Why do people like Stannis.. I don't get it?

RandomWanderer

Ah, Stannis. In real life, I doubt I'd like him much, in fact he'd probably get on my nerves the entire time. But as a character, I find him quite interesting to read about. He has these very set in stone, rigid ideas about What The World Should Be Like, and he expects the world to conform to those ideas. When reality hits him in the face (Such as the bannermen not supporting his rightful claim) he won't back down, no matter what. He'd rather fight the entire world than change course. I wouldn't call it sensible, but it makes him a character who definitely drives the story forward and makes things happen, and chapters where he appears don't tend to be dull ones.

I'm a woman. I can hate any other woman without being a mysogynist. And Selyse is a religious fanatic idiot who is totally okay with her lord husband banging her BFF Mel. She is dumber than Cersei. Can't understand how wildlings work no matter how many times she's told. She's okay with burning people. Oh, and she only kisses Shireen on the unscarred side.

Uglieness is not the main problem. Brienne is ugly too but who cares, she's badass.

Can't really see any of Selyse's supposed loneliness. Stannis is too good for her. I hope Tormund steals her as he said, then she would have good sex and Tormund would have fun (and Stannis a sigh of relief).

Well one of the good reasons to like Stannis is his understanding of the duties that kingship entails. There are people like Balon, the Lannisters and the Tyrells who see it as a way of increasing and maintaining power and control. True that does of course extend to Stannis but what drives him is duty. Duty to himself but also duty to the realm. There are only a few candidates out there who share similar views and they happen to be (for the most part) fan favourites - Jon Snow and Dany.

Then there's his mastery of deadpan humour.

Renly: I got Margaery. You'll be happy to know she came to my bed a virgin.

