Unpopular Opinions, Because We Can Never Get Enough

Sand Snake No. 9

The previous thread was locked during a discussion of Jon Stark, his policies toward the Wildings, the lives of women north and south of the wall, and Tyrion's sex life. Anyhoo:

With regard to my comment that I thought that Wilding society was an improvement on feudal Westeros society, given that women have some opportunity for self-determination:

I've always wanted to be kidnapped by some creepy filthy man, live in poverty with no way of escaping it far away from my family.

Because women in the rest of Westeros have it so much better? I'd rather be a spearwife beyond the wall than a highborn girl of marriageable age anywhere else in Westeros. The highborn girl married against her will to a man she dislikes gets raped, unless her husband is turned off by her reluctance. The spearwife married against her will to a man she dislikes gets to cut his throat. At least the spearwife's story is going to be a lot shorter.

The previous thread was locked during a discussion of Jon Stark, his policies toward the Wildings, the lives of women north and south of the wall, and Tyrion's sex life. Anyhoo:

With regard to my comment that I thought that Wilding society was an improvement on feudal Westeros society, given that women have some opportunity for self-determination:

Because women in the rest of Westeros have it so much better? I'd rather be a spearwife beyond the wall than a highborn girl of marriageable age anywhere else in Westeros. The highborn girl married against her will to a man she dislikes gets raped, unless her husband is turned off by her reluctance. The spearwife married against her will to a man she dislikes gets to cut his throat. At least the spearwife's story is going to be a lot shorter.

I guess it depends on how you feel about a comfortable life + a terrible relationship vs a hard life+a better relationship

I kind of hope that Rhaegal and Viserion get to live out their lives unmolested in Meereen. They each have a pyramid to themselves and entire pits full of sheep. What more could they possibly ask for?

It's weird ... as much as I hate Dany, I can't bring myself to dislike the dragons. They deserve better. :bowdown:

The last few post of the last thread dealt with Tyrion and his attitude towards women. Mainly that he consistently reduces them to a walking vagina. I would like to address that point, if I may.

I believe that there's strong motivational basis to Tyrion reducing women to mere sexual objects.

Being a dwarf, and inculcated by his father, his loving sister, and society that he is a grotesque, one that can, and indeed should, never hope to be looked upon by any woman but as hideous "monster" (his words and Cersie's) he learned to not expect love, nor respect, nor anything nearing a positive emotion from the female sex - Tysha saw him as something more, and we think loved him, and for that Tywin had her raped and had Tyrion convinced that she is a whore who only pretended love for money.

What must it be like to grow up believing yourself such an offence to humanity that you are undeserving of love or even respect from the opposite sex? I can not imagine.

As a result, and as a perfectly understandable defence mechanism, he reduced women to the only thing he can ever hope to attain from them - and only in exchange for money - their sex.

To see women as anything more would only serve to remind him of his genetic misfortune and of what he can never have.

His outlook on men is no better. Tyrion has no friends, and I believe is incapable of making them. He looks at all the men around him with suspicion. To him men are not who they are but what they are. They are either enemies to be dealt with, allies to be purchased and appeased, or pawn to be manipulated. He reduces them to their basic mechanisms, their desires - greed, lust, glory, power - and he certainly doesn't aspire to a real relationship with any of them. His only real relationship with any character in the books is with Jamie (Tysha doesn't count, because we know nothing of her or her motives), but even Jamie's love was proven faithless in Tyrion's eyes.

Tyrion is a man who has been raised to believe that he is unworthy of anything but contempt and disdain. It really is no surprise that he behaves the way he does.

Quick note on Tyrion's view of women: my understanding is that he suffers from the unfortunate, frequently occurring, and rather vapid Madonna/Whore syndrome -- in that he sees women as one or the other, rather than fully operating, intelligent subjects. This is also an attitude that seems to have affected Tywin. Charming gentlemen, really.

I must second Sun on one matter, that he "has been raised to believe that he [as an individual] is unworthy of anything but contempt and disdain." This is true. But complicating this matter is that he has also been raised as a Lannister of Casterly Rock, and as such he is also getting the message that he is god over the whole world. So he is getting mixed messages.

