Is Tyrion really the Valonquar?

No True Lady

What if Tyrion is not really the Valonquar (little brother) foretold by Maggy? Maybe Cersei took the "little" part too literally because there are plenty of younger brothers running around.

Just off the top of my head, the following characters are all younger brothers: Bran, Rickon, Stannis, Tommen, Theon and even Trystane Martell. Also, possibly Edric Dayne (we don't know if he has any older siblings but he might), and I can't remember if Jaime was born first or if Cersei was (wouldn't that be the twist of all twists?)

And of course

Aegon is a candidate because he was the younger of Rhaegar's two kids - that is, if you believe he really is Aegon.

A lot of people believe Jaime will turn out to be Cersei's valonqar and will be the one to kill her, me included.

The prophecy did refer to "the" valonqar and not "your" valonqar, so it could be anybody's little brother, however, Jaime killing his sister would be the one that makes most sense, drama-wise.

I'd like for Arya to kill her as well. She's been referred to as a boy many times and Cersei has been in her prayers for a long long time now, so who knows ? I personally would like that.

I gave it some more thought at I realized Jaime probably isn't the Valonquar. Killing Cersei would negate his whole journey of self-discovery. He doesn't seem to regret what he did with her in the past; he just doesn't want to do it any more. Besides, he's already turned his back on Cersei. I think that's all the "new" Jaime is likely to do to her.

I have a weird feeling it's going to be Tommen...somehow.

I don't think Jaime killing Cersei would ruin his self-discovery. He's already kicked her out of his life essentially. Plus, he'd be doing the realm a huge favor. I agree with the notion Jaime is possibly the real valonquar since Tyrion is the obvious choice to Cersei but that would be way too easy in this series.

At the end of AFFC, Cersie is in trouble. And the only rescue she can hope for would come from her twin-brother. The fact that Jaime refuses to help her out, could be seen as a stab in the back. Suppose Cersie dies. It could be argued that that happened because of Jaime, who refused to help her. So right now, we already have a scenario where her death could be blaimed on Jaime.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Cercei's interpretation of the prophecy is completely wrong so any of her suspects will not be involved.

Other candidates for the Valonquar, besides the ones mentioned, are Stannis, Loras, Kevan Lannister even Jon (if he is younger than Robb).

Stannis - because he thinks he is the rightful king.

Loras - to avenge what she has done to his sister.

Kevan - because she didn't let him rule.

Jon - because he is awesome and because a Stark must be given the change to kill a major Lannister and get some revenge.

The young queen - Marguery is too obvious. She is giving Cercei a hard time but I think this is nothing compared with what's to come. I think she will survive her current troubles (without Jaime's help) only to face a stronger queen. At this point Dany, Arienne and Sansa are possible candidates. All of them have been describes as exceptionally beautiful.

It would be kind of funny, if, in the end, Cersei really was undone by Tyrion. I doubt he is the Valonquar, though, and that would not really be the most interesting possibility as it would be too obvious and basic. One thing that makes Jaime seem to be a strong candidate is that Cersei keeps emphasizing her belief that she will perish almost simultaneously with him. It is easy to image the Valonquar strangling Cersei as his/her final act. However, there are a lot of other possibilities; Arya, Sandor Clegane, and some others.

Margaery would make a lot of sense and be a good fit for the queen that would cast Cersei down but that is perhaps too obvious and suspected heavily by Cersei. Could be Daenerys but it would be annoying to see Cersei with too much control over King's Landing for so long (I hope that the deposing of the Lannisters does not happen too late in the story and Daenery's journey to Westeros does not seem very imminent). Not sure how Sansa would fulfill this, but could be her. Arianne might well end up being the one; not too obvious and apparently has some hope of gaining the needed political/military power to do so.

I think it will be Jaime, but Stannis is a possibility. He may be older than her but he's her brother-in-law, Robert's little bro. Just speculating. My money's on Jaime.

There are quite a lot of people who would gladly do the deed, tbh.