Stannis: In your bed, she's like to stay that way.

~~~~~

Stannis ground his teeth. “It is not my wish to tamper with your rights and traditions.

As to royal guidance, Janos, if you mean that I ought to tell your brothers to choose you, have the courage to say so.”

That took Lord Janos aback. He smiled uncertainly and began to sweat, but Bowen Marsh beside him said, “Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?”

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.” The look the king gave Slynt was cold.

And then there's the fact that he's the underdog from the start and refuses to give up.

Apple Martini compared Stannis Baratheon with Richard III, but everyone's point of view for this monarch based on Sheakspeare's play and it based on Thomas More's book, but - Thomas More was five years old - FIVE - when Richard III died in the battle and his all long life lived under the Tudor's rule. How could he to be objective in this matter, I don't know.

I was reading some book about Richard III earlier and it ... I meant Richard III seems to be better person and king than his brother Edward and Henry VII.

Edit: I hope it was'nt big offtop.

I like Stannis Baratheon, because he will be the best king and his personality is FULL.

If it makes a difference, I'm talking about Richard as he was and not so much how Shakespeare wrote him. He was a complex, hard-nosed man and a great military mind who, like most kings of the day, happened to do some bad things. Please don't think I think of his as a comic book villain, because I don't. I've read several books about the Yorks and like to think I'm pretty familiar with them.

There's also something called the spoiler effect: let's say you have three people (Alex, Beth, and Carl). Alex believes in Z, while Beth and Carl both believe in Y. Y and Z are equally popular. In a popularity contest between Alex, Beth, and Carl, Alex will win, because all fans of Z will gravitate towards him, while fans of Y will be divided between Beth and Carl.

Stannis is the only one in the series who seriously thinks inheritance law is the most important thing in the world. He's the only non-NW member who takes the wights seriously. He's the only one who takes everything seriously, while still being hilarious.

Are you a fan of double-crossing clever mofus? You have LF, Tywin, Varys, et cetera to choose from.

Are you a fan of genuinely nice, innocent people? You have Ned, Robb, early Dany, Brendyn, et cetera to choose from.

Are you a fan of grizzled, tough-as-nails warriors? The Hound, Arya, the Wildlings, and many more are their for your reading pleasure.

But Stannis is all alone, so all of our love for his sort of character gets directed directly towards him.

She's the reason why Stannis doesn't have a beard, just a nice stubble. ^_^

I think that's because of King Bob. Maester Cressen reflects on this in the prologue. Perhaps it is important for Stannis to highlight all of the ways in which he contrasts from his brother in order to solidify his sense of identity. Or, since he's already 80 percent bald by the beginning of the books (near 100 percent, now), perhaps Stannis is building an identity based upon being the least hairy member in his family. (According to Cersei's reflections, Robert's hair grows "thick and coarse" all over his body :stillsick: . Personally, I continue to be baffled by Cersei's refusal to open her legs for and have the babies of this charmer. :dunce: )

Or perhaps you are right, and Stannis merely wants to avoid those arkward idenity mix ups with his wife. In ACOK, it is mentioned that Selyse, in addition to having the imfamous mustache, is "as tall as her (6 foot 4 inch or so) husband." :uhoh:

What with Selyse being a rather masculine woman, and Stannis being (he himself must fear*) a rather feminine man, such awkwards mix ups are inevitable. :uhoh:

*Body hair being an indicator of high testosterone levels in men, Stannis must know that this is yet another issue on which he can never measure up to big bro, the biggest, most manly he man in all of Westeros.

Robert's hair grows "thick" all over his body :stillsick: . Personally, I continue to be baffled by Cersei's refusal to open her legs to and have the babies of this charmer. :dunce: )

do I know this feeling... :wub:

Or perhaps you are right, and Stannis merely wants to avoid those arkward idenity mix ups with his wife. In ACOK, it is mentioned that Selyse, in addition to having the imfamous mustache, is "as tall as her (6 foot 4 inch or so) husband." :uhoh:

What with Selyse being a rather masculine woman, and Stannis being (he himself must fear*) a rather feminine man, such awkwards mix ups are inevitable. :uhoh:

and isn't this why they are so good together???

Seriously I think Stannis swallowed a broomstick at some point.... He doesn't bend, right?

*Body hair being an indicator of high testosterone levels in men, Stannis must know that this is yet another issue on which he can never measure up to big bro, the biggest, most manly he man in all of Westeros.

Stannis is bald which is a sign of masculinity (more than medium level testosterone). he's jealous of Robert and Renly's charisma, which he lacks. Maybe he's overcompensating with his sense of justice, I dunno. Young Robert was handsome and a great warrior with a lot of charm, Stannis being a little younger than Robert was overshadowed his whole life and could never rival him in anything. Plus, he got stuck with Selyse with the stash, who must be of a great company. Poor him.

Stannis is bald which is a sign of masculinity (more than medium level testosterone). he's jealous of Robert and Renly's charisma, which he lacks. Maybe he's overcompensating with his sense of justice, I dunno. Young Robert was handsome and a great warrior with a lot of charm, Stannis being a little younger than Robert was overshadowed his whole life and could never rival him in anything. Plus, he got stuck with Selyse with the stash, who must be of a great company. Poor him.

Stannis is as bald as a q ball at 34. Not hot. So if we're saying "poor him" or "poor her" based on the unattractiveness of people's spouses, poor Selyse, too. Stannis sounds incredibly unattractive, and get's more and more so with each description, each of which describes him as "having appeared to have aged 30+ years in the last few weeks."

Jon S. describes him as skinny, with pale, dry, prematurely wrinkled skin 'like parchment"; a head almost entirely bald; deep set, suspicious looking eyes shadowed by dark circles; a "hard," thin, almost lipless mouth; and a demeanor that, at best, sounds homely and prematurely aged. I've never held this against him, nor have I ever even thought to cite it against him. However, I'm not sure how Stannis "deserves" an especially pretty woman, much gorgeous one as gorgeous as Melisandre.

Later, Asha describes him as having a scull like face, deep set eyes slitted in suspicion, and a general appearance of a man having "one foot in the grave." Grrr. Let me at that. :rolleyes:

