Another Dragon?

Blaer Dayle

In the last chapter of the book,

the chapter opens with Bran Warging through Summer, who is watching the burning of Winterfell. He looks into the sky, and sees

"a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone"

Could this be another dragon? Just wondering, what with all the old powers returning, and whatnot. Why not have an ancient dragon from the North awaken from a deep Slumber and show up later in the series. I haven't read past the end of aCOK yet so no spoilers if they are too much, some small spoilers are okay. I was just wondering if this shape is explained or brought up again later.

In the last chapter of the book,

the chapter opens with Bran Warging through Summer, who is watching the burning of Winterfell. He looks into the sky, and sees

"a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone"

Could this be another dragon? Just wondering, what with all the old powers returning, and whatnot. Why not have an ancient dragon from the North awaken from a deep Slumber and show up later in the series. I haven't read past the end of aCOK yet so no spoilers if they are too much, some small spoilers are okay. I was just wondering if this shape is explained or brought up again later.

It could be the comet Bran/Summer sees that is described so often in ACOK.

• 2 weeks later...

So are you saying the comet lasted only a few seconds?

If the wolf only noticed it for the first time there, then it woulve lasted only a few seconds unless a "bare of teeth" lasts hours or weeks lol.

I was just going to believe the comet theory, but this got me thinking again. It's true, Summer definitely would have noticed the comet months before. I don't see how we can discount anything unless explicitly stated by GRRM. He's always taking unexpected turns, like the death of Ned, or

ASOS Spoilers

the deaths of Balon, Catelyn, Robb and Joffrey just to name a few

Remember the old magics are stirring again, so some old spell may have kept a dragon at bay, but lost power over time allowing it to come back, much like the others re-awakening.

Or maybe Summer never saw it before then because he doesnt really have to gaze at the sky in his "everyday activities" lol.

Knowing that he´s always in the deep woods and hunting and running around...

Maybe he only managed to catch it just then before it disappeared cause he was watching Winterfell burn so obviously he was looking up toward the smoke and flames.

is that a stretch?

I don't think a comet would fit the description. A comet looks like a dot with a tail, not something anyone would describe as having wings. The tail count be interperted as a river of flame, but it would not be described as a roar. First a roar is a sound, not a visible trait, so I think Summer heard it as he saw it. Second, it would be coming from his head, not the tail end. Also, the was it disappeared leads me to think it was not the comet. I don't think comets just go away like that. I think they slowly travel across the sky and out of sight. The snake seemed to go in responce to Summer bearing his teeth.

I have wondered about this for a long time, and no it does not appear again in the rest of the published books. (I hope that is not too much of a spoiler!) I think it has to appear again though if it was hinted at once already.

Or maybe Summer never saw it before then because she doesnt really have to gaze at the sky in her "everyday activities" lol.

Knowing that she´s always in the deep woods and hunting and running around...

Maybe she only managed to catch it just then before it disappeared cause she was watching Winterfell burn so obviously she was looking up toward the smoke and flames.

is that a stretch?

Summer's a dude. ;)

The "winged snake" may just have been Summer's wolfy way of describing a high-leaping flame... On the other hand, yes, he might have caught a glimpse of the ominous comet through the otherwise opaque fire and smoke.

Summer's a dude. ;)

The "winged snake" may just have been Summer's wolfy way of describing a high-leaping flame... On the other hand, yes, he might have caught a glimpse of the ominous comet through the otherwise opaque fire and smoke.

thanx for that, i always forget. I have a girlfriend named Summer so i get confused.

And i really dont think it was a dragon what he saw... dont know why, i just dont buy it. it was still the comet for me.

Summer's a dude. ;)

When Someone is warging they are completely in control of all thier senses and control all movement of their host.

This makes the dragon theory very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hrrrrm, interesting.

Thought about that only briefly and explanations in my own brain stretched over:

1) the comet - remember, it's all smoking and burning and if you see something in the sky, it may very well be blurred or gone in an instant without actually moving

2) a "green" element as a side effect of running around with an open third eye

3) and since I haven't read far into ASoS yet and have no idea where Dany actually is at the moment, I even thought it could be Dany... I guess not? ;)

4) a raven blurred by smoke and fire

5) NIDHOGGUR!

So far, it just doesn't make much sense. Nice catch!

Greetings,

Steph

• 2 weeks later...

I never gave it a second thought, since it was clear to me that it was an interpretation of some leaping flame mixed with smoke or something...

Remember the night that Theon infiltrated Winterfell, Bran was having an other warg dream, and when Summer was trying to open th Iron door of the Godswood he saw "a metal snake" holding it, which was obviously a chain.

So yes, while warging Bran can see, smell, taste, feel, anything Summer does, but he can also hear his thoughts, much like "Being John Malkovic" at the beginning, Bran can't fully control Summer (yet?).

Archived