The Official Appreciation Thread for Sansa, Queen in the North v. 2

Brashcandy is right. They're two English "style experts" who have a show called What Not To Wear. They accost unsuspecting women in malls and other places, tell them everything wrong with what they're wearing, and give them tips on finding more flattering clothes for their specific body type. If you have made it to the end of this paragraph without your eyes glazing over in boredom, Son of Jon Etc Etc, I am impressed.

Actually, Trinny and Susannah's show is something Sansa and Jeyne Poole would totally watch, tbh.

My Daughter would tell them to goto hell LOL

You are being far too polite. They are a shame. Actually British TV has a load of rubbish on it.

EDIT:

They would love it....as well as Gok Wan's show I suspect!

I haven't ever watched the show, but the books are awesome.

Surely we all remember this book from our school libraries?

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Me-Beautiful-Carole-Jackson/dp/0345345886

and it says much the same thing, red heads are limited in what looks good on them. Basically warm colours.

I could totally see young Sansa and Jeyne getting excited about a King's Landing fashion makeover, before all the trouble started. I wonder if they'll ever be able to giggle about girly things again. Sansa maybe, not sure about Jeyne.

I remember the color book. I'm a Winter, supposedly, which does make sense. Wouldn't redheads look good in blues, greys, some black, green, and various combinations?

I could totally see young Sansa and Jeyne getting excited about a King's Landing fashion makeover, before all the trouble started. I wonder if they'll ever be able to giggle about girly things again. Sansa maybe, not sure about Jeyne.

I remember the color book. I'm a Winter, supposedly, which does make sense. Wouldn't redheads look good in blues, greys, some black, green, and various combinations?

I remember forever the picture of the Red haired girl with a caption that read

"Only an autumn could look good in that wonderful shade of pumpkin"

so they can apparently wear browns, orange, green, russet (rather than china red) it's a pretty limited pallet.

Winters have the best colours: China red, black, white, navy, schiaperilli pink, charcoal, purple...

The book argues that contrary to popular belief, Winters (often those with darker skin) actually have a blue tone to their skin as do Summers (a pale version of winter).

Where as Springs and Autumns have a yellow tone (despite having the palest complexions).

The books main problem is that it essentially classes every non white race (and Meditterean people) on Earth as Winters.

Which can't be right, although they do get the best colours.

but back on topic...

Jeyne and Sansa's relationship I am curious about.

Hahahah I can't believe that people in this forum are talking about colour analysis!

Redheads aren't necessarily limited to only warm colours, although it may depend on system you are using. Skintone is what really matters, hair and eye colour can be deceiving. This is off topic, but I think in the show Sophie Turner is some sort of spring.

Have you noticed how the dresses she starts wearing once she arrives in King's Landing make her look pale and tired? Specially after Ned's death, when Joffrey shows her the heads, I think that dusty pink she is wearing helps to create the effect that she is unhappy and not feeling well. When she is supposed look happy/healthier she normally wears the blue dress she was wearing in the second chapter. Not an accident, I think the people in charge of the costumes make that on purpose. In contrast, Maisie Williams looks great in dusty colors (browns, beiges and grays) and she looks much better in her ragged clothes, muddy face and messy hair than Sansa does in most of her pretty dresses.

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/contentblob/1470988/timg485x273blob/5231844

This would be Sansa to me. It's Isolda Dychauk who played Lucrezia Borgia in the German-International tv series.

I would have liked her better than Sophie Turner. And she is definitely spring. I am spring myself, red hair, and to make me look freshly drowned put me into beige, taupe, anthracite, whereas medium grey is perfectly ok. Orange, purple, pink and intense brilliant blue give a food poisoning impression. Black is possible with the right makeup. Today I enjoy such foolish nonsense if I have nothing else to do but when I was a child I used to torture every barbie doll I could get into my hands to death.

http://www.zdf.de/ZD...273blob/5231844

This would be Sansa to me. It's Isolda Dychauk who played Lucrezia Borgia in the German-International tv series.

I would have liked her better than Sophie Turner. And she is definitely spring. I am spring myself, red hair, and to make me look freshly drowned put me into beige, taupe, anthracite, whereas medium grey is perfectly ok. Orange, purple, pink and intense brilliant blue give a food poisoning impression. Black is possible with the right makeup. Today I enjoy such foolish nonsense if I have nothing else to do but when I was a child I used to torture every barbie doll I could get into my hands to death.

Good casting choice, but she seems a bit old to me. IMDB lists her birth year as 1993 while Sophie Turner was born in 1996. I've already heard some people complaining that Sophie looks too old to play 13-year-old Sansa despite the fact that she was only 1 year older than her during the filming of the first series.