In another thread I said I believe that the Valonqar could be a gender neutral word. This confusion also happens with another word in the books. And both words were High Valyrian, if I recall correctly,

For who is curious, beware of a ADWD spoiler:

Cersei asked what 'valonqar' meant, it was 'younger brother'.

It could be a gender neutral term.

She could be murdered by the younger brother / the younger sister.

We know Queen Cersei is on Arya's short list of people to kill.

Arya has learned the tricks and the trade of killing.

In ADWD she has done her first ordered 'hit' and she has done a few of her own initiative.

It could be the meaning of getting Arya to Braavos and for her being educated there and bring her back in the Westeros story with something that is important for the story.

I had an interesting thought about the queen opposing Cersei. I do not think this scenario is likely and it ventures kind of close to crackpotish territory. But say Stannis actually is the Valonqar, could it be that the Queen is........Melisandre? While I consider entirely possible that Stannis will eventually win the Iron Throne, I doubt that he is the Valonqar (it is within the realm of possibility though). Melisandre is not a literal queen and is not likely to become one however many characters in the book note that she functions as Stannis's red shadow and basically operates as his true queen. She could also be considered as fitting the "younger, more beautiful" part. Stannis would no doubt execute Cersei if given the chance, although strangling doesn't sound like his style. Stannis and Melisandre both fitting into the prophecy would be two of the less suspected possibilities and a strange turn of events for Cersei.

I do not think that the above scenario is probable but it is nonetheless interesting and would fit most of the prophecy's conditions. The biggest problem is to what degree Melisandre could be counted as a "queen." While visions/prophecies are usually symoblic, a lot of the series' predictions turn out unusually literally.

I think that Jaime is the most likely candidate for being the Valonqar although many of the other options have pretty decent chances of turning out to be this person.

OK, if Sandor Clegane survives he is The Mountain's little brother, at least in comparison. At his last appearance* he hadn't quite expired and you can't count anyone out unless you know they are dead once and for all time. Arya didn't give him the coup de grace. How many time has Beric come back? Catelyn?

And he has a thing for Sansa.

Another possibility, Bran in his wolf form.

*As of AFFC

I wouldn't include Jaime just because the prophecy was "hands" and we all know Jaime is lacking one of those. Then again, maybe that golden hand is more flexible than it seems?

Actually, that might be fitting. He killed mad Aerys with a golden sword and he'll kill mad Cersei with his golden hand.

I definitely picked up on the fact that Jaime is another little brother - and one who seems to be having a rapid and deep change of heart. Plus Cersei is being absolutely ridiculous throughout this entire story...so it seems like Jaime would be the one to do it.

But if Tyrion isnt dead yet he's still a possibility. When Jaime's aunt referred to Tyrion as "Tywin's son" I felt almost proud of the little guy - who is, by far, my favorite character so far.

I had an interesting thought about the queen opposing Cersei. I do not think this scenario is likely and it ventures kind of close to crackpotish territory. But say Stannis actually is the Valonqar, could it be that the Queen is........Melisandre? While I consider entirely possible that Stannis will eventually win the Iron Throne, I doubt that he is the Valonqar (it is within the realm of possibility though). Melisandre is not a literal queen and is not likely to become one however many characters in the book note that she functions as Stannis's red shadow and basically operates as his true queen. She could also be considered as fitting the "younger, more beautiful" part. Stannis would no doubt execute Cersei if given the chance, although strangling doesn't sound like his style. Stannis and Melisandre both fitting into the prophecy would be two of the less suspected possibilities and a strange turn of events for Cersei.

I do not think that the above scenario is probable but it is nonetheless interesting and would fit most of the prophecy's conditions. The biggest problem is to what degree Melisandre could be counted as a "queen." While visions/prophecies are usually symoblic, a lot of the series' predictions turn out unusually literally.

I think that Jaime is the most likely candidate for being the Valonqar although many of the other options have pretty decent chances of turning out to be this person.

I would not mind this being how the prophecy turns out. Especially with Stannis claiming the throne. ^_^

Archived