Who do you want to win the Iron Throne?

Ser Malthred Storm

I don't see Bran ruling, if he gets the opportunity, I would think that he would pass it to Rickon. But remember, Jon was to be legitimized by Robb, and no word has been heard of his letter to Greywater Watch on either side about it arriving---If it did make it, Jon would be the next heir.

(Not really a spoiler, more of a possible hint)

My opinion of Jon ruling has changed after reading the end of ADwD, but still am not seeing him ruling Westeros.

I don't see Bran ruling, if he gets the opportunity, I would think that he would pass it to Rickon. But remember, Jon was to be legitimized by Robb, and no word has been heard of his letter to Greywater Watch on either side about it arriving---If it did make it, Jon would be the next heir.

(Not really a spoiler, more of a possible hint)

My opinion of Jon ruling has changed after reading the end of ADwD, but still am not seeing him ruling Westeros.

I agree,

yes he is too loyal for leave night watch, but if he learn the robb's letter and stark's current situation maybe he changes his mind.

I hope Dany won't get the Throne. She could stay in Easteros for that matter, I really don't like her, obviously. I don't think that the Iron Throne will rule one realm, one kingdom. I think Westeros will fall apart, just like before Aegon's conquest. Stannis can sit the Iron Throne, I don't really care, he should make a good King considering he was the only one helping the Night's Watch. I'd like to see the Starks back in Winterfell, including Arya, Bran and Rickon, if we ever see him back.

and I still hope Sansa will kill Littlefinger. Then I would be really happy.

Ned Stark for the Throne!! ooo wait...Robb Stark for the Throne!!! No that's not it...Viserys For the Throne!!! Khal Drogo for the......Hmmmmmmm Joffery...No Tywin..damn

I GOT IT!!!!!!

Whoever is Still Alive at the End of the Books.....For the Throne!!!!!!!

But seriously, I would Like to say Dany..Her Claim to re-usurp the throne is probably a good one...

But no one denied Robert's Claim and he died so i think it should go to his Heir... So I would Say

King Gendry has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

but ill join team Stannis as fast as Renly's own banner-men Did after Renly Died

Brandon Stark, simply. He is the heir, or rather now the Lord of Winterfell, and I feel that the Throne or the seat of power will shift from King's Landing. Maybe again the North and South will be divided, and once more there is a King in the North with his seat at Winterfell. Remember Starks were Kings before they were Lords. What if Dany destroys King's Landing utterly? The Iron Throne will be prone to melting from dragonfire surely. Rebuilding such a throne will be hard and as such the symbol of power will destroyed entirely. We see how people are after the Iron Throne, even Cersei wanted to shift the seat of power to Lannisport and Casterly Rock, but she knew she could not because people see the power in the person who sits the Iron Throne.

But I like one property of the Iron Throne. They say only the worthy rulers can sit on the Throne without getting themselves cut. We see that Mad King Aerys and later even Joffrey cut himself on the Throne. That is a sign if the person is worthy to sit the Iron Throne. I would want Bran to be the King surely, whether of the North or Westeros is a separate question. Samwell Tarly, the Slayer, knows Brandon is alive and I am sure he will step in if any dispute arises about him being alive or dead. I do not believe Rickon has much scope just because of the limited mention he got so far. His story would have got told I think, if he would have been someone to be a claimant to the Throne.

Well, in the end, I just hope that all the characters get their songs which might be told for years after all this has ended.

By sane rules Tommen is the rightful king.

By legitimism Dany is the rightful queen, and it seems relatively clear that the universe thinks she's the rightful queen. But accepting legitimism explodes the possible number of people who can make a reasonable number of claims to the throne, which increases the chance of civil war. So possession is nine-tenths of the law.

If we accept that products of the queen's adultery are illegitimate heirs, then Stannis is the rightful king. But these kind of accusations are easy to produce, and so increase the chance of civil war. So if the queen gives birth to you while she's married to the king, you ought be considered trueborn.

Obviously reasoning like this is utterly insensitive to who would make a good ruler or not (see: Joffrey), but there are other means of addressing those concerns (see: Joffrey.) 90% of the time "good ruler" is going to mean "goes along with what the Tywin Lannister of that generation says, and reigns during Summer" not "individual person who is really smart and virtuous" anyway.

Really my only two choices are Dany and Stannis. I think Dany is the rightful heir, but that Stannis would be a much better ruler (well...if he got rid of Melisandre), so I'm pretty torn at this point.

Also: Dany can't produce heirs (thanks to MMD), and Stannis won't produce any unless Selsye dies or he has bastard heirs. So really neither of them is a good long-term option. Argh!