I do think that a sex advice column, as appeared in the other thread, authored by Tyrion would be interesting. But occasionally Littlefinger should weigh in. His advice, I predict, would be consistently succinct: PLAY WITH HER ASS!

I like the wildlings, but, playing Devil's Advocate here, not every wildling girl is a spearwife and situations like the first one and that power imbalance exist beyond the Wall too. Take Craster's wives/daughters, for example. In theory they wouldn't be judged for killing him by their society, but the lifetime of abuse left them with the thought that they can't do it and even though they are pretty self-sufficient, it's not a sure thing that they would survive on their own with the Others around and Mance with the rest of the wildlings very far away. Or the girls Varamyr kidnapped by sending his animals to get them? He says something like "they came with tears in their eyes, but they still came" and he killed every man who tried to rescue the girls. Could any of them have killed him with his pets around? Doubtful and even if they did, they would be dead for sure. I don't know if that, their story being shorter, is better than having a life of a highborn girl in Westeros.

I'm imagining my Tyrion sex advice column:

Questioner: Tyrion, what do I do for premature ejaculation?

Tyrion: This isn't a problem. Orgasm is the whole point!

I need to start cataloging all Tyrion's references to sex throughout all the books, to get a handy reference guide together to respond to questioners!

I'm imagining my Tyrion sex advice column:

Questioner: Tyrion, what do I do for premature ejaculation?

Tyrion: This isn't a problem. Orgasm is the whole point!

I need to start cataloging all Tyrion's references to sex throughout all the books, to get a handy reference guide together to respond to questioners!

guys, guys stop! I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying!

but please, this needs to happen. We need THE OFFICIAL TYRION LANNISTER SEX GUIDE

Sex AND relationships. We need Tyrion's unique take on compensation for prostitutes, how to end a relationship appropriately, how to confess your feelings for a woman, and so on and so forth. Sex alone is so... limited... although Tyrion's grasp of the boundaries and differences between sex and relationships is so poor one wonders if there actually is a difference for him.

Questioner: Tyrion, my wife's father just passed away and she's having a difficult time dealing with it. How do you recommend that I comfort her?

Tyrion: I find that women are at their most beautiful during times of grief. Sit back and fantasize about how much more fuckable she is when she's sad.

Sex AND relationships. We need Tyrion's unique take on compensation for prostitutes, how to end a relationship appropriately, how to confess your feelings for a woman, and so on and so forth. Sex alone is so... limited... although Tyrion's grasp of the boundaries and differences between sex and relationships is so poor one wonders if there actually is a difference for him.

Also, how to deal when your dad doesn't want you to take your prostitute to court.

Q. is marrying a 12 year old appropriate?

A. If she isn't repulsed by you, you should go for it! if not, then wait until she is ready. just as long as you take mercy and don't rape her, you're a great guy :thumbsup:

Dear Experts: In my ethics class, we were wondering: is it possible to rape a sex worker?

Tyrion: Fuck no, dude.

Littlefinger: Two issues. First, she's not a sex worker, she's a WHORE. Secondly, to answer your question, no. As long as you play with her ass first.

please, elaborate!

Tyrion would make a good husband. Provided that the wife has constant access to a ball gag and bondage tape. Oh, and as long as she is hot.

Also, how to deal when your dad doesn't want you to take your prostitute to court.

Q. is marrying a 12 year old appropriate?

A. If she isn't repulsed by you, you should go for it! if not, then wait until she is ready. just as long as you take mercy and don't rape her, you're a great guy :thumbsup:

No, the answer to that question is:

Tyrion: Does she have a castle?

I kind of hope that Rhaegal and Viserion get to live out their lives unmolested in Meereen. They each have a pyramid to themselves and entire pits full of sheep. What more could they possibly ask for?

It's weird ... as much as I hate Dany, I can't bring myself to dislike the dragons. They deserve better. :bowdown:

I don't think it's so weird. The dragons are animals who never asked to end up in the circumstances they're in. It's not quite fair the human populace of Meereen. Someplace sparsely populated with a lot of wild game would be ideal for the dragons, but Dany's not likely to let them go.

Q: Tyrion, I have to work with a woman now!!! How do I handle this?

Tyrion: Tell her that its not fair that she hasn't fucked you yet. Make sure that she knows she's your sexual inferior, at all times.

Archived