter-family marriages and the constant feuds btween them and the Faith, esp with Jahaerys (IIRC) putting an end to the religious-military order of the seven. But if Davos's history is correct, and aegon prayed to the Seven before he set sail from dragonstone, it would seem as though he was quite devout, and that the targaryens believed in the Faith of the Seven even before the conquest, and didnt simply accept them (grudgingly) as their gods in order to rule the seven kingdoms more effectively.

Any thoughts??

Does anyone have any insight as to where or what may have happened to Rickon?

Osha took charge of Rickon and Shaggydog after the sack of Winterfell, while Bran and the Reeds went north with Hodor. Later Lord Manderly has Wex tell Davos that he followed Rickon to the island of Skagos, and Davos is presumably is en route to collect them.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. This question was probably asked before but i just couldn`t find it anywhere. So could anyone tell me what is the bastard`s surname in the west? Like Snow, Rivers, Stone, Sand etc. Thanks

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. This question was probably asked before but i just couldn`t find it anywhere. So could anyone tell me what is the bastard`s surname in the west? Like Snow, Rivers, Stone, Sand etc. Thanks

I guess it is Hill. Gerion Lannister hasd a bastard daughter that is called Joy Hill.

(Edit) Ow ... see now that it is your first post, Akisut84: Hello and welcome :)

Archived