The Official Appreciation Thread for Sansa, Queen in the North v. 2

Yes, the Brits require both the actor/actress and the character they're playing to be of age* -- though for some reason I thought that Dany had been aged up to 16 rather than 18. I might be wrong about that, though.

My guess is that they'll get Sansa in her nightgown and Tyrion will be all "negatory" and go off to bang Shae.

They've heavily "softened" many of the characters -- Catelyn, Sansa, Jaime, and especially the Hound -- and sharpened others, notably Littlefinger. So my guess is they'll cut the "you're a child, but I want you" line. Scary line. That will be a good cut.

Poor Sophie -- I can't imagine being 16 and having to do romantic or pseudo-romantic scenes with 40-something year old men.

*Can I say? I like this regulation. It gets at both the spirit and the letter of non-exploitation of under-age actors.

Olivia Hussey was 16 when she did Romeo and Juliet

IIRC, she got some kind of special permission to film the nude scene. The funny thing is she wasn't allow to watch the movie on its premiere in London due to the nudity content even though the only nudity was in her own scenes, or at least that's the story I've read, not sure if it's accurate.

IIRC, she got some kind of special permission to film the nude scene. The funny thing is she wasn't allow to watch the movie on its premiere in London due to the nudity content even though the only nudity was in her own scenes, or at least that's the story I've read, not sure if it's accurate.

The. Perfect. R&J.

The 1996 version was laughable in comparison.

Extra bonus: Leonard Whiting's butt. Delectbuhls!

In reality, I think she'll end up as either the Queen of the North, the Lady of Winterfell, or the Lady of Riverrun. Not a dragonrider. Its still an interesting idea though, although I didn't pay much attention to it until I heard they were decorating her undergarments with dragonflies in addition to the pendant.

I tend to prefer the realism of her story, but I won't weep any tears if she does warg a dragon.

The. Perfect. R&J.

The 1996 version was laughable in comparison.

I totally agree. It's such an amazing movie, the score, the cinematography and Olivia Hussey is just incredibly beautiful in it.

On topic - Sansa is awesome. I really, really missed her in ADWD, let's hope GRRM makes up for it in the next book with a lot of Sansa chapters.

I totally agree. It's such an amazing movie, the score, the cinematography and Olivia Hussey is just incredibly beautiful in it.

On topic - Sansa is awesome. I really, really missed her in ADWD, let's hope GRRM makes up for it in the next book with a lot of Sansa chapters.

Yep. I am on some serious Sansa withdrawal right now. I have sanserium tremens it's so bad. The only thing that makes it better is to gorge myself on lemoncakes.

2. Sansa, the Virgin Queen:

I give this a thumbs down. No, it's not a bad idea, but honestly I would be very disappointed with this reality at the end of the series. For me despite all the naivete breaking incidents Sansa has endured over the books, I want her to retain quite a bit of who she started as, the things tha make her her. And for me this includes being somewhat of a romantic. Clarifying, I don't want her to be dependent on a man/woman, but I would like for her to have a loving companionship with someone who is dear to her. I very much want Sansa to have power if that's what she decides on. I would like to see her "Independent". But I would be saddened if she never got close to any one. I just would.

You know what, you've convinced me. (That is not sarcasm; I am saying this in all sincerity.) I think you're absolutely right. I want, more than anything, for Sansa to become empowered and have some agency. That's what would make me happiest of all for her. But I don't think that means that she (and we) should have to give up all hope that she might also experience a true romantic relationship. The desire to fall in love and get married to someone she deeply cares about has always been an integral part of Sansa's character, and I don't want to see her lose that entirely. Sure, she's lost a lot of her naivete about romance, but that doesn't mean she doesn't still want it for herself -- and to be honest, I still want her to have it (hence my highly annoying habit of shipping all the ships where she's concerned).

After all, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to fall in love and get married. Oh yeah, there's definitely something wrong with being dependent on a romantic partner, or so wrapped up in them that if you lose them, you cease to function for months and just curl up on the forest floor while wearing an ugly orange parka and falling into a state of catatonia while half the town, including your dad, completely loses its shit trying to find you (Bella Swan, I am looking in your disgraceful direction). But I think most of us here are agreed that Sansa is much stronger and more resilient than that. I might have been slightly worried about her being a Bella Swan type throughout the first part of AGoT, but she's more than proven me wrong on that score, so I ain't even mad.

I don't know, I just think it's sad to think she can't be empowered and fall in love, because why can't she have both? First and foremost, I want to see her owning her claim and taking as much control of her destiny as she can -- above all, I want that. But I'd also love to see her end up in a relationship with someone (someone of her own choosing, when she's old enough) who makes her happy, because that's still what she wants.

Not that I think she'll be allowed to have both of those things, because GRRM ruins lives and won't let us have nice things. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it.

Sorry for all the tl;dr. I just have a lot of feelings.

I don't know, I just think it's sad to think she can't be empowered and fall in love, because why can't she have both? First and foremost, I want to see her owning her claim and taking as much control of her destiny as she can -- above all, I want that. But I'd also love to see her end up in a relationship with someone (someone of her own choosing, when she's old enough) who makes her happy, because that's still what she wants.