I happen to like Sophie, although I wouldn't have initially pictured Sansa looking like that. She's able to communicate a lot of the internal conflict that Sansa is going through really well, and looks very age appropriate to me, but still fairly mature. I just hope that they let her hair loose a bit more in the upcoming season.

I think pink is a very flattering color on Sansa -- perfect with her complexion. She looks awful in the later episodes because I assume they've been doing her makeup to make her look like she's constantly sobbing.

Anyway, anyone predicted an Elizabeth Rex future for Sansa? She's already a ginger, and half her shtick is that she's a virgin. That is, practically every chapter where she appears her virginity is emphasized, questioned, threatened, or whatnot. So one way to read this almost perseverative attention to her virginity is to say that we're building up to a major moment where OMG she loses it -- and regardless of how it happens, I hope we don't have to read about it.* OR, an interesting alternative: she'll adopt a very different attitude towards it and use it as a source of power. Plus Sansa as a marriage "item" is thrown every which way, and her recognition that various parties only want her because of her claim hopefully precedes a realization (as many of you have said) that she will embrace her claim and start using it.

Whether or not Elizabeth was in fact a version is kind of a moot point, compared to the fact that this was part of her PR theme, and that she continued to dangle herself as a marriage prospect at various points throughout her reign.

"I am married ... to Westeros." (From the most awesome scene of the Cate Blanchett Elizabeth movie.)

(*Cause, let's face it, much as we love these books, sex scenes aren't George's forte.)

http://www.zdf.de/ZD...273blob/5231844

Actually in that same book there was a picture of a red head who was classified as a spring, because her skin was pale and she had more auburn hair.

She was also beautiful, unlike the vast majority of gingers. So I guess that shows that red heads can be beautiful if they are springs.

@Littlespider

Hmn before ADWD I would say that Daenerys had more similarities.

Now not so much.

What do people think of the Sansa/Jeyne friendship, in the books it's treated slightly negatively, do you think that's an example of male suspicion of female friendship.

OR, an interesting alternative: she'll adopt a very different attitude towards it and use it as a source of power. Plus Sansa as a marriage "item" is thrown every which way, and her recognition that various parties only want her because of her claim hopefully precedes a realization (as many of you have said) that she will embrace her claim and start using it.

This, more than anything else, is what I want for Sansa. To find empowerment, to take it away from those who've been using her and to start using it herself. I may have a habit of shipping her with everyone she meets, but if she ends up single and in control of her own destiny at the end of the series, nothing would make me happier.

And I love Sophie Turner. She started out a bit shaky, but by the end of the first season she was wonderful. And she's absolutely stunning. Like, congratulations-on-your-face kind of beautiful. Plus, as a person she seems like an absolute sweetheart. I wouldn't want anyone else in the role.

Concerning Sansa/Jeyne, well to be honest I heard most about it from Arya's POV, and from her perspective it made it out as if Jeyne brought out some negative qualities in Sansa, such as gossip. IIRC Jeyne came up with "Horseface" as an insult ot Arya.

Hmmm.... will finding out about the fate of Jeyne be the final straw and make Sansa go all Boudicca on everyone?

I'm not sure how Boudicca she would ever get, but it'll certainly make her want to do some damage.

I just hope it makes someone go all Boudicca on Littlefinger. My preference would be Sansa, of course, but really, anyone at all would make me happy.

Sorry, sorry, I'm just still mad that GRRM didn't even let that poor girl keep her nose. :o

She's a young girl trying to make her friends laugh. Generally kids in groups are always assholes.

Exactly. Kids at that age can be little shits, especially when they're with their friends. It's been a long time since I read ADWD, but iirc, Jeyne sounded contrite about it when she told Theon.

She has to lose the tip of her nose. The tissue turned black, there's no saving frostbitten tissue at that point.

Which totally disgusts me and is not why I'm reading ASOIAF, to be honest.

Good casting choice, but she seems a bit old to me. IMDB lists her birth year as 1993 while Sophie Turner was born in 1996. I've already heard some people complaining that Sophie looks too old to play 13-year-old Sansa despite the fact that she was only 1 year older than her during the filming of the first series.

Sophie Turner as Sansa looks older than 13; I think she is a fairly mature looking young lady (at least her body is maturing quickly, and she has a sophisticated look about her, whereas Maisie Williams looks younger than her actual age); and the makeup and hairdo and costume also make her look older. She's a very decent young actress, and her last scene in AGOT, when Joffrey forces her to look at the heads and she turns around and says (paraphrasing) 'or Robb will bring me yours', is awesome - Sansa finally shows strength, courage, dignity in a horrible moment. We can literally see her grow up in these moments.

I am not wild about the hairstyles that the TV people have given Sansa (or Lena Headey as Cersei) in general.

Archived