Who do you want to win the Iron Throne?

Ser Malthred Storm

I think it is funny how they are always talking about that it was Targaryen's throne by rights. Robert and Aegon had exactly the same right, they both took it. Yet people say it is Targaryen by right. If we should follow that backwards we would en up with free folk and everybody rules under their roof.

For me I want Stannis to be King. He is all a King has to be.

I want the Seven Kingdoms to become a republic.

The final book could be a thrilling account of the Westerosi presidential election of 301AL, detailing Daenerys Targaryen's advocation of small government, dragon rights and social conservatism against Jaime Lannister's radical social policies to legalize incest and same-sex marriage, his staunch advocacy of rights for dwarves and dragon-control! The key issues of the election would likely be the economic downturn, climate change, "Jaimecare" and same-sex marriage (already legal in some areas, like Dorne). Single issue candidates could be the "Outlaw Beets Now!" Party, led by Tommen Baratheon, the "Moon Tea Party" (pro birth-control) led by Cersei Lannister, and "Friends of the Aged" party led by Barristan Selmy. The newly founded "Faceless Children" charity's viral "Cersei 301" campaign would cast a shadow over the former queen's candidacy, however.

I don't see how the Targaryens would have any more rights to the Iron Throne. As it has been stated before, Robert conquered the Targaryens and assumed the throne. Some people will see this as an illegal right to the throne, however, as Dornish Bannerman stated, we could keep going back until it was at the beginning of the seven kingdoms; if Robert's conquering didn't mean anything, why would Aegon's? Remember that the Targaryen dynasty is still a new one, and was preceded by thousands of years of history--which bred it's own heirs.

Personally I do want to see a strong union between the North and the South. So either Bran and Myrcella or Tyrion and Sansa.

The Crippled King or The Imp King. But it will never happen by the way this story is going; besides the Iron throne is a curse.

Tyrion would be my favorite but that's only because I like his character, but that's an extreme long shot. For all I know, we may never hear from him again.....

I have this suspicion the fight for the Iron throne is going to be trumped by larger issues like what may be happening in the North and the hints that Dragons are going to come into play in a larger conflict. Now that I think of it, the title of the series ("The Song of Fire and Ice") suggests the Westoros "Game of Thrones" conflict is just the "appetizer" for the real conflict. Of course, the "Game of Thrones" is pretty interesting in and of itself. Lots of hints that the world is about to change; the re-appearance of "magic", dragons, giants, ability to link with animals (e.g. Bran) suggests a return of "conditions" which legends of ancient history only hint at.

Also, everything is so wide open that I will not be surprised if George Martin will die of old age before the "The Song of Fire and Ice" saga is complete. The World seems to grow with each new book. Kinda reminds me of Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Dany should have it. I think she has the strongest claim. Besides, she has dragons. She has support of the people chased away by Robert and Cersei. I think Tyrion is coming to her support. I think Varys means Targaryen when he says that he acts for the realm. I think dragons are needed if not necessary to defeat the threat from the North. I think she needs to learn how to breed dragons. At this point, her hatching the eggs was a lucky accident.

I think Melisandre will figure out how to hatch dragon eggs. I believe they need to be incubated at high heat for a low time. I doubt King's blood has anything to do with it since dragons had to exist before kings. I think since Stannis through her will have dragons. That would complicate things. I think the north is very important. I could be ruled by Stannis or one of the Starks, but that ruler won't sit on the Iron Throne.

I think there will be two kingdoms at the end. Fire and Ice. Dany will sit on the Iron Throne at the end. There will be a secondary kingdom to the north.

I think Dany should have it. I think she has the strongest claim. Besides, she has dragons. She has support of the people chased away by Robert and Cersei. I think Tyrion is coming to her support. I think Varys means Targaryen when he says that he acts for the realm. I think dragons are needed if not necessary to defeat the threat from the North. I think she needs to learn how to breed dragons. At this point, her hatching the eggs was a lucky accident.

I think Melisandre will figure out how to hatch dragon eggs. I believe they need to be incubated at high heat for a low time. I doubt King's blood has anything to do with it since dragons had to exist before kings. I think since Stannis through her will have dragons. That would complicate things. I think the north is very important. I could be ruled by Stannis or one of the Starks, but that ruler won't sit on the Iron Throne.

I think there will be two kingdoms at the end. Fire and Ice. Dany will sit on the Iron Throne at the end. There will be a secondary kingdom to the north.