If Dany is the "rightful" heir to anything, she is the "rightful" heir to the position of "head of House Targaryen". She has no "right" to the Iron Throne any more than Tommen or Stannis do.

Why? I mean, yeah, hereditary monarchy is an arbitrary and no doubt suboptimal social construct, but so are the Houses, anything for which the term "rightful" typically applies, &c.

My english is simple, please forgive.

1- I think the coin drop in the mad size the day Dany was born (she only hasn`t entirely shown it yet, but she wil). I hope she dies in a battle in the narrow see while she is trying to get back to Westeros. End of it.

2-Viserys was my king (mad and dead now, a shame) then was Renly(dead too)

3-Is it crazy if I think Shireen Bartaheon is going to sit in the Iron Throne?. A few times Melisandre and Thoros both have said that the Red God sends the right message but they can read it wrong. Melisandre has said she`s seen Stannis on the flames as the God`s chosen one. Maybe she is confused and it`s Shireen the one but Stannis is going to help to make it happen while fighting against the Others and such as. I know she is young but also think the story will end in many years from where it`s now.

4-A divided kingdom again is another choice.

Well, I believe that the Prince that Melisandre has seen in her visions is Bran. Coldhands said something similar, I think. My idea is made stronger by the fact that Bran is beyond the wall and she saw pictures of beyond the wall as well and that is why she took Stannis up there. Remember Starks were once Kings in the North and so he would be a Prince, although by rules he is now King himself, ut at the time Melisandre saw the visions, he was a Prince.

And as already mentioned, Melisandre said that if there is a mistake, then it is in her interpretation of the visions and not the visions themselves. What if the Prince talked of is Bran? Well, I believe that it is.

John for King, Dany for Queen, Tyrion for Hand, Samwell for Grand Maester and Meribald for High Septon!

Bran should become the Stark in Winterfell, with strong alliances with The Vale (under rule of Harrold Hardyng and Sansa Stark) and with Riverrun under Edmure Tully. Tyrion gets Casterly Rock, Stannis gets Storm's End and what the hell, Littlefinger can keep Harrenhal, as long as he restores chaos to order in that region. Mance Rayder can become the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch for all I care. Why not live in peace with the Wildlings, as long as they act responsibly and help defend the wall.

After the great winter comes the most prosperous time for the 7 Kingdoms in centuries!

(I know, not going to happen)

Targaryen's don't have the right to the Iron Throne anymore then the Baratheon's. The first Targaryen took the Iron Throne by conquest, as did Robert.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Jon Snow on the Iron Throne.

You do realize that the Targaryens MADE the Iron Throne, right? Before them there were the 7 Kingdoms, so either 7 split Kingdoms ruled by their own families (King in the North! King in the North!), or a unified Westeros with the Targaryens to rule it. The only way it'll work. Having Robert Baratheon on the Throne was bad enough. (Throne in debt, families plotting to grab the Throne, King that doesn't rule, only in name, and so on)

Starks, Ironborn, Lords of the Reach, Martells, Riverlords, Lords of the Vale and the Lords of the Westerlands will only follow the Targaryens or try to become the ruling party themselves.

I'd like it to be Dany, but with a further endgame after she's had a chance to get her bearings.

Dany's arc to date has been the most socially progressive one in the books. She's naturally a very good leader and tactitian. However, her life has also made her want to champion victims of rape and slavery. Like her brother, Dany can be stubburn, but the things she's most stubborn about are basic human rights for ordinary people. There's a sliding scale of decency in how the people of Westeros treat the small folk, but none of them have Dany's reckless passion for - how shall I put this? - kicking oppressors in the face.

Two other things I like about the prospect of Queen Daenerys the first of her name:

Dany has never doubted her birthright. She's very single-minded about it. And unlike all of the other would-be kings and queens knocking around Westeros she's never had it brought home to her just how contingent anybody's claim to the throne is. It would be a nice reversal if the one claimant who was always absolutely convinced of her claim by bloodright, dragonright, and the omniscience of youth was the one to call foul on the entire system.

Dany has a glorified idea of what Westeros is like in her head, courtesy of Viserys. When she finally gets there, she's in for a rude awakening. However beautiful the land may be it's currently war-torn and about to starve its way through winter. After being an absentee piece in the game of thrones for so long, her outsider perspective is going to give her a unique point of view on the entire play.

She's currently the one one with the best claim to the throne, the fiercest determination to take it, the best weapons (once her dragons grow) and the least idea of what it all actually means. If she comes to Westeros in full power, the other players might be surprised at how she chooses to use it.

Bring on Daenyrys, her dragons, her outsiders perspective, and her experimental model of governance by a committee of elected elders!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived