Is Tyrion really the Valonquar?

No True Lady

What if Tyrion is not really the Valonquar (little brother) foretold by Maggy? Maybe Cersei took the "little" part too literally because there are plenty of younger brothers running around.

Just off the top of my head, the following characters are all younger brothers: Bran, Rickon, Stannis, Tommen, Theon and even Trystane Martell. Also, possibly Edric Dayne (we don't know if he has any older siblings but he might), and I can't remember if Jaime was born first or if Cersei was (wouldn't that be the twist of all twists?)

And of course

Aegon is a candidate because he was the younger of Rhaegar's two kids - that is, if you believe he really is Aegon.

Jaime is the younger twin. He came out of the womb holding Cersei's heel.

I gave it some more thought at I realized Jaime probably isn't the Valonquar. Killing Cersei would negate his whole journey of self-discovery. He doesn't seem to regret what he did with her in the past; he just doesn't want to do it any more. Besides, he's already turned his back on Cersei. I think that's all the "new" Jaime is likely to do to her.

I have a weird feeling it's going to be Tommen...somehow.

I feel like it will be Jaime. I don't think that Jaime killing Cersei would negate his self deiscovery and trying to reclaim his honor if he did it in defense of the King or even in defense of somone else.

Tyrion is the obvious choice to Cersei but that would be way too easy in this series.

For that reason I think it probably is him, there have been times Martin has told us what's going to happen (Danys vision and Robbs fate spring to mind) but it's dismissed. I like the poetic irony and twist that the reader has got so convinced of Cersei's growing insanity and paranoia and it to turn out she was right all along.

What if Tyrion is not really the Valonquar (little brother) foretold by Maggy? Maybe Cersei took the "little" part too literally because there are plenty of younger brothers running around.

Just off the top of my head, the following characters are all younger brothers: Bran, Rickon, Stannis, Tommen, Theon and even Trystane Martell. Also, possibly Edric Dayne (we don't know if he has any older siblings but he might), and I can't remember if Jaime was born first or if Cersei was (wouldn't that be the twist of all twists?)

And of course

Aegon is a candidate because he was the younger of Rhaegar's two kids - that is, if you believe he really is Aegon.

Jaime IS younger than Cersei. By minutes.

It seems too obvious for it to be Tyrion and as dramatic as it would be for Jaime to kill her I don't see it as likely. But it might be Stannis, Bran i mean I'm tired of Lannister asses on the throne but I feel like it might just be Danaerys i mean with the line by Aemon about dragons gender and Danaerys taking on blood riders it's just a "hmmm?" kinda thought :)

I don't know really the word little brother is vague enough to be anyone but also hold onto some omnious nature.

personal i think it would be perfect if it was Tommen i love the little guy and i mean he's Joff's little brother.

It will probably end up being someone random enough though like Brynden Blackfish but w/e :)

Well, if it was Jaime, I'm guessing he'll have to get to a "point of no return"-- maybe he's already there? He'd become a kinslayer as well as a kingslayer, so not sure what would drive him to that.

Who knows, but I honestly doubt it will be Tyrion-- well, maybe. ;)

Littlefinger is my guess. He worked with the Tyrells to kill Joffrey and based on his conversations with Sansa he has a strong distaste for Cersei and the way she is running the realm. To increase his own power he will probably work with the Tyrells to try and remove Myrcella and Tommen and plant himself back as a high lord in Highgarden or somewhere near Kings Landing.

Little Brother = Little Finger....me thinks its possible.

For that reason I think it probably is him, there have been times Martin has told us what's going to happen (Danys vision and Robbs fate spring to mind) but it's dismissed. I like the poetic irony and twist that the reader has got so convinced of Cersei's growing insanity and paranoia and it to turn out she was right all along.

That would suffice :) . The word may also turn out to be gender-neutral.

Littlefinger is my guess. He worked with the Tyrells to kill Joffrey and based on his conversations with Sansa he has a strong distaste for Cersei and the way she is running the realm. To increase his own power he will probably work with the Tyrells to try and remove Myrcella and Tommen and plant himself back as a high lord in Highgarden or somewhere near Kings Landing. Little Brother = Little Finger....me thinks its possible.

This is quite possible. Petyr seems to have quite a lot of forward-thinking, a lot more than any other characters, that's for sure...

Also, Cat looked at Petyr as a brother-- So it could be a play on words. As we know, not all prophesies are read/understood correctly, there's always a little wiggle room....

I may relate this topic to the "Jaime and Cersei" topic in this forum : I think Jaime will be the cause of the downfall and death of Cersei, but I wouldn't be surprised that Cersei takes Jaime to his grave too.

Definitely, if she goes down she'll most likely take someone with her.

the signs at the end of Crows are clearly a throw off to keep us guessing , it has to be tyrion i believe , and i think both cersei and margeary are in enough trouble to count miss tryrell out of the race as the 'young queen',, so that leaves dany , or arya , but tryion is definately the valonqar , i think this one time , martin is beng quite literal !

• 3 months later...

In another thread I said I believe that the Valonqar could be a gender neutral word. This confusion also happens with another word in the books. And both words were High Valyrian, if I recall correctly,

For who is curious, beware of a ADWD spoiler:

Cersei asked what 'valonqar' meant, it was 'younger brother'.

It could be a gender neutral term.

She could be murdered by the younger brother / the younger sister.

We know Queen Cersei is on Arya's short list of people to kill.

Arya has learned the tricks and the trade of killing.

In ADWD she has done her first ordered 'hit' and she has done a few of her own initiative.

It could be the meaning of getting Arya to Braavos and for her being educated there and bring her back in the Westeros story with something that is important for the story.

My only problem with that is, where/who said it was gender neutral term? It would be sweet if that was the case though. Like others have said i believe it is Jaime... he already starting to lose his affection for her, and who knows something may happen to cause him to have alot of animosity towards her.

oh why did I not find this forum before. I do agree that Jaime is the younger twin, which means its possible. And although it would be great if he is the one to Kill her I think I would appreciate it from Tyrion more. Simply because after everything I have grown to like Jaime, and I think he has changed. Tyrion deserves to be the one to kill her because of all the hell she has put him through with her stupidity, selfishness and paranoia.

There are a couple of things I'd consider. Firstly is that Cersei is never right about anything. Thus she's focussed all her attention on Tyrion her whole life, refusing to believe that he's anything other than the valonqar, while ignoring (for those purposes) the fact that she has another brother. Moreover, as Jaime starts to become more of an individual, rather than a reflection of herself, during his "redemption arc" in AFfC in particular, Cersei doesn't have much time for him. She seems to hold both her brothers in contempt, but she's only concerned about one of them.

However, it might be that her insisting to herself that Tyrion is the valonqar and treating him appropriately has provided the necessary motive for him to become it. It's the sort of stupid thing she'd do.

Narratively, I think Jaime's doing her in would be most satisfying. The most narratively satisfying route seems the one less travelled in this story, though: Martin seems to prefer his plot acs (artfully) tattered and messy. Of course, it doesn't have to be literal. His refusal to help her and burning her letter could be "killing" her by proxy, albeit it's hard to see how.

Archived