Yes, we all have our personal faves as to whom we want her to end up with, but I will be happy as long as it's someone of her choosing (and not a Lannister or LF or Theon).

My biggest desire is for all the women in this series to turn the Westerosi political system on its head and to motherfucking RULE like it's no one's business.

uhhhhhhhhhh.........enjoy the wait?

The three dragonriders being ladies would be excellent, per this desire.

Actually I saw this as a possibility when some character commented on how the 5-king-war had turned into a war among queens. It could end with a ruling gaggle of queens. I've been a longtime fan of the Stormy/Asha/Sansa victory & love triange, with Arya as the spider behind the throne, the queenmaker if you will. This ruling coalition would have Ice & Fire & Water (old magic, dragons, and kraken). Sansa would give them claim to the North, Daenerys would have the South delivered to her by Aegon, and Asha would give them seapower.

*Lemoncake*, on 19 December 2011 - 07:37 PM, said: Mance is described as having hair that's almost completely gone to gray....
Think: George Clooney.

As the 3, they might each take husband consorts? If Mance is in the process of saving Sansa's kingdom, that'd make him the appealing choice, right? her knight in shoddy armor. The raider of winterfell finally succeeds in stealing winterfell itself, only to give it back to its rightful owner in return for her pledge that the wildlings can stay and call it their home too.

I dunno, I think it would be friggin awesome to have a totaly cracked Cersei on dragonback. KL would be toast, she would spend all day picking off Tyrells and Sparrows.

Yea. Sansa doesn't have to be a fulltime dragonrider. It's not her style, being ice and all that. She could have Bran tame a dragon for her if there's need, and it'd look like she did it, thus she'd be seen as one of the "heads of the dragon". But that dragon may very well have a different rider entirely. And if Cercei can get her hands on it, I'm all for that. In fact, if there's not enough dragons to go around, I say create one more just for Cercie just so we can see what she'd do with it. I'd like to take it even further and have her BE that extra dragon. Transform and become the beast like all the others who've tried to and failed. Her drive might just drive her through the transformation.

Sure, she's lost a lot of her naivete about romance, but that doesn't mean she doesn't still want it for herself -- and to be honest, I still want her to have it (hence my highly annoying habit of shipping all the ships where she's concerned).

SHIP ALL THE SHIPS!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Getting punchy.

Yes, it would be nice if she could experience some romance at some point. I just worry that in terms of how we typically see Westerosi politics playing out, women in positions of political power frequently cede power to their husbands. So if she does become a badass ruler like we all want to see, and she does marry, I hope it would be in a situation where the two would rule jointly. Or, she could rule on her own and have her consort, or lover or whatnot, or man-harem.

If we're doing age-appropriate shipping now, I like the idea of Edric Dayne better than Pod. Except I wanted him for Arya. Guh. Now I don't know what to do...

Pod is so adorable though, and I could totally see him having a crush on Sansa.

If we're doing age-appropriate shipping now, I like the idea of Edric Dayne better than Pod. Except I wanted him for Arya. Guh. Now I don't know what to do...

Speaking of age-appropriate Sansa shipping, I remember reading ACoK and getting all excited at the mention of Cley Cerwyn. Age-appropriate? Check! (He's 14 in that book.) High-born enough for a daughter of Winterfell? Check! Seems like a nice guy? Check! Brave? Check! A Northman, loyal to House Stark? Check!

I thought I'd hit the Sansa-shipping jackpot.

And then GRRM went and killed him off. Godammit.

Lemoncake, re: your tl;dr (cause I'm on an iPhone that won't let me quote)...

You feel all my feels, girl. All of them. If I hadn't encountered evidence in other threads that you feel differently than me on other matters, I'd think you stole my mind.

As it is, high five.

(null)

Yes, we all have our personal faves as to whom we want her to end up with, but I will be happy as long as it's someone of her choosing (and not a Lannister or LF or Theon).

Oh, please, not Littlefinger! And not a Lannister, that would make Sansa miserable under all the carefully forged and maintained armor she's been wearing. Sansa's fear and distrust of Lannisters is almost a primal fear by now, and I'm not sure that even maturity and Tyrion playing nice, or a marriage with a miraculously surviving Tyrek Lannister, could eradicate it. Theon would be a possibility except for his stupid conquest of Winterfell and murder of various Winterfell people and Stark smallfolk.

I really would like to know what Harry-the-Heir is like; could he actually be a nice guy, aside from a few youthful indiscretions? Or is he a future Robert? I wish GRRM and LF hadn't boxed in Sansa by both the regicide frame-up and the marriage to Tyrion, by the time she's free of both, Rickon could be proclaimed King in the North and the Stark heir; and Sansa's value, part of her agency to acquire a worthy mate, will be lessened. Of course, given the nature of some of the supposedly worthy eligible men at the top of the Westerosi food chain, Sansa could be well off not being the only known heir to Winterfell.

And I do hope that Sansa becomes a reasonably happy married Lady eventually, with children she can love and raise to be part-Starks, whether in the North or South.

Archived