Jon's true parents?

Ser Barristan BadAss

Don't bite my head off please! I'm now, I'm sure this has been discussed at length, hell why not once more?

I'm getting a suspicion that Jon Snow is not in fact even Ned Stark's true born son, however I think he was Lyanna's son, perhaps born of Rhaegar Targaryen? After all Lyanna was kidnapped by him, also Ned being such a man of honor would of agreed to keep and raise Jon as his own bastard so that Lyanna could wed Robert and keep her honor in tact. This would make Jon 100% more awesome as he would be half Targaryen and half Stark? Though if that's true perhaps he may inherit some of the Targaryen madness? Mwuhaha

• 4 weeks later...

That was my theory as well, but then what about the talk Arya had with the squire and the different explanation on the Harrenhal feast ?

WHat if Jon was just a son Ned had before being engaged to Catelyn (remember as he took the engagement for his borther who died, to honour his family's word) and that he had to give up his own true feeling, leading the woman to death and leaving him with the child.

It is quite unclear whether Jon is older than Robb or not.

I wonder if Jon's identity isn't just some McGuffin, and Mr. Martin is just playing with us to hide something else more important;

Though I think it would be really cool if Jon was in fact the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, I find it hard to believe that Robert and Ned would be such good friends if he knew about the fact. Not to mention, Robert absolutely hates the Targaryans going so far as to condemn the child of Dany months before his/her birth, so I doubt he would want Jon Snow to be around at all if he thought he had dragon-blood.

That leaves us with the alternate possibility that Ned simply hid Lyanna's child from Robert altogether to protect Lyanna from Robert's wrath. I also find this hard to be true, considering how noble Ned appears to be. But perhaps it could be argued that it's the reason that Ned and Robert disagree so vehemently when it comes to Dany's unborn child years later.

If that theory does turn out to be true, it would just be another sad moment in Cat's story, particularly since it would mean her husband's only public blemish was in actuality meant to protect her sister and newborn nephew.

I don't know, Jon's decisions lead me to believe that he is truly a Stark. Also, in AGoT, The dead Direwolf with the stag antler in her, symbolizes Ned Stark and his death due to the Baratheons (Robert making him hand). However, there were 6 pups, 5 normal for the true-born Starks, and the albino, for his bastard. This leads me to believe that Jon is in fact Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne's (Or Wylla's) son.

• 1 month later...

Though I think it would be really cool if Jon was in fact the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, I find it hard to believe that Robert and Ned would be such good friends if he knew about the fact. Not to mention, Robert absolutely hates the Targaryans going so far as to condemn the child of Dany months before his/her birth, so I doubt he would want Jon Snow to be around at all if he thought he had dragon-blood.

That leaves us with the alternate possibility that Ned simply hid Lyanna's child from Robert altogether to protect Lyanna from Robert's wrath. I also find this hard to be true, considering how noble Ned appears to be. But perhaps it could be argued that it's the reason that Ned and Robert disagree so vehemently when it comes to Dany's unborn child years later.

I think too that Ned would have never told his friend that the love of his life had a bastard son by Rhaegar. Robert would have slain the child and Ned would have never allowed it.

Archived