So it must be said-- poor Melisandre!

(According to Cersei's reflections, Robert's hair grows "thick and coarse" all over his body :stillsick: . Personally, I continue to be baffled by Cersei's refusal to open her legs for and have the babies of this charmer. :dunce: )

do I know this feeling... :wub:

I am confused by this conversation......do you or do you not like hairy men? I'm talking to both of you by the way....

:stillsick: . Personally, I continue to be baffled by Cersei's refusal to open her legs for and have the babies of this charmer. :dunce: )

Robert is possibly the WORST husband in Westeros (with perhaps the exclusion of Ser Gregor Clegane, Ramsay Snow Bolton or Craster). Sorry but calling your Bride your ex-betrothed name on your Wedding Night is bloody inexcusable.

Now to go back to Stannis. Imagine the scene. The Wedding Feast is done and Stannis and Selyse have just being brought to the bedroom, through the horrifically weird Bedding process to find their wedding bed disheveled and covered in "maiden's blood". Seriously what was Robert thinking! He has just humiliated his brother by spoiling his wedding bed, which other people will have seen as both Stannis and Selyse would have been delivered naked to the room. So while they are their naked, what happens? Are servants called to get fresh sheets etc? Do they just find another room?

Also talk about spoiling Selyse's day. Vile person or not, it was still her Wedding Day, and Robert ruined it for her and possibly set about the awfulness between her and Stannis in their marriage and publicly humiliated both of them. (The fact that Selyse mentions it in connection to Edric Storm, would suggest that it effected her greatly).

Sorry but I could go on all day about what a crappy bother Robert was, and what a crappy Husband Robert was and what a crappy father Robert was.

Stannis deserves a bloody medal just for suffering him.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot, What a crappy friend Robert was.

I am confused by this conversation......do you or do you not like hairy men? I'm talking to both of you by the way....

I have no problem with them whatsoever; some women find this a turnoff, some a massive turn on.

I was saying that I found descriptions of Robert gross, yes. Not so much because of his body hair and weight problems, but because of his tendency towards rape and domestic abuse. I've heard numerous posters asserting (in other threads) that Cersei is an uptight bitch, ruined her own chances at happiness by being petty an bitchy towards Robert, etc. Numerous people have expressed their incomprehension as to why Cersei wouldn't just sleep with King bob, as was her duty.Since i've already pointed out the most obvious issue at play here (raping one's spouse, regardless of the norms of one's society, generally does not lead to domestic harmony), I felt I'd jokingly point out the obvious answer to the question of many-- what was wrong with Cersei for being so cold/ uptight with her husband? I was simply pointing out that King Bob's body hair may not have been such a massive turn-on. Well, that, and the rape. :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick:

I was simply pointing out that King Bob's body hair may not have been such a massive turn-on. Well, that, and the rape. :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick:

Oh and that even Cersei was turned on by him until he called her by Lyanna's name. :stillsick: What a douchebag!

Imagine if she had yelled out Jaime........... :box:

Stannis is as bald as a q ball at 34. Not hot. So if we're saying "poor him" or "poor her" based on the unattractiveness of people's spouses, poor Selyse, too. Stannis sounds incredibly unattractive, and get's more and more so with each description, each of which describes him as "having appeared to have aged 30+ years in the last few weeks."

Jon S. describes him as skinny, with pale, dry, prematurely wrinkled skin 'like parchment"; a head almost entirely bald; deep set, suspicious looking eyes shadowed by dark circles; a "hard," thin, almost lipless mouth; and a demeanor that, at best, sounds homely and prematurely aged. I've never held this against him, nor have I ever even thought to cite it against him. However, I'm not sure how Stannis "deserves" an especially pretty woman, much gorgeous one as gorgeous as Melisandre.

Later, Asha describes him as having a scull like face, deep set eyes slitted in suspicion, and a general appearance of a man having "one foot in the grave." Grrr. Let me at that. :rolleyes:

So it must be said-- poor Melisandre!

Fair enough, lol. But Selyse's stache is just the cherry on the top of her unpleasantness (in terms of personality). We don't see any of her qualities. Selyse's just a bigot, with her stupid uncle always lurking by her. I couldn't stand her when she started with "None can withstand him" "R'hllor grant courage and strength to King Stannis" or " The night is dark and full of turnips". I don't like the queen's men even if I'm starting to like Mel since ADWD. But look at Selyse, always snobbish against Davos, Jon Snow and the Night's Watch. Wanting to burn Edric Storm and calling for the burning of her own uncle (Lord Alester) with that other stupid uncle (ser Axell) at her side. Unlike most highborn ladies in the books, Selyse is stupid but won't spare us the sound of her shrilly voice (I hear her now saying some stupid counsel again). But Stannis listens and follows good counsel, is determined, know his rights and is unyielding. You've got to admire a man who knows the truth (Cersei's children, his unpopularity) and yet keep on trying to achieve what he thinks is right, and which is right.

I have no problem with them whatsoever; some women find this a turnoff, some a massive turn on.

I was saying that I found descriptions of Robert gross, yes. Not so much because of his body hair and weight problems, but because of his tendency towards rape and domestic abuse. I've heard numerous posters asserting (in other threads) that Cersei is an uptight bitch, ruined her own chances at happiness by being petty an bitchy towards Robert, etc. Numerous people have expressed their incomprehension as to why Cersei wouldn't just sleep with King bob, as was her duty.Since i've already pointed out the most obvious issue at play here (raping one's spouse, regardless of the norms of one's society, generally does not lead to domestic harmony), I felt I'd jokingly point out the obvious answer to the question of many-- what was wrong with Cersei for being so cold/ uptight with her husband? I was simply pointing out that King Bob's body hair may not have been such a massive turn-on. Well, that, and the rape. :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick: :stillsick:

She could have shaved it for him, that would give that the time to discuss about their relationship (if Bob wasn't drunk yet).

Archived