So why exactly does she have the best claim? ಠ_ಠ

I don't see how the Targaryens would have any more rights to the Iron Throne. As it has been stated before, Robert conquered the Targaryens and assumed the throne. Some people will see this as an illegal right to the throne, however, as Dornish Bannerman stated, we could keep going back until it was at the beginning of the seven kingdoms; if Robert's conquering didn't mean anything, why would Aegon's? Remember that the Targaryen dynasty is still a new one, and was preceded by thousands of years of history--which bred it's own heirs.

Anyone but Daenerys. I really do not think that she is an efficient ruler.

I would like to see Stannis in some authority position by the end of the series, King on the Iron Throne or something else.

I have a feeling that no matter who is on the Iron Throne by the end of the series, Westeros will have reverted back to seven kingdoms again.

i could go with tommen and jaime having the throne. seems like a good one

or gendry with backing of the tyrells and starks, or edric storm with marriage to margaery and in alliance with the tyrells and maybe drone (targaryen loyalists though)

stark is one of the favorite houses and if howland reed would be hand then i would want them to rule, otherwise i don't see why the starks would want it and don't think they city k

dany and stannous are both fine by me

but the most satisfying would be everyone speculating who will sit it and in the end the boy king tom men never leaves it, i can see people getting pissed by that.

believe tommen growing up to a righteous man and an older jaime watching over his shoulder

Way back in the first book the 3 eyed crow promised Bran that he would fly. He hasn't learned to fly yet so I wouldn't count him out. He also seems to be the most levelheaded person in the entire series considering what he's been through. Also in the first book Ned Stark insists that he go to King's Landing because he builds bonds between people and that he'd be needed there( something like that I lent the 1st book out so I can't look it up). but that plan went awry.

Who do I want to win...? Arya. I think she would be a fair ruler after all she's been through. I think she'd be an active queen, she wouldn't just sit on the throne eating and getting drunk. She'd be out in the battles.

Either that, or I'd like it to be Jon with Arya as his hand.

I think Arya would be a really interesting King. Or rather, a really interesting "pick" to win the throne.

The beheading of Ned Stark so early in the story is meant to show how the traditional hero of stories like this have no place in Westeros: He hates secrets, so he is totally transparent about everything he knows; He only fights when there is a legitimate threat, not when he may receive some personal gain. He had no chance in this world and seemingly evil/morally corrupt characters like Cersei, Littlefinger, and others are in it for the long haul.

The more I read the less power the monarchical line of succession claims seem to have (See: Stannis, Dany, Theon). Arya would be an interesting pick for the following reasons: (a) Nobody knows where she is (B) There are fewer and fewer people left that could find her © She has the strong Stark quality of only fighting people when she has to, and the remaining people left in her prayer are there for vengeful purposes. This was a strong quality of Robb Stark, but there was nowhere for him to hide. He was the clear enemy from the moment his father was killed. Arya can avoid that. (d) She will have seen more of the entire world than most Maesters by the time her adventure focuses on the throne. Cersei's problems come from hubris and ignorance. She believes the world only exists within the confines of the castles she has lived in her whole life and fails to see legitimate threats like dragons or what lies beyond the wall. Arya is likely to understand those challenges and make tactful decisions about how to deal with them. (e) She won't be travelling with an army. It's slow and you can't hide. I also think she'll have a sense of the magical weapons of the realm by the time she removes the obstacles on her way to the throne.

Lastly, if you believe Arya shares Robb's quote from the show last week that he has no desire to sit on the throne (which I believe he doesn't), that is the sort of leader the realm needs.

I'm gonna go the unusual route and root for Littlefinger. I LOVE how his schemes play out, netting him the Riverlands and the Vale, (albeit with no love from either) and a possible claim on the North. He's playing the feudal system for all its worth, milking every last bit of legitimacy he can muster. From probably the most impoverished house in Westeros, he's risen far. Although I'm sure many of you wish to see him fall from grace (if only for his creepy disposition toward "Alayne,") I'd like to see his ruthless cunning win out in the end. No one is playing the Game of Thrones quite like Baelish.

What if it's not just one person but an alliance of several rulers? "The dragon had three heads" and all that. Frankly I'm beginning to suspect that Dany's never going to make it back to Westeros.

i read on wiki the writer wanted to focus a book on dany on her way back to Westeros i read on wiki anyone else see this?

After A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, Martin originally intended to write three more books. The fourth book, tentatively titled A Dance with Dragons, was to focus on Daenerys Targaryen's return to Westeros and the associated conflicts. Martin wanted to set this story five years after A Storm of Swords so that the younger characters could grow older and the dragons grow large

Archived