when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east...

Winter's Breath

In AGOT, Mirri Maz Duur tells Dany, "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before." I thought this was just a cool way of saying never, until Dance. Quentyn, the sun's son, comes from the west and dies in the east. This could be for filling the first part of Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy, which means the other parts will also come to pass. I bet the seas going dry will be when the narrow sea freezes during the long winter, and the mountains blowing away will happen when there is a large volcanic eruption, in Ashai, Valaria, or Hardhome. She could then fall in love with anyone and have a baby.

There are a couple of interpretations on what would happen next. Some think that she will die giving birth and then join Kaul Drogo in the nightlands. But I think she will find him in a dream, like Jon Snow keeps finding Ygritte. In the dream he will help her make a decision about something huge, that will effect the end of everything.

Did anyone else think Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy will come true?

In AGOT, Mirri Maz Duur tells Dany, "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before." I thought this was just a cool way of saying never, until Dance. Quentyn, the sun's son, comes from the west and dies in the east. This could be for filling the first part of Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy, which means the other parts will also come to pass. I bet the seas going dry will be when the narrow sea freezes during the long winter, and the mountains blowing away will happen when there is a large volcanic eruption, in Ashai, Valaria, or Hardhome. She could then fall in love with anyone and have a baby.

There are a couple of interpretations on what would happen next. Some think that she will die giving birth and then join Kaul Drogo in the nightlands. But I think she will find him in a dream, like Jon Snow keeps finding Ygritte. In the dream he will help her make a decision about something huge, that will effect the end of everything.

Did anyone else think Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy will come true?

I do not think riding with Drogo will happen. The sun from west to east is a good thought but she and her story seems the most confusing of all. Who knows.

I don't think it was meant to be a prophecy, but that it abstractly turned into one.

Most of it has actually already happened, or could be interpreted as having already happened.

Sun rising in the west and setting in the east: Quentyn

Seas going dry: Dothraki Sea in a drought

Mountains blowing in the wind: the dragons burning the pyramids of Meereen

Dany has yet to bear a living child, but

something happens at the end of ADWD that strongly suggests that she suffered a miscarriage, which means that her womb has "quickened."

Obviously Drogo himself won't return, and I don't think it refers to the dragon either. Maybe it's Dany death, where she'll be reunited with him. That part, I don't know.

Agree with Danaerys Snow :agree:

MMD taught Daenerys two things - only death can pay for life... killing the person concerned ends the prophecy...

Whatever prophecy MMD made regarding Drogo's return was subsequenetly ended by Dany killing Drogo and then using their lives to pay for the lives of her Dragons... It was a massive 'fuck-you' to MMD ... who screamed - just as Dany said she would! I don't get 'the mountains blowing in the wind like leaves'... even if there was a catastrophic end of the world style event.. it still wouldn't make sense for someone to go "ooo... look at those mountains blowing in the wind like leaves" - it would be an incredibly weak narrative... it would be more-like "fuck ... run!"

If all that nonsense was to come true... i can only see it going one way - Drogo will not return - it could just be Drogon that is referred to being a re-incarnation of Khal Drogo... he might be stolen from Dany or he could choose to leave... the only logic behind this could be his hate of seeing Dany with another mans child... He ditches Dany until she has her mis-carriage... (or causes her miscarriage) then comes back to her...but the prophecy says "when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child" ... so her womb has quickened once but she also has to bear a living child... obviously 'bear' is the correct word to use anyway ... but there might be an outside shout that she could have a baby with Jorah Mormont (hence bear reference) and Drogon could return even more pissed off and gobble up her baby! Dany would have to sacrafice Drogo(n) (again) ... maybe using some sword or summit i don't know... but it sounds like too much hassle anyway... she needs to get her slutty ass back to Westeros... another 9 months of waiting for the next bit of prophecy to come true? ... i hope not...

Tyrion was right when he said to Aegon that he should rally Westeros so when he meets Dany they meet as equals... what he didn't mention was that this nonsense with the Iron Throne is just a petty war in the grand scheme of things - It will be Jon Snow rallying Westeros in the war for the dawn... which is a little bit more important ;) If she has a baby - it had better be with Jon Snow... and if Drogo returns i hope there is a really awkward moment when Dany has to introduce the two - at which pont Jon cuts Drogo's head off and makes some Barristan-like comment about "the importance of wearing armor"...

I personally believe that he'll come back as Rhaego.. who isn't dead and the Dothraki took away from her before she could pull some crazy-white-she-devil crap with him and ruin the Stallion that Mounts the World. Perhaps Rhaego will look incredibly like Drogo..

I know I'm totally grasping at straws. @_@

I will repeat my theory:

This prophecy is fulfilled:

Drogo came bac: in the form of Drogon... Dany finally tamed him, and the end of Dance, her bleeding, shows she can bear a child again!

Pretty much how I see it!

But then again Martin has the tedancy to go and surprise us, but if so, no with another prophecy or continuing this 'supposed' one, there are far too many that need to be answered and settled!

I don't think it was meant to be a prophecy, but that it abstractly turned into one.

Most of it has actually already happened, or could be interpreted as having already happened.

Sun rising in the west and setting in the east: Quentyn

Seas going dry: Dothraki Sea in a drought

Mountains blowing in the wind: the dragons burning the pyramids of Meereen

Dany has yet to bear a living child, but

something happens at the end of ADWD that strongly suggests that she suffered a miscarriage, which means that her womb has "quickened."

Obviously Drogo himself won't return, and I don't think it refers to the dragon either. Maybe it's Dany death, where she'll be reunited with him. That part, I don't know.

At the end of the chapter that the prophecy was said, Dany is bathing Drogo. Dany repeats the prophecy to Drogo but she says to him "when my womb quickens again, and I bear a living child. Then you will return, my sun-and-stars, and not before."

It may be that Dany will have a child by someone else and that someone may also become her sun-and-stars.

i do not think it was a prophecy at all. she was just having a laugh at dany i believe. i f the sun referred to quentyn why didn't she say the sun's son or use the sigil like the others do ( quaith, HOU). and Drogo cannot come back as drogon. but that's me

People have used different imagery in prophecies before (look at the Red Wedding, it was predicted by, what, like three or four different people, and no two visions were exactly alike). I don't think that it means anything that "the sun that rises in the west ..." is different language from "the sun's son." Of course it's different, it comes from two different people.

I don't think it was meant to be a prophecy. It just sort of half-assedly turned into one.

I don't think it was meant to be a prophecy. It just sort of half-assedly turned into one.

I wonder if that isn't the point. That people can interpret anything they want...the quatrains of Nostradamus a good example. Maybe it wasn't meant to be a prophecy or a curse, but because some events can be interpreted in that light...it's becoming a curse.

Does that make any sense? Kind of the idea of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It wasn't true until someone believed it was true.

I wonder if that isn't the point. That people can interpret anything they want...the quatrains of Nostradamus a good example. Maybe it wasn't meant to be a prophecy or a curse, but because some events can be interpreted in that light...it's becoming a curse.

Does that make any sense? Kind of the idea of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It wasn't true until someone believed it was true.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I agree. The joke, if anything, is on MMD. She fully intended to say, "Never," but that isn't how it's turning out.

All these prophecies make some sort of sense except the Mormont one. IMO Dany will have another child with another man THEN fall in love with him and he becomes her Sun-and-Stars.

Mayhaps Victarion? She'll probably hate him at first.

God that would not be the niciest of sights! :P

I think alot of people want it to be Jorah Mormont, should that scenario play out! Yet could end up being someone horrible such as Euron!

Archived